HSC Appeals (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Hello. I was just wondering if there was a certain date that you had to appeal by? And has anyone already appealed? If so, what for?

I am contemplating appealing for anxiety and stress, as I get really nauseous during the examinations and I have panic attacks. I'm not sure if my appeal would be accepted, or if appealing would even help me. I know I'd need doctor certificates etc, but I was wondering if anyone knew what special provisions I would get if I appealed? I mean, I doubt extra time will help my panic attacks and nausea.

I just don't know how to cope with feeling absolutely shit during examinations, and I can't even concentrate. I spend most of my days worrying and being anxious about taking exams that I get unmotivated and nervous for no apparent reason..

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think an appeal for that would ever be passed, simply because those symptoms are induced because of circumstances that all HSC students have and must deal with, and their reasoning is that if the majority can cope then you should be able to as well.
The Board is generally very strict, and unless you have backing by multiple GPs and/or psychologists, I cannot see your appeal being passed (regardless of when it is lodged).

A way to help with stress is to try looking up some relaxation techniques on the web, and testing a few to see which ones help you relieve the anxiety. It could be meditation, reading, music or even just going away from your studies for a bit with friends. Try not to concentrate so much on the impact of the exam, and always assume you're going to do fine in the exam - confidence is great because when you're confident it helps to remember information that you wouldn't normally think you could recollect.

G

genius1002

lol... yeh , sure you can appeal.

pfft of course you cant, 99% of the time the reason why you feel bad in exams and stressed is because you know you havent prepared for it.

If you could appeal on those grounds then everyone that didnt do any study for the hsc would just appeal because they felt shit the day of the hsc exam , when they made themselves feel shit because they didnt put any effort in.

Sammy2011

HSC
I'm getting special provisions for Math for similar reasons.

However, I do agree with AquaWhite in saying that these are symptoms experienced by may HSC students at the thought of facing exams, because of the amount of pressure you put on yourself.

In my case, my problem in only in Mathematics, and I have various GP letters and stuff to go with it. I physically become sick after becoming worked up about a Math test (or even public performance of math e.g saying an answer in class), and it gets to the point that I shake very badly.

Though because of my opinion about the fact that many students experience such stress, I'm only sitting in the library (with a supervisor, of course). I don't feel it is fair that I get extra time or anything.

I reiterate what AquaWhite suggested, relaxation tips are brilliant, especially deep breathing. Good luck :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
An appeal of your grades would most likely not get passed. The closest thing you can do (assuming you're still at school) is lodge an EAS application

You can only make the application if you've had something that has severely effected your performance throughout the year. When I made my application I had to get somebody at school to sign off on it, and they never let you know whether your application was accepted or not. A successful EAS application will result in bonus points being added to your existing ATAR at most universities. Note your actual ATAR will not increase.

I can't remember how many points you get from memory but I think it may vary between universities.

Memi

HSC
N/A
I do study for it, and I am well prepared. It's not that I choose to slack off and then get anxious. I physically feel sick when I think about having to take exams in the hall and the 3 hour period etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. I need to make myself feel confident about exams

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm getting special provisions for Math for similar reasons.

However, I do agree with AquaWhite in saying that these are symptoms experienced by may HSC students at the thought of facing exams, because of the amount of pressure you put on yourself.

In my case, my problem in only in Mathematics, and I have various GP letters and stuff to go with it. I physically become sick after becoming worked up about a Math test (or even public performance of math e.g saying an answer in class), and it gets to the point that I shake very badly.

Though because of my opinion about the fact that many students experience such stress, I'm only sitting in the library (with a supervisor, of course). I don't feel it is fair that I get extra time or anything.

I reiterate what AquaWhite suggested, relaxation tips are brilliant, especially deep breathing. Good luck :)
I still really can't see that being passed, and if it were to be, the provisions given would be ever so small.

Sammy2011

HSC
Haha, come tell me that when you can't take a math test because your throwing up :p

Besides, I don't want anything big, I'm just sitting in the library. The school doesn't think it should be an issue, and I have 3 letters from GP's and one from a psychologists.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, come tell me that when you can't take a math test because your throwing up :p

Besides, I don't want anything big, I'm just sitting in the library. The school doesn't think it should be an issue, and I have 3 letters from GP's and one from a psychologists.
Okay, what the f- is wrong with you!? How can you become so ill only for maths exams - that is the most bizarre thing I have heard of today.

Sammy2011

HSC
This is true, its extreamly bisarre and messed up- and trust me when I saw its as strange to me as it is to everyone else.

It started in year 8 when I would just get the normal nerves etc before an exam, and progressed to this point. In class, if the teacher looks over my shoulder or asks a question, I shake (especially my legs), so bad that I often can't write/ make an annoying thumping noise that disrupts my classmates. In an exam (normally before), I have to rush out of class to be sick.

It is really strange, but the psychologist had a fancy word for it, which essentially meant that I experience a great anxiety over one particular thing.

Kralex

HSC
Sammy your case seems legit but its bullshit to apply for anxiety/stress. If you do not suffer from either during HSC you are a god.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I get the same symptoms as you OP before exams. As of recently I overcame this predicament by keeping my mind occupied with something else before the exam, e.g. induced by music.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Sammy your case seems legit but its bullshit to apply for anxiety/stress. If you do not suffer from either during HSC you are a god.
I wasn't nervous for the HSC finals. Only the first English paper was I worried whatsoever, and then just concerned in the second English paper about time - but it was all okay.

You've got to be more confident in yourself and your answers.

Kralex

HSC
I wasn't nervous for the HSC finals. Only the first English paper was I worried whatsoever, and then just concerned in the second English paper about time - but it was all okay.

You've got to be more confident in yourself and your answers.
HSC finals I wasn't nervous for either cause at that point I thought I was destined for 60s and 70s :p I basically said "fuck it".

Everything before I was a horrible wreck lol.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Omnipotent: I'm so glad to have someone in the same boat with the same symptoms. I will try using music as a source of distraction. May I ask you how you cope during the examination feeling physically nauseous?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Omnipotent: I'm so glad to have someone in the same boat with the same symptoms. I will try using music as a source of distraction. May I ask you how you cope during the examination feeling physically nauseous?
When I put pen on paper, it all disappears because I'm focused on the question. The lead up to it is painful though, try to avoid drinking and eating excessive amounts before an exam. It works for me. Good Luck!

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

Did you apply for special provisions in the school cert?

Just because you have lots of evidence doesn't mean they will give them to you

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It can't hurt to apply for Special Provisions. If your symptoms are as you say they are and you have evidence to back it up, they could give you extra time or similar provisions.

Memi

HSC
N/A
When I put pen on paper, it all disappears because I'm focused on the question. The lead up to it is painful though, try to avoid drinking and eating excessive amounts before an exam. It works for me. Good Luck!
Ah it's great to hear that yours disappears during the exam. Yes, the lead up is absolutely horrid, especially during breakfast etc. Good luck to you too and all the best for your exams !

And Sammy2011: I sincerely hope your appeal gets passed and I definitely feel for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)