Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

Sasky

HSC
duggoh said:
ive accepeted a place at bradfield... that ross yates dude seems really nice!
Yeah, he was heaps cool - so unlike my school principle.
What subs u doing duggoh? U doing it in 1 year?
I'll most prob see u there!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
sasky it depends on your subject background as the extensions should be considered as"year 13" classes per se , so for example when I did 3u Math, I had sat my HSC exam for it a year after my year 10 and had no where near the neccesary background to attempt in a single sitting and this applies to any extension but if you have sufficient background in the subjects you should be fine with the extensions whether it be english, math, music, history or retail.

I also think that anyone who goes to do HSC at TAFE this year should post up the subject offerings at their TAFE so that there is enough info for the people next year

Sasky

HSC
Good idea.

North Sydney:

Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Eng Ext2
Eng Standard
Eng ESL
Maths 2 unit
Maths Ext 1
Maths Ext 2
General Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Economics
Business Studies
Studies of Re 1 Unit
Studies of Re 1 unit (that's what it says)
IPT
Software Design & Development

Bradfield College:

Ancient History
Biology
Business Studies
COmmunity & Family Studies
Contempory Music Practices
Dance
Design
D+T
Drama
Earth & Environ. Science
Eng Standard
Eng Advanced
Eng Extension
Eng Fundamentals
Entertainment
Food Tech
Geog
History Ext
Hospitality - Accom
Hospitality - Cooking/Catering
IPT
IT
Legal Studies
Maths General
Maths 2
Maths Extension
Media & Performance
Modern History
Music I
Office Admin
PDHPE
Photography
Religion
Retail Operations
Science
Soc & Cult
SDD
Sport, Lifestyle & Recreation
Tourism
Visual Arts
Visual Design
Work Studies

There. Thats all the campuses I know - only 2, but my hand hurts. :uhhuh:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Bankstown does but it doesn't have EES, there is only 3 TAFEs in NSW with Math E2 so its that or Nth. Syd or Meadowbank

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Granville & Bradfield tafe are both close to train stations,tried looking through my yellow pages street directory but its only for my local suburbs which doesnt include those tafe. anyone knows any website that has street directoys & maps?
i need to find these location quick! thanks

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
wow so u ppl r going to do ur HSC again...........good luck........hey is it true that they take UAI points off u just coz ur doing it for the second time round......i hear that alot........

seedorf

HSC
N/A
ok..

the impression im getting is that u can only apply for Ultimo TAFE (HSC) through going to their info day. Does anyone know what we are required to bring (Reports, References)??

Thanks in Advance...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
*sigh* I wish people would read what I've already typed u bring ur yr10/CGVE/prelim e.t.c results plus ID, if u have it proof of centrelink & thats about it.

And no UAC does not scale diff. for TAFE goers your performance & statewide scaling is all that matters, generally people state that there is a capping or deductionn of sorts on marks or scaling because they believe TAFE is somehow inferior to school. This is completely and utterly false

leathaface

Can someone help me in solving this dilemma?

I graduated from high school in 2003, my uai was 67.7 and I attended uws doing science... for like... 2 weeks, it was a stupid choice, and I regret it. I was doing jack shit for half a year, only work. So in the second half of 2004, I was signed into TAFE doing a course on advertising (its a diploma).

My results for the first half of the course is...
7 Distinctions
3 Credits
2 Passes
2 Fails

I also applied for uni through UAC, first preference being a business course (marketing) in UMAQ. I've also got choices in commerce in UNSW as well as Media and communications in UNSW. As Advertising is what I want to do in the future.

I've also been thinking about repeating the HSC, i'm relieved to hear that I can just go in and repeat the year 12 course since i've done prelim before. But at the moment I'm faced with two choices...

a) Continue to do Diploma if I don't get into uni
b) Do HSC and try to get a good mark as I feel more confident this time

Right now all I can do is wait until wednesday when I get my results. But what if I don't get into university... I have no idea at the moment...

So if you was in my shoes, what would you have done? do you think going back to the HSC this year would be much safer bet then completing the diploma course? I mean, like doing HSC course at TAFE makes it easier to get into uni then diploma because you are getting a UAI and with Diploma the subject corordinator looks into your results and decides for him/herself?

Please help... I don't want to waste anymore time now... please help me

OH ANOTHER THING: If I just go straight into the HSC course this year, do I have to redo my subjects that I was doing when I was doing HSC in 2003? Or Can I chose something completely new?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If I was in your shoes I would continue diploma while doing a few subjects for the HSC that you think you can perform well in as the university will still take your UAI into account if you have a diploma like 50/50 so if you get a substantially higher UAI and you finish a Diploma then you will be able to access basically any course. In addition your Diploma can count for up to 2 years credit towards some degrees and it would look real good on your CV when you have a Bachelor & a Diploma. You should also look into the fact that your studies at TAFE so far may give you advanced standing in certain category B courses.
You can also pick almost any subject you want as there are combined Prelim/HSC year courses at the majority of HSC TAFEs. You are also not forced to pick any subject you don't want whether you have attempted them previously or not.

Last edited:

leathaface

Doing Diploma and HSC at the same time? How does that work?

Because I only intended to do one or the other... Because the reason for this is that I failed two courses and I have two passes, so its not an overall distinction average right?

And BTW: is applying for UAC with a only half completed Diploma good or not? Like still doing diploma... but I applied in UAC.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
What matters is your certification, anything Certificate IV and higher gets considered 50/50 with your HSC so at the moment if you finish your Diploma your old UAI will still be taken into account.Less than Certificate IV will not be considered by UAC.Which is why I suggest you do both. It would also be possible for you to both as you do not need another 10 units for your HSC you could choose 2 or 3 subjects and still continue with your Diploma. Then once you have completely finished yur diploma and sat exams for whichever HSC subjects you choose, they would give you greater consideration for the course of your choice.

leathaface

I was thinking you meant do diploma first... finish that then do your HSC... or was I wrong? I should ask TAFE about this because I'm eager to make it to university in 2006, and no later... so its kind desperate.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I mean simultaneously complete dip. & revise HSC

69^boi

HSC
N/A
theres evening classes for HSC, so you can do your certifcate in day and hsc in evening

69^boi

HSC
N/A
dude i reccomend you to ring up tafe asap and ask about the info session which will somewhere in the next 2 weeks and attend it!!. there they just basically lecturs wot courses they have, flexibilty, different option you can do it atc...and they interview & assess you if the hsc program is right for you. Good Luck in your decision.

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
HEY EVERYONE thnx for this thread!!
i did the hsc in 04 and ill be doing it again dis yr at tafe . .{liverpool}
i was wondering whether or not i can do > japanese beg. in 05 even though i didnt study it in yr11&12? if not directly thru tafe . . through OTEN?

thanx in adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)