Flop21

HSC
BUMP lets get some more questions going

"Outline the effect of aldosterone on the control of body fluids. "

Mr_Kap

HSC
BUMP lets get some more questions going

"Outline the effect of aldosterone on the control of body fluids. "
Aldosterone is a hormone which results in the control of body fluids in the kidney by acting on the distal tubes and collecting ducts of the nephron to increase the reabsorption of salt ions and hence water (by osmotic balance) back into the body. In blood containing high salt concentration, there are low levels of aldosterone as it is not needed. However, in blood of low salt concentration Aldosterone levels increase.

Last edited:

duhdevitt

HSC
Aldosterone is a hormone which is produced in the adrenal gland, and is released when the concentration of salts and ions in the blood is low. Aldosterone results in the control of body fluids when it is released into the kidney and acts on the distal tubes and collecting ducts of the nephron increasing the reabsorption of salt ions and hence water back into the body.

Can anyone help on this one?
Aldosterones major function is to regulate blood volume and blood pressure. Example, if there's high excess amount of salt, aldosterones regulation is reduced thus minimising absorption of salt through the nephrons which leads to large amount of salt and water being excreted.

Mr_Kap

HSC
(8 marks)

"Our knowledge of biology is increased by scientists exploring and testing ideas using available technologies. The explanations of scientists are then
verified or modified by the work of later scientists using newer technologies. "

Justify this statement using the work of FOUR named scientists who have contributed to the development of ideas on inheritance.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
(8 marks)

"Our knowledge of biology is increased by scientists exploring and testing ideas using available technologies. The explanations of scientists are then
verified or modified by the work of later scientists using newer technologies. "

Justify this statement using the work of FOUR named scientists who have contributed to the development of ideas on inheritance.
I can only think of Sutton, Mendel and Morgan, which other scientist can I speak about with an adequate amount of information?

Flop21

HSC
I can only think of Sutton, Mendel and Morgan, which other scientist can I speak about with an adequate amount of information?
You can talk about genetics in regards to:

Mendel (had pretty much 0 technology, only mathematics)

Sutton & Boveri (light microscope)

Morgan (unsure what technology he used, so maybe not)

Rosalind Franklin (x-ray diffraction techniques / crystallography)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You can talk about genetics in regards to:

Mendel (had pretty much 0 technology, only mathematics)

Sutton & Boveri (light microscope)

Morgan (unsure what technology he used, so maybe not)

Rosalind Franklin (x-ray diffraction techniques / crystallography)
How could I write at least a paragraph on Franklin's work?

EDIT: And if I can't use Morgan, who else should I speak about?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Mendel - Mendel's studied inheritance and blah blah, proposed 'two inheritence factors' but didn't know what they were.

Sutton AND boveri - behaviour of chromosomes and related to mendel's factors, concluding mendel's factors were genes on chromosomes

beadle and tatum - genes which are on chromosomes are responsible for protein production and hence traits.

Idk how i would write an 8 marker on this. This question is a bitch.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Mendel - Mendel's studied inheritance and blah blah, proposed 'two inheritence factors' but didn't know what they were.

Sutton AND boveri - behaviour of chromosomes and related to mendel's factors, concluding mendel's factors were genes on chromosomes

beadle and tatum - genes, on chromosomes, responsible for protein production and hence traits.

I might give this question a go when I'm free lol.

Flop21

HSC

beadle and tatum - genes, on chromosomes, responsible for protein production and hence traits.

You haven't mentioned anything about the technology, which is pretty much what the question is about.

Btw I can find the sample answer if you guys want.

Mr_Kap

HSC
You haven't mentioned anything about the technology, which is pretty much what the question is about.

i know.

I don't know what techologies.... I was hoping someone could help.
does anyone have the 2014 HSC SUCESS ONE BIO book?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Would punnett squares be considered as "technology"?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
i know.

For Sutton and Boveri mention microscope, and Beadle and Tatutm mention x-rays.

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
Identify the Locations of the following processes: Filtration, Secetion & Reabsorbtion.

Is reabsorbtion strictly in the distal tubule or can it also be the proximal tubule?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Identify the Locations of the following processes: Filtration, Secetion & Reabsorbtion.

Is reabsorbtion strictly in the distal tubule or can it also be the proximal tubule?
Filtration: Glomerulus and bowman's capsule
Reabsorption of glucose and amino acids: Proximal tubule
Reabsorption of water: Loop of hendle
Secretion: Collecting duct

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is artificial pollination actually considered as a "technology"? Why does the sample answers include that?

Flop21

HSC
i know.

Found the marking criteria:

- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the sequence of landmark developments in the understanding of inheritance, with reference to the work of three scientists

- Relates the technology used by each scientist to the development of their ideas

- Provides clear explanations offered by each scientist relevant to the questions explored

- Provides appropriate examples of verification or modification of the work of previous scientists

And here is the sample answer:

Gregor Mendel explored the inheritance of traits in pea plants using artificial pollination. He crossed pure breeding plants to produce the F1 generation. He explored whether the F1 plants had lost the recessive hereditary information from one of their parents by allowing them to self-pollinate and produce offspring.

Gregor Mendel hypothesised that plants possess two inheritable factors for every trait; that these factors separated in gamete formation; that the two factors were restored after fertilisation; and that some factors dominated others.

Sutton used microscopes and staining techniques to explore the behaviour of chromosomes in meiosis, fertilisation and embryonic development. He saw pairs of chromosomes separating during cell division (meiosis), and saw the pairs of chromosomes restored after fertilisation. He related their observations of chromosomes to Mendel’s ideas on the behaviours of factors in inheritance (that numbers of factors halved in gamete formation and restored after fertilisation), concluding that Mendel’s factors were genes on chromosomes.

Beadle and Tatum used X-rays to subject mould to radiation. They showed that some of the mutant mould would not grow on basic medium and required the addition of a specific amino acid. They formulated the concept that one gene led to the production of a specific enzyme. Their results build on the work of Mendel and Sutton in that they showed that genes, on chromosomes, were responsible for the production of proteins and therefore traits.

Flop21

HSC
Is artificial pollination actually considered as a "technology"? Why does the sample answers include that?
It's a reproductive technology (to alter the genetic composition of a population).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)