HSC Biology Marathon 2015 (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
would that answer really get all 8 marks.
Why wouldn't it? It satisfies the marking criteria IMO. But I have no idea, I only assume BOS provides full mark sample answers.

Flop21

HSC
Here's a good question for those doing Communication:

"Assess how structures in the human body that produce, detect and perceive sound enable effective communication. Include examples of these structures in your answer."

Mr_Kap

HSC
Here's a good question for those doing Communication:

"Assess how structures in the human body that produce, detect and perceive sound enable effective communication. Include examples of these structures in your answer."
Marker's feedback: "In better responses, candidates differentiated between the structures that produce, detect and perceive sound, detailing how they work to enable effective communication. Their responses demonstrated coherence and the correct use of scientific principles. Weaker responses often confused detection and perception and identified the structures without making a judgement about their effectiveness in communication. "

Flop21

HSC
Marker's feedback: "In better responses, candidates differentiated between the structures that produce, detect and perceive sound, detailing how they work to enable effective communication. Their responses demonstrated coherence and the correct use of scientific principles. Weaker responses often confused detection and perception and identified the structures without making a judgement about their effectiveness in communication. "
I did this question and I didn't go into enough detail about the actual structures. I thought we had to focus on how they make communication effective, not on how they work. But the sample answer went into a lot of detail on how they work.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Let's start answering questions from core modules (short response questions not 7-8 markers, lol, they'll waste too much of our time).

Explain why Beadle and Tatum hypothesised the "one-gene-one polypeptide" after it was changed from "one gene-one protein" theory. (2 marks).

Mr_Kap

HSC
Let's start answering questions from core modules (short response questions not 7-8 markers, lol, they'll waste too much of our time).

Explain why Beadle and Tatum hypothesised the "one-gene-one polypeptide" after it was changed from "one gene-one protein" theory. (2 marks).
Beadle and Tatum hypothesised the "one-gene-one polypeptide" after their "one gene - one protein" theory,, because genes are not necessarily responsible for the structure of an entire protein, but for EACH (one) polypeptide chain making that protein, so many genes are actually needed to make a protein each having different polypeptides. In other words, not every gene codes for proteins completely (most do), but NOT ALL.

this is from Ahmad Shah Notes.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Beadle and Tatum hypothesised the "one-gene-one polypeptide" after their "one gene - one protein" theory,, because genes are not necessarily responsible for the structure of an entire protein, but for EACH (one) polypeptide chain making that protein, so many genes are actually needed to make a protein each having different polypeptides. In other words, not every gene codes for proteins completely (most do), but NOT ALL.

Man that answer is so good, that's why you gotta use Ahmad Shah's notes over every other set of notes lol.

Flop21

HSC

Can you please link me to his notes?

Chris_S

HSC
This was a question in the paper I did today - distinguish between the terms theory and law. (2 marks)

rand_althor

HSC
There's no "ahmad" notes there. There's notes from someone who's apparently "revised, edited and perfected" them, is that what you use?? I can't find the original notes tho.

But those notes are good, I've actually got them :D
Ah okay, I didn't realise they weren't the original. I've attached what I think are the original ones.

Attachments

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
This was a question in the paper I did today - distinguish between the terms theory and law. (2 marks)
A theory is an idea proposed by someone that is not yet backed up by evidence, a law is a set of rules that something/someone is subjected to.

Lol I honestly just came up with that on the top of my head but it's a really interesting question that I've never seen before.

ifireballx

HSC
Idea not backed up by evidence is more of a hypothesis.
A theory is a hypothesis proven true by evidence. It is something that applies to our current understanding of how something work and it can be modified or disproved in the future. In contrast, a law is a rule that applies to everything no matter what and should be considered true. If the law was untrue, the universe would not exist like law of conservation of energy?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Guys. There are the original Ahmad Shah Idil notes he made in 2006 (they are in the resource section). And then in 2011 I think Osama Elias made an edit of them for both chemistry and Biology. The edited version(revised, edited and perfected) is much better.

Last edited:

Chris_S

HSC
Discuss the importance of the interaction between B cells and T cells in the immune response (4 marks)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Discuss the importance of the interaction between B cells and T cells in the immune response (4 marks)
Here: I'll start it off:

The interaction between B cells and T cells, as per MacFarlene Burenett's clonal selection theory, plays an integral part in the immune response to maintain health, because it is these interactions which lead to the destruction of specific antigens (produced by a pathogen) invading the body.

Someone continue. I've never learnt this before. I didn't even see the dotpoints on this before you posted this question and made me check.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)