HSC Delayed till 9th Nov, Schools Back by Oct, ATAR 20th Jan, Uni Offers from 26th Jan, SRS from 12th Nov (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just realised that many of the current year 12 students will be turning 18 soon or are already 18 so they will be able to vote in the upcoming elections. So any decision may impact the govt's popularity
we can vote them out in the next election lol

we'd be old enough by the next election
For what it's worth, this specific decision is being made by the NSW government and it is the federal election that is upcoming.

But definitely, earlier in this outbreak the federal Liberal government supported Gladys in not locking down early and were critical of other state governments that did lockdown.

vivillon

HSC
But if they did cancel hsc exams, what other ways would we get into uni
I'm honestly so lost w this lol i dont know whats going on anymore

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
what other ways would we get into uni
Early entry schemes based on year 11 results remain effective. For example, WSU's HSC True Reward scheme still has to release their Round 2 and Round 3 offers based on students' year 11 results on 16 September and 18 November respectively.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
But if they did cancel hsc exams, what other ways would we get into uni
I'm honestly so lost w this lol i dont know whats going on anymore
If they couldn't find a way to proctor a standardised HSC exam remotely, they'd have to find another method for aligning the internal results. That's why one of the proposals thrown around was just to have the English exam.

But there could be other approaches like using some combination of a cohorts NAPLAN results, historical HSC results from the school, a combination of those two etc. But they would want to avoid doing that as it isn't the system that teachers, students and parents understand and it wouldn't behave identically which would lead to accusations of it being unfair, which would likely be true for some students/schools.

Or as Jimmy said, it could go back to the old days pre-HSC where each university accepts students on their own merit and school results. But that approach has some serious downsides as can be seen in the US education system.

HSC
Legally they cannot completely cancel the HSC AFAIK..

stressedadfff

HSC
Early entry schemes based on year 11 results remain effective. For example, WSU's HSC True Reward scheme still has to release their Round 2 and Round 3 offers based on students' year 11 results on 16 September and 18 November respectively.
But aren’t those offers conditional so we still need atar or nah

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
But aren’t those offers conditional so we still need atar or nah
That's partially correct. In the case of WSU, the university states:

*Those that apply using their Year 11 results will need to successfully complete the HSC.

Based on this, it seems that completion of the HSC is essential to be eligible for an offer, but not the ATAR itself.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
there’s no way of telling if cases will be under control by the 9th
just cancel it at this point
I don’t think controlling cases will matter anymore by then. The expectation is that the 70% fully vaccinated threshold would have been hit well before then to enable a reopening more broadly, regardless of case numbers.

hellohowslife

HSC

*Those that apply using their Year 11 results will need to successfully complete the HSC.

Based on this, it seems that completion of the HSC is essential to be eligible for an offer, but not the ATAR itself.

Hey, so if I already got an early entry offer for WSU, what do I do? Is there a way to accept it? (just for the time being, its not my highest choice of uni)

DarkOperator618

HSC
yall

my year 9 english teacher isnt happy with this postponement of hsc exams

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I assume if it ever got to that, completing the HSC isn't necessarily the same as sitting the HSC external exams.

For the majority of students, the external exams are either a formality or for determining the marks/ATAR. You're generally well on track for "completing the HSC" if you are sitting the external exams.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
So HSC delayed till the 9th technically means the first exam (English) will be starting then right?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, so if I already got an early entry offer for WSU, what do I do? Is there a way to accept it? (just for the time being, its not my highest choice of uni)
It depends on the information that you received from WSU. Did the university send you an email about your offer? If so, what information relative to your offer did it include?

Since you would still need to complete the HSC, I'm not entirely sure whether that means you can do something about the offer you received (i.e. accept/disregard it) right now or whether you would subsequently receive an actual offer that you can accept or disregard upon completion of your HSC.

specificagent1

HSC

The offer i got simply states that i have to finish the hsc not receive an atar]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)