HSC in 2006. Are these subjects going to scale me down? (1 Viewer)

darkmiracles

HSC
I am quite new to this and I was wondering if the subjects I am doing will scale me down seeing that I do not do any extension courses and I only do 10 units. The subjects I do are: English Advanced, Biology, Ancient History, Industrial Tech and Maths General.
Do you think these subjects will get me a good UAI if I do moderatley well in all of them?

PS: I have already failed one Biology prac worth 20%. Will that matter so much?

HSC
to get 90s uai you'll need high 80s in all of them put it like that basically; they dont scale well excelt for bio/history "slightly"

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
IT scales bad but dont worry about the scaling, if u do well in your courses, you will get a good UAI. Dont let scaling distract you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The higher the mark you can get for those subjects, the less the scaling-down effect will have upon the subjects that don't scale as well.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Scaling only effects you if you let it remember rank and marks also play a big part in your finial HSC mark.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Do you think these subjects will get me a good UAI if I do moderatley well in all of them?
Most subjects will not get you a 'good' UAI if you only do "moderately well" in them. If you get 80 across your specific subjects, then I would estimate a UAI of 70-75 or so. Your rank in your class also counts for quite a bit, although the fact that you failed a Bio prac means that you'll have to put a lot more work into that subject.

That's 10% of your final HSC mark there, since assessments are worth 50%. You'll have to put a lot of work into Bio to pull your class rank up, or else your final Bio mark will get pulled down (not due to scaling, but due to your rank).

I_F

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Forget about scaling altogether. If you work hard, you'll get a decent UAI, regardless of the subjects you're doing. I know of students who took subjects like DT, Visual Arts and Gen Maths, and who got UAIs of 96-97 so subject choice generally has little bearing on the UAI that you can achieve.

Mandy101

HSC
Don't worry about scaling...

I got 93 in General Maths and 88 in English Extension - General Maths counted towards my UAI instead of extension, and gave me a UAI of 99.00.

vg_woz_here

HSC
omg watsup with people and scaling? it pisses me off when i see people who choose subjects based on scaling....

i chose subjects that i am excelling in..and managed to top 3 of them...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Precisely.
Choose subjects you know you'll do well in, subjects which you like, that you have a passion and interest in. If you are genuinely interested in a subject you will probally get better marks than if you do a subjectt hat you dont enjoy (Even if it does scale better).

The entire concept of subject selection by scaling is non-sensical and scaling should not be the main consideration.

HSC
i was only wonderin...im not choosing subjects because of its scaling..its already too late anyway ive chosen mine i was just curious

tennille

HSC
Even if you do high scaling subjects, it doesn't guarantee you a high mark/UAI unless you do well enough in it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you put in the effort and score high in an extension course, you will be greatly rewarded.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
don't worry about scaling that much. look at my subjects for example. even though most them scale not that well, i know that if i perform well i will still get the UAI that i desire. thus i barely even think of the scaling process for subjects.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
He means you can't rely on subject scaling to bring poor marks up to a UAI over 90 - you'll have to get good marks in the exams to do well. Which everyone has to do anyway. :)

I_F

vg_woz_here

HSC
you cant rely on scaling to get a uai of 90+ ur not gonna get scaled if you perform really bad in it!!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
darkmiracles said:
I am quite new to this and I was wondering if the subjects I am doing will scale me down seeing that I do not do any extension courses and I only do 10 units. The subjects I do are: English Advanced, Biology, Ancient History, Industrial Tech and Maths General.

ANY combination of subjects can get you a high UAI provided you do well and do what interests you. I did 10 units, no extension courses and some low scalers, but I followed my interests and talents and thus ended up with a UAI over 90, I know others who picked high scalling subjects that they either hated ir didnt do well in and ended up with lower UAI's than others who took 10 units and lower scalling subjects. Don't stress just work hard and you'll be fine...

Oh and dont worry too much about that one bio assess...just work hard and make up for it, in the scheme of the HSC, one assessment wont make or break it, ultimately it is your rank that counts anyway.

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)