Hsc in one week! (3 Viewers)

HSC
shit marks = no job
Really?
Do they actually care about what marks you receive?
I though it was more to do with people skills, experience etc etc. I thought the certificate you receive was just proof and allowing you to get an interview.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Really?
I though it was more to do with people skills, experience etc etc. I thought the certificate you receive was just proof and allowing you to get an interview.
If they do then gg my career

mreditor16

HSC
Really?
from what I hear, they don't care that much about marks, unless it is too many passes or fails. they generally look for people with all those stuff you mentioned, but also decent academics, doesn't have to be spectacular. but good enough (e.g. bare minimum might be credits with one or two Distinctions)

idk - that is from what I've heard :D

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
from what I hear, they don't care that much about marks, unless it is too many passes or fails. they generally look for people with all those stuff you mentioned, but also decent academics, doesn't have to be spectacular. but good enough (e.g. bare minimum might be credits with one or two Distinctions)

idk - that is from what I've heard :D

What I heard is that to land a good graduate job, you would need at least a distinction average

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Don't want to derail the thread but...

Really?
It really depends on the career to be honest, if you want to go into finance marks are quite important. Whilst you may have all the other credentials, others will have the same + a D/HD WAM. Normally marks are just used in the initial screening process, however to get the job obviously you need to get past this initial stage. Again it varies, nursing and teaching wouldn't focus on marks.

What I heard is that to land a good graduate job, you would need at least a distinction average
Yep, it is getting harder and harder with the saturation of graduates on the market. Most people won't walk into a grad job like previously, there are just too many grads for the small amount of grad programs (these programs are costly to run so it is mainly conducted by larger firms). That being said, you can still get into grad jobs with a credit average if you excel in other areas (depends on the industry).

PakiPrince

HSC
Best of luck to all you guys doing the HSC.

Stay positive and study efficient and finish it off.

Good luck!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't want to derail the thread but...

It really depends on the career to be honest, if you want to go into finance marks are quite important. Whilst you may have all the other credentials, others will have the same + a D/HD WAM. Normally marks are just used in the initial screening process, however to get the job obviously you need to get past this initial stage. Again it varies, nursing and teaching wouldn't focus on marks.

Yep, it is getting harder and harder with the saturation of graduates on the market. Most people won't walk into a grad job like previously, there are just too many grads for the small amount of grad programs (these programs are costly to run so it is mainly conducted by larger firms). That being said, you can still get into grad jobs with a credit average if you excel in other areas (depends on the industry).
Yea that make sense.

So like for engineering, if you wanna get into an large firm like BlueSteel, John Holland and etc you need to get good marks.

But to get a job in a small company and like a start up construction company they wont mind that much about your marks ?

But isnt experience an important variable, like an employer would rather hire a person who had experience in a specific field but have a credit average instead of hiring another individual who had a distinction average but no experience ?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Yea that make sense.

So like for engineering, if you wanna get into an large firm like BlueSteel, John Holland and etc you need to get good marks.

But to get a job in a small company and like a start up construction company they wont mind that much about your marks ?

But isnt experience an important variable, like an employer would rather hire a person who had experience in a specific field but have a credit average instead of hiring another individual who had a distinction average but no experience ?
Yes.

I'm not that familiar with the construction industry, square probably knows more about all this engo stuff anyways. However generally speaking, smaller firms not as strict in regards to marks. That being said, you'll find some boutique firms are just as tough to get into as the top tier firms.

Yes, experience is always king however employees still want someone who is balanced. Theoretically, a person with a D and excellent experience would be chosen over a HD kid without experience etc. I wouldn't really focus on that though, just try to get the best marks possible along with great work experience.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
its completely different in year 12. I've doing past papers, first of all, for my revision - i.e. 2014 trial papers from other schools, because the texts for latin change every year :/

so for latin 2u, you have 16 marks of seen translation, 14 marks worth of grammar Qs, 20 marks of short answer analysis questions, and then two 500 word essay questions (analysis again) each worth 10 marks. and then two unseens, each worth 15, and 5 of those marks for each unseen are on grammar Qs regarding the unseen passage, but these Qs are designed to assist your translation :D

frankly, for seen translation, there is about 1000 lines worth of stuff to cover, so I don't have the time to memorise. I just make sure I am familiar with the content, and then translate on the spot on the day. ofc I've seen it before, but I don't rote / memorise seen translation. also for grammar, you revise by doing questions - grammar in HSC is multiple choice btw.

and then for analysis, you practice past Qs and revise the analysis you have done.

and for unseens, you practice unseens from sources.

for vocab, there is frankly too much. BOSTES has in their syllabus that you need to know this much:

now, I and most people in my class don't have the time to memorise all that. so any words that come up in our seen or unseens that are on this list we memorise. the reason the list above is important is because, in the HSC, for unseens, they will only give vocab that is not on the list. i.e. if a word is on the list above, you're expected to know its meaning and thus its meaning won't be given in unseens. :/

for reference for everyone, here was the 2U exam I had to sit this year :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jYtUdI5WXbTVJxbnBqb2FvZTA/view?usp=sharing
That's why one needs a time turner :eek:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Why isn't maths compulsory. No one is going to use shakespeare or anything from english.

MATHS - you will find the volumes of pools to determine how much water needs to put in.
- complex numbers, without this, no electricity.
- mechanics/physics, without an understanding of this, we would never know anything about forces, nor friction or how to implement these forces into our cars and tyres (friction)

English is pointless

There is more to be listed but have to get back to english :(
Shakespeare is beautiful though...

SuchSmallHands

HSC
its completely different in year 12. I've doing past papers, first of all, for my revision - i.e. 2014 trial papers from other schools, because the texts for latin change every year :/

so for latin 2u, you have 16 marks of seen translation, 14 marks worth of grammar Qs, 20 marks of short answer analysis questions, and then two 500 word essay questions (analysis again) each worth 10 marks. and then two unseens, each worth 15, and 5 of those marks for each unseen are on grammar Qs regarding the unseen passage, but these Qs are designed to assist your translation :D

frankly, for seen translation, there is about 1000 lines worth of stuff to cover, so I don't have the time to memorise. I just make sure I am familiar with the content, and then translate on the spot on the day. ofc I've seen it before, but I don't rote / memorise seen translation. also for grammar, you revise by doing questions - grammar in HSC is multiple choice btw.

and then for analysis, you practice past Qs and revise the analysis you have done.

and for unseens, you practice unseens from sources.

for vocab, there is frankly too much. BOSTES has in their syllabus that you need to know this much:

now, I and most people in my class don't have the time to memorise all that. so any words that come up in our seen or unseens that are on this list we memorise. the reason the list above is important is because, in the HSC, for unseens, they will only give vocab that is not on the list. i.e. if a word is on the list above, you're expected to know its meaning and thus its meaning won't be given in unseens. :/

for reference for everyone, here was the 2U exam I had to sit this year :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jYtUdI5WXbTVJxbnBqb2FvZTA/view?usp=sharing
Shit! I wish they gave me something that extensive for French, we're supposed to basically divine what is expected that we know on our own. There's a couple of constructions we're told we need but we don't get anything like that. It's sort of like 'French: go'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)