HSC marks in Newspaper (1 Viewer)

taminam

HSC
Hey I was wondering, can the actual UAI's of those who recieved 90 or above be published in the newspaper?

vizman

HSC
the uai is strictly private (bar universities etc obviously) . no one but you knows what uai you got.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Some years ago many private schools, and some public ones, were putting congratulations messages in the papers naming the students with UAIs over 90.

The government was then embarrassed when it was revealed that one school had no student get a UAI over 50. It was the front page of the Telegraph.

The government then decided to change the rules regarding the UAI. First off it wasn't sent with the HSC results but the next day. Then schools weren't given the UAI. Then they made it law that if you don't want to tell anyone that is your right. Your school will probably ask you, if they haven't already, but you can refuse to tell them.

Obviously the universities get them through UAC but that is because they are the only people to whom they really have meaning.

NovaAesa

HSC
My principal rang around to all the people in my year asking what UAI they got. And then sent the top 3 into the local newspaper (with our permission of course). I got the second highest UAI in my school so I got my name, picture and score in the newspaper!

HSC
our school sent a letter back to us along with our references with this questionnaire style thing which asked us what UAI we got and how we felt about it and then what further study we wanted to do etc etc ...

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
we had a morning tea and the careers advisor was like a hawk asking everyone their UAIs...well all the teachers were pretty interested anyway so if she didn't find out then the teachers would've passed em on. Though i think my school (and most others) would do it for statistical purposes - to see what happens to kids from your school and how your school is improving , how the faculties have improved/could improve and how this has ultimately impacted your further study.
also what options to stress more to you ie. UWS and UOW were stressed to the non-selective kids at our school, and i mean STRESSED it was rammed down their and our throats too...kinda scary but when you think about it, the bonus point system is what allows some of those people to go to uni, so i reckon it's all worth it in the end :D

hope i made some sense amongst all that rambling

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
ahen said:
we had a morning tea and the careers advisor was like a hawk asking everyone their UAIs...well all the teachers were pretty interested anyway so if she didn't find out then the teachers would've passed em on. Though i think my school (and most others) would do it for statistical purposes - to see what happens to kids from your school and how your school is improving , how the faculties have improved/could improve and how this has ultimately impacted your further study.
also what options to stress more to you ie. UWS and UOW were stressed to the non-selective kids at our school, and i mean STRESSED it was rammed down their and our throats too...kinda scary but when you think about it, the bonus point system is what allows some of those people to go to uni, so i reckon it's all worth it in the end :D

hope i made some sense amongst all that rambling
Us too, expect without the whole "hawk" thing mostly because more than half the students didn't turn up to the morning tea and the teachers are just glad that we didn't screw up English this year (unlike 2006). Our school sends us a letter around January to ask about our UAIs 'cause those who get above 98 go on the honour board. And they want to compile statistics to entice new students into our school.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
cem said:
The government was then embarrassed when it was revealed that one school had no student get a UAI over 50. It was the front page of the Telegraph.
haha go Mt Druitt High School
Mt Druitt was the only school in the state which did not have at least one student with a TER above 50. A sub-head said the school's best student had "scored" 44.4 out of 100.
http://beta.austlii.edu.au/au/other/apc/1997/11.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)