HSC Mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

math man

HSC
N/A
Yeah I know what the MVT is, but I don't really get how your proof of seanieg89's question actually works (like how do you assume f'(c) is constant o_O, presumably as you range x and y)
if f(x) is my function then f'(x) is my derivative, so subbing c into the derivative, i.e f'(c), will give me a constant

hup

HSC
N/A

you cannot assume that

Last edited:

hup

HSC
N/A

now is a solution like this accepted?
I also do not have another question...someone else can put one up.
idk if you can use induction like that it's like taking the easy way out

Last edited:

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
yeah neither do I...
also I skip too many steps -.-

Last edited:

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
start with

as for then .
So as any irrational (< 1)^n is even smaller, then as . Apply that to my solution as relevant and it should be good (too lazy to do it again).

Yeah the above will need alot more work to suit a proper solution...just a general idea.

I'm still curious as to whether you can use induction...it's obviously the longer process, but the easier way out when you don't think of the obvious...can anyone clarify?

Last edited:

apollo1

Banned
HSC
question similar to this in 2005 hsc where induction was used.

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
Hmm okay. Personally I don't see why it can't be used...but I guess that's the marker's decision. Not mine.

hup

HSC
N/A
you use the series

S = 1+xcisx+(xcisx)^2+....+(xcisx)^n

then sum it using a gp and equate the real parts

for it to conerge |r| if r is the common ratio must be <1

but since r is xcisx then |r| = x

so x<1 for it to converge?

largarithmic

HSC
you use the series

S = 1+xcisx+(xcisx)^2+....+(xcisx)^n

then sum it using a gp and equate the real parts

for it to conerge |r| if r is the common ratio must be <1

but since r is xcisx then |r| = x

so x<1 for it to converge?
you mean |x| < 1, negative values of x and zero still work

to make sure the GP converges, do it like this:

So if we let
which converges as n->infinity if |z| < 1, and diverges if |z|>1. If |z|=1, i.e. x = 1 or -1, it neither converges nor diverges: it just sorta oscillates around the place (although, since 1 is not a rational multiple of pi, its not actually periodic but rather slightly chaotic). Clearly |z| = |x|, so it converges iff |x|<1, goes weird if |x| = 1 and diverges if |x| > 1.

Cool question!

EDIT: oh wait I kinda messed it up because I showed the cis sum diverges, not Re(cissum). Its pretty easy to do that though I think:

Now note that as n goes to infinity, the demoninator remains the same while the numerator converges if |x|<1. For |x|>=1, its a lot more complicated but it certainly doesnt converge; it doesnt necessarily "increase without bound though", it sorta oscillates whilst "diverging" at the same time (I dont actually know the technical definition of diverging so yeah, in this case a function like xsinx diverges even though it has zeroes for arbitrarily large x)

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
you mean |x| < 1, negative values of x and zero still work

to make sure the GP converges, do it like this:

So if we let
which converges as n->infinity if |z| < 1, and diverges if |z|>1. If |z|=1, i.e. x = 1 or -1, it neither converges nor diverges: it just sorta oscillates around the place (although, since 1 is not a rational multiple of pi, its not actually periodic but rather slightly chaotic). Clearly |z| = |x|, so it converges iff |x|<1, goes weird if |x| = 1 and diverges if |x| > 1.

Cool question!
Exactly, and your mention of the chaotic nature of the partial sums for certain x brings up an interesting point...consider the same problem if you replace the series by:

(Considerably harder than the geometric series case)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)