HSC performance pieces (1 Viewer)

Gevaudan

What pieces are you guys playing for HSC performance?

I'm doing
-Verano Poteno by Piazzolla
-Koyunbaba (1st mov.)
-God of the Northern Forest by Philip houghton
-and a jazz improv
all on classical guitar.

Cheers,
Gev

Abraxus

HSC
All of mine are on the piano -

Core: Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (1st movement)
Elect.1: Rondo by Clementi
Elect.2: Allegretto by Mozart
Elect.3: Pachelbel's Cannon

My teacher insisted for me to do 4 performances, because of my abysmal practice viva, haha, and I agree with him. I can't talk about music, its just something that has to be played.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Originally posted by PrincessSJ
I love Pachelbels Canon in D.. thats what i used to study to late at night.. aparently baroque music is good when ur studying?? i dunno if its true, i just like the piece..

good luck with it
xx
what are some other good baroque music that i should listen to when studying? apparently mozart stuff helps you study as well
me:
1) latin groove - victor wooten
2) norwegian wood - lennon/mcartney
3) sometimes i laugh - victor wooten
all on bass guitar

MouNtY

WoW. These peices sound excellent.....You guys must all be very talented musicians.......

All of mine are on vocals (yes i know really shit and simple, but i play everything else very amateurishly.....is that even a word?)

Core: Lionel Richie - Easy
1: Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights
2. Stevie Wonder - Bright Lights
3. Luther Vandross - Impossible Dream

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i'm doing:

Core: Yanada for Solo Oboe by Ross Edwards
Elective 1: Mvts I,II & III from the Sonata in E minor by Loillet originally for two flutes and....
Elective 2: either the first 2 movements from the Oboe Sonata in A minor by Telemann or the first movement from the Concerto In D minor by Alessandro Marcello.... have yet to decide and should probably do so soon. :)

Gevaudan

I hear the Adagio from Marcello on classical guitar recentley, it worked quite well.

neonazi

I am still tossing up between a few pieces. I play piano and sing so I have a fair few options to expore.

Some of the stuff I have been considering is:-
- Suite Bergamsque Prelude by Debussy
- Aurore by Faure
- Djilile by Peter Sculthorpe
- One of the five bagatelles by Carl Vine
- Flow My Tears by John Dowland
- A few of the Chopin nocturnes

For an ensemble I have pretty much decided on a piece from the Stabat Mater by Pergolesi which I will conduct and sing probably. Anyways catch yas all l8a!!!

Aussiechick

HSC
I'm a vocalist and I'm singing
1) Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy version
2) Goodbye to you - Michelle Branch
3) I will Never Leave You - from the musical Sideshow (it's a duet)
4) either I know a Quiet Place which is a classical piece, or Things I'll Never Say - Avril Lavigne - I haven't quite decided yet

miss_pie

HSC
'god bless the child' by billie holiday
'i can see clearly now' by whoever thats by (with a big band yay)
oh and im a singer

olay

HSC
yah i did the prelude from suite bergamesque for my half yrly :) used to love it but i've overplayed it now :) anyway...my hsc pieces [all for piano]:

rigaudan - maurice ravel
sarabande - claude debussy
core: watercolours [movements I - III] - matthew orlovich.

haha neonazi, i think we have similar tastes in music :) djilile is pretty funky, huh :) i hate the 5 bagatelles by carl vine though - that was what i was originally planning to play. then i realised i hated it.

oh, and doony techy - go 'easy' :D i love it!!! hehe i love lionel richie :) one of my fave songs is 'stuck on you'.

CarinaT

These are the piano pieces I'm doing:

MacArthur Park - (sung by Donna Summer)
Bagatelle - (Beethoven)
Sonatina - (Kabalevsky)
Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout - some funky jazz song. :)

I would love to hear you people sing!

cayte

The reason your teacher isn't keen on Moonlight and Pachalbel's Cannon is because they're overplayed because they are so famous. It's a huge danger zone with a piece like that because it's difficult to develop your own interpretation. They may be beautiful but unless you are London/NY Symphony Orchestra soloist material you aren't going to be giving the examiners anything new. They will have probably heard it 10 times that week. Choose something different and interesting if you can, it's not too late to change if you focus. Don't want to be too negative, but I think it's in your best interests (from a 2001 Music 2 student who screwed her Music HSC in another way!!)

olay

HSC
yeah, i'll have to agree with cayte... :S i am so anti-both those pieces [and anything else that is overplayed - but i hate to say, those are the two that get me up the nose the most]. and if u make a glitch, it sticks out like a sore thumb because they know it so well - which is why i'm even hesitant to play 'rigaudon' for the hsc, even though it's not THAT well known. then again, if you make it your own piece - go for it :)

neonazi: haha hurrah :p [about the 5 bagatelles]. yeah, clair de lune sure is beautiful - i was once upon a time contemplating basing my composition on it somehow. :) and wow :D ravel + debussy are two of my fave composers too!!! [debussy being my utmost fave] though not so much sculthorpe.

Abraxus

HSC
Originally posted by stareathesun
No matter what way I play it to the teacher its never enough tho, which sucks. You ever get that?
I do sometimes, especially with the pieces I did in Year 11.

Originally posted by cayte
The reason your teacher isn't keen on Moonlight and Pachalbel's Cannon is because they're overplayed because they are so famous.
That is true, my teacher did point that out to me at the beginning of Year 12. But I did not say that he was reluctant to let me do the Moonlight and Cannon because they were overplayed, I clearly said that he just didn't like the pieces personally and tried making me do things more "impressive". I don't see the point, because I don't want to play pieces I'm not comfortable with and can't play. I've been playing the Cannon repeatedly for the past 3 years, and I've improved so much in the Moonlight I'm proud of myself. I did the Moonlight for a class assessment at the beginning of the year and I got 18/20 for it, and even back then I was still improving on it, and that's quite a good mark from a teacher that doesn't like the piece if you ask me.

I'm already doing 2 unknown pieces for my other electives, I think thats enough.

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
right, tis ok stareatthesun, i understand...

anyways, im a vocalist doing
Lost Without You - duet type thing
A Whole New World - duet
My Immortal - my core
and either Fractions
or a thrice song acoustic. maybe TAITA...

i dunno..

televators

HSC
Hardly any guitarists here, lol!

I'm playing-

Joe Satriani- 'Crying'
Guns n Roses- 'Sweet Child Of Mine'- own solo arrangement

mbevz

HSC
N/A
ahaha farmkids are so good at music coz they've got nothing else to do after they feed the cows :D

anyways im a drummer playing...

access denied - dave weckl
take the veil cerpin taxt - the mars volta
schism - tool

and im still working out what i'll do for my 4th piece....

dont steal my songs heh heh heh

petawb

No singers be ashamed of your talent. It's yet anoher instrument in the enormous scheme of things.

Im a singer myself and Im doing:

Instrument and its repertoire:: Quando Corpus by Rossini

Music of the 21st Century:: Licking Cream by Sevendust

Music for TV/Film:: Shadowland from The lion king (a vocal adaptation of the original flute motif from the film)

Core (Music of the 21st Century):: Last night I had a dream by Joss Stone

Im proud of my singer status and so should you be! Have fun with your pieces and remember: dont do it for the marks, do it for the music.

*random encouragement that would make most people vomit... including me. I apologise.*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)