HSC Physics Marathon 2013-2015 Archive (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
re: HSC Physics Marathon Archive

Where is your diagram! haha ;)

Make sure you talk about the frequency of the signal in the transmitter and the received signal being the same, perhaps also outlining how he showed that they could be polarised, their speed etc..

Re previous question, both would be down due to weight force always being down and using the RHP rule, you will see that when you use the scenario given in the question, your palm faces upwards, indicating force on a negative charge would be down :)

Question:
During your study of the HSC course you were required to identify practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and information about their research.
Outline a current practising male and female scientist, the areas in which they are working and what research they are currently undertaking.
Wow, is this really part of the syllabus?
what even

hayabusaboston

HSC

what even
wot, the practicing scientists thing? ikr! complete bullshit. Its in syllabus section 1 of monitoring n management for chem, idk about phys but seeing this pisses me off.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

what even
I was hoping for this reaction!

You must keep in mind that the syllabus is not just the knowledge and understanding part! Knowledge and Understanding only covers 5 of the 16 outcomes! (Page 15 in syllabus document)

Check page 39 of the syllabus document

Outcome H12 - 12.3 (e)

identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and information about their research

YOU MUST KNOW THE SYLLABUS!

Example:

One Syllabus dot point says 'Discuss impact of development of transformers on society' -- so ppl be like 'awesome, im not going to spend time bothering on impact of development of transformers on environment then as it is not in that dot point.'

K THX U WRONG

Why, you ask?

Page 15 of the syllabus -- outcome H4 'Assess the impacts of applications of physics on society AND THE ENVIRONMENT'

So, they can ask you about the impact of ANYTHING you have studied on society and/or environment.. Even Cathode Ray Tube, Galvanometer, Loudspeaker, Eddy Currents, TV, X-Ray Crystallography, If you do Med Phys Ultrasound, X-Ray, Endoscopy, CAT, Radioactive Imaging..

Gotsta be familiar with the ENTIRE syllabus, not just K & U, homie!

hayabusaboston

HSC

You must keep in mind that the syllabus is not just the knowledge and understanding part! Knowledge and Understanding only covers 5 of the 16 outcomes! (Page 15 in syllabus document)

Outcome H12 - 12.3 (e)

identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, and the areas in which they are currently working and information about their research

Example:

One Syllabus dot point says 'Discuss impact of development of transformers on society' -- so ppl be like 'awesome, im not going to spend time bothering on impact of development of transformers on environment then as it is not in that dot point.'

K THX U WRONG

Why, you ask?

Page 15 of the syllabus -- outcome H4 'Assess the impacts of applications of physics on society AND THE ENVIRONMENT'

So, they can ask you about the impact of ANYTHING you have studied on society and/or environment.. Even Cathode Ray Tube, Galvanometer, Loudspeaker, Eddy Currents, TV, X-Ray Crystallography, If you do Med Phys Ultrasound, X-Ray, Endoscopy, CAT, Radioactive Imaging..

lehahaha
le me smiling

lehahahaha

Sy123 screams about cancerous rote learning, you must know and understand everything, never do rote. LEHAHAHA IS ALL I CAN SAY :p
See sy, the rote component of HSC science is far greater than knowledge and understanding, if you want to succeed in HSC science you must have both.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Outcome H12 - 12.3 (e)

Example:

K THX U WRONG

Why, you ask?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep this in mind if I decide to continue doing Physics, though my decision to drop it is starting to wager in the positive direction.

lehahaha
le me smiling

lehahahaha

Sy123 screams about cancerous rote learning, you must know and understand everything, never do rote. LEHAHAHA IS ALL I CAN SAY :p
See sy, the rote component of HSC science is far greater than knowledge and understanding, if you want to succeed in HSC science you must have both.
Holy shit man, there was a huge thread on this in the General HSC section, I do not deny and I never have denied that success in HSC sciences is not possible with rote learning, of course not.
You are right about me whining about this course's huge emphasis on rote learning, which is why the point of that thread in the HSC section was about me wanting a syllabus change.

But me whining about it won't do me any good and I acknowledge that, which is why sometimes I have to sit there repeating to myself some tedious facts over and over again like I'm 5 years old.

hayabusaboston

HSC

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep this in mind if I decide to continue doing Physics, though my decision to drop it is starting to wager in the positive direction.

Holy shit man, there was a huge thread on this in the General HSC section, I do not deny and I never have denied that success in HSC sciences is not possible with rote learning, of course not.
You are right about me whining about this course's huge emphasis on rote learning, which is why the point of that thread in the HSC section was about me wanting a syllabus change.

But me whining about it won't do me any good and I acknowledge that, which is why sometimes I have to sit there repeating to myself some tedious facts over and over again like I'm 5 years old.
Its a bitch hey? haha.

Indeed, I sure as hell wouldnt mind a syllabus change either, but ive just learnt to deal with it, and do what I have to do for maximum marks.

HAHA that makes me laugh so much! :p thinking of you sitting there just repeating facts to yourself like little kid hahaha
Funny analogy :')

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Stop discussing about the syllabus, this is the marathon thread so keep it that way.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Question: (3 marks)

Red light of wavelength 670nm produces photoelectrons from a certain metal requiring a stopping voltage of 0.5V to prevent photocurrent being registered in an external circuit.
Determine the work function of the metal. Express your answer in electron-Volts.

albertcamus

HSC

Sy, the same applies for Chemistry, and the Chemistry knowledge + understanding part is a lot more content heavy (e.g. Water/Ozone monitoring).

skillstriker

HSC

Question: (3 marks)

Red light of wavelength 670nm produces photoelectrons from a certain metal requiring a stopping voltage of 0.5V to prevent photocurrent being registered in an external circuit.
Determine the work function of the metal. Express your answer in electron-Volts.
Ke = qV = hf - W
rearrange, plug in values...
W = 1.35 eV
is this correct?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Question:
Describe the formation of a P-N Junction and explain how it can act as both an insulator and a conductor

bleakarcher

HSC

Can someone mark my answer to this question: How did Einstein's theory of special relativity and his explanation of the photoelectric effect lead to the reconceptualisation of the model of light?

Here's my answer:
Prior to formulation and popularisation of Einstein’s special theory of relativity, it was strongly believed among the scientific community that light was strictly an electromagnetic wave as suggested by Maxwell’s theory of electromagnetism and due to its wave-like properties such as reflection and diffraction and therefore required a medium known as the luminiferous aether in order to propagate through space. However, upon the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment and the subsequent doubt inflicted on the aether theory of light, the scientific community began to gradually accept Einstein’s theory of special relativity which stated that light, although a wave, did not require a medium to propagate through space but its speed is restricted to c=3*10^8 m/s in all inertial frames of reference. Upon the formulation of Planck’s model of light which considered light to be quantised meaning it consists of discrete packets of energy with zero rest mass known as photons, Einstein was one of the few scientists to seriously consider Planck’s quantisation of light and applied it to successfully explain the photoelectric effect which could not be explained using the classical theory of light. He suggested that in order for the photoelectric effect to occur the photons of light must each carry a certain minimum amount of energy E=hf_0 (work function), where f_0 is the minimum frequency of light required to overcome the electrostatic forces attracting the electron to the metal (threshold frequency). Einstein was awarded the 1921 Nobel peace for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect. Overall, Einstein’s contributions led to the reconceptualisation of the model light as it was sometimes found to act as a photon (particle) and sometimes found to act as a wave however always travelled at the same speed in all inertial reference frames.

It's not that great and I want to know how I can improve it. Thanks.

skillstriker

HSC

a p-type semiconductor (e.g. silicon doped with group III element) is combined with an n-type semiconductor (e.g. silicon doped with group IV element). The p-type part of the PN junction is connected to the positive terminal of a power source and the n-type half is connected to the negative terminal. This set up allows the PN junction to act as a conductor (it is forward biased), as it reduces the width of the depletion zone. It can act as an insulator if it is connected the other way - the depletion zone widens and hence it restricts the flow of current through the PN junction

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

I got the same result. 1.35eV

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

a p-type semiconductor (e.g. silicon doped with group III element) is combined with an n-type semiconductor (e.g. silicon doped with group IV element). The p-type part of the PN junction is connected to the positive terminal of a power source and the n-type half is connected to the negative terminal. This set up allows the PN junction to act as a conductor (it is forward biased), as it reduces the width of the depletion zone. It can act as an insulator if it is connected the other way - the depletion zone widens and hence it restricts the flow of current through the PN junction
I am guessing it is a 3 or 4 marker? Add 2 diagrams to support your answer, then you should get full marks.

JJ345

HSC
N/A

Here is the projectile motion question which I gave my students for their trial.

Only about 10% of students got 4/4

View attachment 28438
I'm not too sure about my answer.

Let y=0 be ground level
y=1/2 a(y)t^2 + u(y) +100
Uy=0, as it is released horizontally---> So y=1/2 a(y)t^2 + 100 (1)
x= U(x)t, Ux=10---> x=10t (2)
tan45=y/x, so y=x
Equating (1) and (2), we get a quadratic equation in terms of t---> solving I got t=3.6 and t=-5.65(t>=0, so ignore this value)
Sub t=3.6s into equation (1) we find a value for y (y= 36.5m) (how far it falls above the ground), so 100-36.5=63.5m is the distance it drops?

Sorry when I say 'y' and 'x' I mean 'delta y' and 'delta x'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)