HSC Physics Marathon 2013-2015 Archive (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdog

HSC
N/A
re: HSC Physics Marathon Archive

A man throws a rock vertically and it reaches a height of 20m. Acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1.6ms-2. What is the speed at which it was thrown on the moon?

Deliriously

HSC

A man throws a rock vertically and it reaches a height of 20m. Acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1.6ms-2. What is the speed at which it was thrown on the moon?
Applying v2 = u2 +2as for y component
u2 = 2(1.6)(20)
u = 8ms^-1

Q: Two satellites X and Y orbit the Earth. The mass of satellite X is twice that of satellite Y. The orbital radius of satellite Y is twice that of satellite X. What is the ratio of the orbital speed of satellite X to the orbital speed of satellite Y. (Was from my trial paper but I don't know where they took it from)

JonskiG

HSC

Q: Two satellites X and Y orbit the Earth. The mass of satellite X is twice that of satellite Y. The orbital radius of satellite Y is twice that of satellite X. What is the ratio of the orbital speed of satellite X to the orbital speed of satellite Y. (Was from my trial paper but I don't know where they took it from)
y = sqrt(GM/2r) x=sqrt(G2M/r)

y:x
1:4

Q: With reference to the photoelectric effect, and pn-junction, explain the operation of a solar cell (4 Marks)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

Hmm that question was actually an MCQ but X:Y 4:1 wasn't one of the options.

They were:
A) 1:1
B) 1: sqrt(2)
C) sqrt(2):1
D) 2:1
Where'd you get this question from? It was in my trials.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad

Good Luck guys. Hope you guys 'kill' the test and give it in 1 piece.

ColdLipstick

HSC

identify three properties of superconductors
- They have no resistance when passed beyond the critical temperature.
- They can expel external magnetic fields.
- Can carry large currents without heat loss.

Outline the roles of the deflection plates and electrodes in an electron gun. (2 marks)

superSAIyan2

HSC

Lol, subbed numbers into calculator wrong. acceleration is -2.857 and max height 103.2. Is this right?

omgiloverice

HSC

In the diagram above, a DC motor contains a rectangular coil consisting of 250 turns and with a width of 15 cm and a length of 30 cm within an 5 T magnetic field. If the coil is parallel to the rectangular magnet and carrying a current of 3A. Calculate the torque experienced by the coil.

Last edited:

Dementured

HSC

- They have no resistance when passed beyond the critical temperature.
- They can expel external magnetic fields.
- Can carry large currents without heat loss.

Outline the roles of the deflection plates and electrodes in an electron gun. (2 marks)

The cathode is heated and produces electrons.
The anode attracts the electrons, accelerating and focusing them.
The deflection plates bend the beam towards a fluorescent screen to produce a picture.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A

In the diagram above, a DC motor contains a rectangular coil consisting of 250 turns and with a width of 15 cm and a length of 30 cm within an 5 T magnetic field. If the coil is parallel to the rectangular magnet and carrying a current of 3A. Calculate the torque experienced by the coil.
(can someone check these pleass)
a) g planet = 10/9 x 25.8 = 28.67ms^-2 = 29ms^-2 (2 sf)

b) The michelson and morley experiment involved shining a monochormatic light onto a tilted half silvered mirror which redirected the light perpendicular to each other, the light reflected off two mirrors and continued to hit the half silvered mirror again, then finally the two seperate lights travelled to the detector. The apparatus was rotated 90 degree and this experiment was repeated. There was a null result. The negative result of the Michelson Morley experiment gave rise to Einstein's theory of special relativity, although the aether model was superflous in his explanation, the negative result innovated him to study the nature of light.

c) T=nbiAx1 (since parallel) = 250 x 5 x x3x0.15x0.3= 168.75 = 170Nm (1sf because only 1 in the question)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A

1) Outline the basis of the slingshot effect and how it is used to conserve fuel on trips to outer space.

2) i) Outline newton's concept of escape velocity and calculate the escape velocity for Earth.
ii) If possible, would an object launched at 12000ms^2 from the ground escape the earth

3) Outline the steps of getting power from the power station to its point of use, comment on why high voltages are used at certain stages.

hayabusaboston

HSC

Is it weird that I feel like I cbf doing these questions, I just want to get exam over and done with already and not have to spend more time agonising over whether I know everything?

Cos Ive covered whole syllabus, feeling quite content, and feel sad when I think about doing more physics than necessary LOL

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

c) T=nbiAx1 (since parallel) = 250 x 5 x x3x0.15x0.3= 168.75 = 170Nm (1sf because only 1 in the question)
That's not 1 sf lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)