HSC Physics Marathon 2013-2015 Archive (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_manu

HSC
re: HSC Physics Marathon Archive

Why is the answer C?
Is it because this a p-n junction?
Don't holes move in opposite direction to electrons?

Somone help please!

Last edited:
HSC

Why is the answer C?

Somone help please!
This is my assumption.
To be carrying a current, it necessitates that electrons flow in opposite directions to the holes. From the right hand palm rule, the flow of holes- conventional current- would be downwards when subjected to the magnetic field. Similarly the electrons will also encounter a downward force (use your left hand) and thus, both would move to the same side of the rod (downwards).

keepLooking

HSC

"Both the positive holes flowing in one direction and the electrons flowing in the other direction will experience a force to the same side of the rod, i.e. the bottom side." - Success One.

Zlatman

HSC

Why is the answer C?

Somone help please!
Use the right-hand palm rule for the holes, and left-hand (or reverse right-hand) palm rule for the electrons.

With the RHPR, point your thumb in the direction of the holes (conventional current) and fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. Your palm will be facing down, so the holes experience a force downwards.

With the LHPR, point your left thumb in the opposite direction to the holes (i.e. in the direction of the electrons) and fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. Again, your palm will be facing down, so the electrons experience a force downwards.

Thus, both the holes and the electrons move to the bottom of the rod.

(lol rekt, got beaten to it twice)

el_manu

HSC

It's a dumb question as "side" could literally mean anything.
The electrons are traveling towards us to the nearest side and holes to the far side. Yet, side the question is talking about is the up or down side. Fuckin dumb question.

Mr_Kap

HSC

this is bullshit and wrong. Using the reverse right hand rule the palm faces upwards, meaning electrons deflect up

atargainz

HSC

this is bullshit and wrong. Using the reverse right hand rule the palm faces upwards, meaning electrons deflect up
This is what I was thinking, already switching to the left hand but in order to get it facing downwards, you would still need to reverse the current (direction of your thumb). I thought changing hands already did this? I could be missing something though

Mr_Kap

HSC

This is what I was thinking, already switching to the left hand but in order to get it facing downwards, you would still need to reverse the current (direction of your thumb). I thought changing hands already did this? I could be missing something though
yeh. If you use the left hand rule then you dont need to change current direction with your thumb. I think this is a faulty answer and the answer should be they move to opposite side

Last edited:
HSC

Uh, I think it's because electrons and holes travel in opposite directions the first place.

HSC

The acceleration of the planet is greater than the deceleration of the planet when leaving. The answer is :
According to the planet there is no change in velocity while in the frame of reference of the sun the spaceship gained speed.
If youre on a planet and you see a spaceship use the slingshot effect there would be no change in speed from your perspective:)
I don't understand, why is there no change in speed from the perspective of the observer on the planet?

keepLooking

HSC

I don't understand, why is there no change in speed from the perspective of the observer on the planet?
Principle of Conservation of Momentum. When the spaceship gains momentum, the planet will lose momentum hence there is no change of speed from the perspective of the observer on the planet.

spatula232

HSC

What's the purpose of the dry ice in a Wilson Cloud Chamber?

mrpotatoed

HSC

Principle of Conservation of Momentum. When the spaceship gains momentum, the planet will lose momentum hence there is no change of speed from the perspective of the observer on the planet.
The velocity change of the planet is negligible though, the velocity change of the spaceship is large

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

What's the purpose of the dry ice in a Wilson Cloud Chamber?
I don't do this option but is it something to do with the dry ice melting to the carbon dioxide gas form and radiation ionising these particles and then there's something about droplets forming a path (beta has a zig zag one iirc) --> tbh I have no idea LOL I came across it a few times in chem though

Mr_Kap

HSC

The velocity change of the planet is negligible though, the velocity change of the spaceship is large
m1v1 = m2v2

The large mass of the planet, compared to the small mass of the spaceship balance out and momntum is conserved

mrpotatoed

HSC

Momentum is the same but the relative velocity would different after the slingshot effect has occurred?

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC

Momentum is the same but the relative velocity would different after the slingshot effect has occurred?
Yes.

For example, if a planet is rotating at 100,000,000,000 km/h, then a spaceship takes advantage using Slingshot Effect and gains 1,000 km/h, that is a large increase of velocity for the spaceship, but barely any decrease for the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)