HSC Physics required for Engineering? (1 Viewer)

Samir97

HSC
How much HSC physics is required for Engineering? I'm currently doing chem and done bio last year for HSC, along with 3u/4u maths and english. Originally wanted to do something in the health field but looking at engineering as a back up, since I believe my maths is strong and can help me in it. Will not knowing much of Physics affect me while studying Engineering?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
HSC Physics is nothing like uni physics, some general concepts are common and might help but it's nothing that wont be easily learnt in uni. No real disadvantage if you havent done physics.

Samir97

HSC
HSC Physics is nothing like uni physics, some general concepts are common and might help but it's nothing that wont be easily learnt in uni. No real disadvantage if you havent done physics.
I hear phys in uni is more mathematical unlike all the content we meed to know for phys, so really if i'm strong with maths then I'll be fine?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was just about to do this when I saw the thread. Forgot one more recent one:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/585/engineering/327616/electrical-engineering.html

Do keep in mind that for Electrical Engineering there is a difference.

Also, if you want to go for something health related, then go for something health related. Engineering is quite different and if you do your research you will find out what you want to do most :)

Samir97

HSC
Hahaha its amazing how useless the subject really is for its main uni course hahaha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hahaha its amazing how useless the subject really is for its main uni course hahaha
I wouldn't say that....

Its just that for most engineering streams you only do one course which is the first semester of Physics, which is like prelim content of moving about except using MX1 and MX2 maths.

I'm doing a compulsory second semester of Physics and there is some overlapping knowledge from HSC. Instead of learning new concepts I am just building on them and learning new applications for them. However it is still all maths, and all the historical stuff is left as an aside (its mentioned in lectures how things came about in history, but its not examinable).

If you do an actual Physics degree, all the relevant theory is useful in concepts (definitely not the HSC method of examining using explain questions and long impact on society and environment type questions and the what not though) but then you apply maths to obtain the results you want to the situations given.

Samir97

HSC
I wouldn't say that....

Its just that for most engineering streams you only do one course which is the first semester of Physics, which is like prelim content of moving about except using MX1 and MX2 maths.

I'm doing a compulsory second semester of Physics and there is some overlapping knowledge from HSC. Instead of learning new concepts I am just building on them and learning new applications for them. However it is still all maths, and all the historical stuff is left as an aside (its mentioned in lectures how things came about in history, but its not examinable).

If you do an actual Physics degree, all the relevant theory is useful in concepts (definitely not the HSC method of examining using explain questions and long impact on society and environment type questions and the what not though) but then you apply maths to obtain the results you want to the situations given.
Makes sense, thanks for that, well as long as its something I shouldnt have much problem going over before starting my uni course, then it should be fine

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Makes sense, thanks for that, well as long as its something I shouldnt have much problem going over before starting my uni course, then it should be fine
You should definitely be fine for first semester and maybe even in the case of Electrical or Telecommunications too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)