HSC plus and AAA scholarship (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
Yeah but someone with 99.4 at a school like Ruse will obviously have bonus points due to their HSC results and will get in anyway. Your point?

Like, I went to a rank 580 school or so - and I could get in either from my 5 HSC plus points (I think that's what it's called?) OR my 5 AAA points.
No, if the ruse kid wanted to do law, then he's not eligible for subject bonus points and would miss out.

Whereas with AAA, you could get into law with the bonus points, even if your atar was nowhere near as good as the ruse kid, simply because you go to a low ranked school where you are relatively the smartest

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, if the ruse kid wanted to do law, then he's not eligible for subject bonus points and would miss out.

Whereas with AAA, you could get into law with the bonus points, even if your atar was nowhere near as good as the ruse kid, simply because you go to a low ranked school where you are relatively the smartest
I didn't know he was talking about Law... but for that situation, it's not like we're letting dumb people into Law. Getting 95+ is still an achievement.

That's a bit of an iffy point, I'll admit.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, i love how some unis just inflate all the atar requirements only to give bonus points to everyone...so technically speaking someone who goes to a stupid school and gets an atar of 95 with AAA can get in whereas someone who gets say 99.4 at a school like ruse will miss out
Hmmm UNSW Law has approximately 100 spots for 1st Year transfers, so a student from Ruse with an ATAR of 99.40 could -easily- get in.

Bobbo1

HSC
Hmmm UNSW Law has approximately 100 spots for 1st Year transfers, so a student from Ruse with an ATAR of 99.40 could -easily- get in.
i think u guys are missing my point, i mean for undergrad law, a person with 95 atar can get in with AAA but not a person with 99.4 atar - since law has no subject bonus points.. it really makes no sense at all

tambam

HSC
i think u guys are missing my point, i mean for undergrad law, a person with 95 atar can get in with AAA but not a person with 99.4 atar - since law has no subject bonus points.. it really makes no sense at all
Yeah, i agree with you. Getting a 99+ atar and JUST missing out on getting into law is completely unfair if you consider that someone at a very low ranked school can get an atar of ~95, achievable by simply getting mid band 5s with certain subjects, could get into law if the school deems them worthy of AAA.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I pretty sure EAS points work for Law (up to 2), so 97.65 ATAR should be suffice. There's a restriction to how many are accepted, whereas AAA is guaranteed entry.

Last edited:

packwolf

HSC
Update: I emailed unsw before starting this thread and they only just replied...

[FONT=&quot]"Thank you for your email and congratulations on your nomination for the UNSW AAA scholarship. One of the benefits of the scholarship is that you are guaranteed an offer into your program of choice at UNSW providing your ATAR is within 5 points of the published cut-off (except for our Medicine program). This is separate to any bonus points scheme and is essentially unaffected by it. Students awarded HSC Plus and Elite Athletes and Performers bonus points in addition to the AAA are advised that a maximum of 10 bonus points will be applied to your application to UNSW in this combination[/FONT]."

Is it correct for me to assume that contrary to this threads advice that i CAN receive HSC plus points in addition to the AAA points?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If they said so, because in the UNSW Undergraduate booklet it allows for 5 bonus points and up to 2 additional EAS.

Dinamo

HSC
If you look at the UAC guide, it states that:
"their ATAR or equivalent (plus any EAS bonus points) is within five points of the published cut-off of their preferred program"-pg 229

My guess is they say only 2, but they'll accept 10 EAS bonus points on top of the five..

packwolf

HSC
If they said so, because in the UNSW Undergraduate booklet it allows for 5 bonus points and up to 2 additional EAS.
I wasn't really asking if they were right or wrong, more whether i had interpreted the email correctly. This is helpful though, cheers.

_deloso

HSC
got an email from unsw

"To answer the question I think you are asking, if you are entitled to HSC Plus points you will receive these and then if you are within 5 ATAR points of the published cut-off you will be made an offer to the program you have chosen by virtue of your nomination for the AAA."

soo yes, you are entitled to get HSC plus with the AAA scholarship.. but max hsc plus points is 5. therefore maximum bonus points are 10 Atar points

K4M1N3

HSC
On the point of AAA scholarship, was so devastated when i heard the nomination from my school is even planning on going to UNSW.....fml.

michaeljennings

HSC
On the point of AAA scholarship, was so devastated when i heard the nomination from my school is even planning on going to UNSW.....fml.
wow thats so pointless =/, our school asked people who putting their first preference as UNSW to write there names down on a list and then they nominated a person from that list

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So, they're planning to go to UNSW? Then what's so bad about that?

Or did you mean they're not planning to go. Then that's tough luck. Or, ask the school to re-nominate someone.

Like I was given the AAA because I had preferences to UNSW and the other girl who was also seen as a potential Dux-contender had put Sydney, Sydney, Sydney...

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
wow thats so pointless =/, our school asked people who putting their first preference as UNSW to write there names down on a list and then they nominated a person from that list
LOL at my school, no one knew about it so I asked my year adviser if they could nominate me and they did :) but then again I was dux of year 11 and 12 so i'd be pissed if they didn't. I'm also elligible for EAS. Would i get guaranteed entry with say... 94?

Aclipse

HSC
i was nominated for this as well,

my principal just emailed me and said that the next stage of the process occur around mid-november

Do I have to do anything, or all i have to do is just wait till they contact me or something

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
its bs

they give it 2 out school cap'n

even if he isnt going

fuckn waste

HSC
Uni Grad
How about HSC plus points in addition with Elite Athletes and Performers. Do they accumulate up to 10 or is it just 5 maximum? :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)