• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hsc rank query (1 Viewer)

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
Hey all.

I'm aiming for an ATAR of at least 95 and just had a question.

I go to a fairly badly ranked school and do mainly humanities and was wondering..

Does only ranking matter in all assessments and examinations before the actual HSC exam?

I currently have excellent ranks in almost all my subjects (with fairly okay marks; around the 80's and 90's) with an exceptionally poor cohort. I'm only ranked badly in Advanced English and flunked my first assessment where I received only 72%.

Thanks!

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for your responses!

Say for example, there are 5 people in 5/5 of my classes.

- I come first in ClassA and B with a close second and ranks third and fourth being miles away,
- I come first in ClassC and D with ranks second and third being not too far away and
- I come second in ClassE with ranks being fairly tight, but not too tight.

What position would I be in and how would those scenarios afefct my ATAR?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
You're doing alright. Should you come first in Class E, then it's all good from there.

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for your response!

Yeah coming first in Class E would be way too difficult. The guy coming first is just too good.

Glad to know I'm in a sound position.

Just another question; How would a relatively poor cohort affect my external HSC exam if I had the ranks posted previously?

nabzilla

HSC
How would a relatively poor cohort affect my external HSC exam if I had the ranks posted previously?
One of the Board members attended our school at the beginning of HSC and told us that our school cohort get ranked against all the other schools, either in the region or state. I'm not completely sure with the details.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ranking is essentially all you need to worry about - but if you're in a terrible school where marks are constantly low, then I would worry about marks too.

mecramarathon

HSC
Rankings for the internal,

but after your HSC trials you should really help boost the performance of the 5 ppl in your class (i.e. work together) to pwn the externals

Official

Bring it on
HSC
BOS takes into account the difference in marks too.

For example, at Fort Street, the top 10 ranked people got the same school external mark (98) for 2 unit mathematics due to how close the school marks were.

97% course mark was rank 10 (just saying)

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
there's only ever going to be one person that challenges me in all of my subjects and I should beat him

however, I presume there's going to be a huge gap between the top 2 and the rest of the class (not that many)

this is all but english where there is actually competition and i'll probably rank 2nd or 3rd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)