hsc related suicides, iv heard about 20 this year (2 Viewers)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
sayuru said:
Mental illness is why this country has a lower qulaity of life(or sumin else that measures the happiness of citizens in countries) than other developed countries....

This country does not have a low quality of life. we are just the same if not better than most developed countries. There is poverty.....lots. Not as much as in America. But poverty is bred from poor education........

I don't like your argument

budj

HSC
to loosen the stress, perhaps adopt somewhat of an ACT system, where assessments are continous and spread over two years, with the worst academic term not counting.

budj

HSC
Although on another note. I am extremely fortunate that my parents are very supportive of me. I would never ever get disowned if my results are not upto standard. The HSC is but a small stepping stone. We are lucky to live in Australia where other opurtunities are given to tertiary education. Such is not the case in many other countries, such as Sri Lanka

Melody

HSC
N/A
Wild Dan Hibiki said:
wtf is bi polar
Way over simplified definition: Bi-polar is a mood disorder where one experiences depression and generally either mania or hypomania (excessive highs). Bipolar means at opposing ends of a spectrum. Depending on the type of bipolar and its intensity, bipolar can become debilitating while others may lead seemingly normal lives when well-treated or if symptoms are less obvious to the untrained eye.

Do a google :)
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/bpbasics/a/0210_whatisbp.htm

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
somborac said:
as someone before me said, different people get raised in different families, and hence have different expectations. Imagine if you are expected to get over 90 UAI but you are having doubts ull get over 80. questiosn such as "what will my parents think?", "what will the family-friends think?", "am i a failiour?", "how am i seen among the society now"... high expectations lead to high pressure put on individuals, and these people were looking for this day of HSC year till year 7 and they were all doing fine and just happend to make a mistake on the HSC year leading to suicide...so i here call upon all people, great and small, to tell me the degree of pressure u r put under by your parents (especially asins coz it is seen that asians and indians are the ones who always study hard)...for my self my parents put me under high expectations, and i am european, they expect me to get over 85 coz my family friend had over 85. if i dont, they wont beat me but rather say "we gave u, what u wanted and the rest was up to u".
You are rite, it seems that indians and asians in general study more than others,, but thats probably because the emphasis in Asia is much more on studies than on sport. Unfortunately the education systems in most of those countries is based almost solely on how much one can remember. Essentially the final exams are memory tests, and, form what I can gather, they dont actually test many skills at all. In that sense I thikn the HSC is better, because its not enough to regurigitate info on most subjects- you actually have to think and show your reasoning abilities. Coming from an Indian background, I did one exam this year for the HSC (im still in Year 11), and I do find that many Indians do study a lot, and many parents tend to make a big deal out of it. But my parents are not one of them...as long as I try my best they are happy.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
budj said:
Although on another note. I am extremely fortunate that my parents are very supportive of me. I would never ever get disowned if my results are not upto standard. The HSC is but a small stepping stone. We are lucky to live in Australia where other opurtunities are given to tertiary education. Such is not the case in many other countries, such as Sri Lanka
what about the children who cant even get an education eg, the sudan, afghanistan... some parents need a grip on reality, and if their child isnt a genius, they are not a burden. my folks are happy if i got 50, which is great.. i no of a kid who had been offered an apartment and car if he gets above 90... now those parents are crazy

laracroft

u can't blame teenage suicides that happen during the HSC solely on the hsc, or pressure created by the exams. it has to be attributed to a number of factors, family problems, relationship issues, perhaps mental instability, like bipolar disorder like some ppl mentioned.
but then again, all those ppl who saying tha tppl who commit suicide are emotionally weak....ther is no possible way that ppl can comprehend what its like to be suicidal unless u urself have experienced it.

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
laracroft said:
u can't blame teenage suicides that happen during the HSC solely on the hsc, or pressure created by the exams. it has to be attributed to a number of factors, family problems, relationship issues, perhaps mental instability, like bipolar disorder like some ppl mentioned.
but then again, all those ppl who saying tha tppl who commit suicide are emotionally weak....ther is no possible way that ppl can comprehend what its like to be suicidal unless u urself have experienced it.
exactly.. and u dont want to..

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
If you kill yourself over the HSC then you're a fucken looney. A dead looney.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you are right that if you suicide cause of hsc you are a looney, but the thing is (as people have said) it is a combination of factors which lead to this scenario. being depressed by no means makes you a looney and for some this depression can be so unbareable they would rather be dead. this is not cause they are looney but to do it soley cause of hsc pressure id have to say you are weak and a looney but the tyhing is it is cause of up to 18 years of problems which have accumulated

-a-s-h-i-

HSC
yup..after reading this whole bloody thread...i agree that way too much stress is put on about HSC!!! Its a very small aspect of our whole life! I have heard of heaps of suicides this year, not coz of HSC but still its really fukd, two of them were 11yrs old!! Another two were only 18, one i was close to,another was friends dad!Obviously that isnt all of them..but is still way too many...i saw the same pain that so people go through when family/friends/strangers even suicide, so all you frigen nutters who think things are that bad, just pemember it can get better if you try hard enough, think of the people you will leave behind..it is so bloody selfish it makes me sick! :vcross:

Pace Setter

There are many countries that have all the kids and parents going nuts during the last year of high school. Each one of these countries has different standards of education, varying difficulties in their exams and what/how much they have to learn. Yet the amount of stress that the students go through remain similar. Dont know about you, but that tells me one thing-i.e that the implications of having/not having a tertiary education is, like so many other facets of life, a mass mispreconception. Globalisation has aided, sure. Fail to gain a tertiary education in China/India/Japan/Korea, maybe even to a lesser extent USA, and you'd be odds on to end up in a job that pays you virtually nothing; either that or you become a busker/beggar. In these countries, the subconscious requirements of survival come into play, the desperation to avoid the pitfall into life on the streets, and perhaps with good reason. However, we're in Australia. Not too many years ago (around 5), only 10% of Australians went through tertiary education, yet somewhere near 94% had a job. In fact, quite a few of the richest men in Australia(in BRW mag) are dropouts. Lets not kid ourselves. Theres only one reason why everyone stresses during this one year. And as so often, its a misconception founded through assumptions that may have been valid, but only in other countries. I think someone's already touched on this, but it doesnt really matter how hard the HSC is, whether it reaches the levels of it's presumably-harder Asian counterparts, or whether it's lowered to, say, a year 7 level. The ill-based assumptions will still exist, the amount of pressure will not change-at least not until the next few generations, IF AT ALL. Dont blame the HSC, blame the people who value it.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Emotionally weak people.

My parents have had the nerve to tell me that they'd have no problem in kicking me out of home if I don't get over 90, and they MEAN IT. Long LONG story, and I know others have it worse....

BUT​

I don't mean to be a bitch but for the emotionally weak people, talk to your mates. Even someone you never talk to that seems like they'll listen.

They WILL listen!!

I'm not saying that I had suicidal thoughts, but I felt like giving up on school etc, just everything for some reason. But talking to your mates is the best advice I can give.

i agree that people shud talk to their friends for help but considering its like 20/66000 people it is likely that their issues are very unique and unlike your situation with "high expectation parents". not to say you dont have it hard, but you might be good at coping better because you have less problems to deal with or maybe youve been brought up (not necessarily by your parents) to be opinionated and know whats best for you, you know that the hsc is not overly important etc but some people may be mentally ill or proned to mental disorders while havingparents who have extreme conditional love, and only love their children for what they achieve.

and in considering that it has been like 20 out of like 66000 people this year it shows nothing about people being weak. if people were being weak by suiciding i think alot more would have. you cant call anyone weak without knowing what they have gone through and that really makes me angry that peole without even knowing them, and in a really arrogant way saying they are weak. you obviously know nothing of what other people go through. some people such as these people could have gone through 18 years of severe abuse and control by their parents (consider the stats of only 20, it is highly likely they have gone through terrible stuff to get to this point) or other people for that matter.

i dont mean to rip into any of you with this opinion it just makes me mad that people can without even knowing the person assume they are weak. you have outright said they are weak people without knowing what they have gone through. this relatively large (or small if ur "tough") amount of stress=hsc can be just enough to push someone over the edge. just remember that not everyone lives the same life you do. life is not simple. i know i may sound as though i have assumed they have been abused but statistics show that mentally impaired and abused people are the ones who suicide. normal people like yourself who are healthy dont just kill themselves as no one would have the guts to do so. imagine if you felt life is not worth living. you might just be suicidal and these abused or ill people might just feel this way. how often have you felt that during the hsc or ever for that matter (sorry if you have, but have you truely been serious about it so much you would kill yourself) that you had no toher choice but to die. befroe you go calling people weak just remember you are comparing them to your completely different lives. dont be so superficial and go around with such macho "im really mentally strong" facades. it doesnt make you look good it just makes you look naive

PS ur_inner_child dont try to over simplify a topic such as suicide. im sure people will love ur advice especially the side order of insult which tells them they are emotionally weak. dont do anymore post till you have something constructive to say about the matter. having people like you who know shit really would help with people who are suicidal and you obviously dont have any friends talk to you about their suicidal tendancies cause that way youd know it is not as simple like talking to your friends. talking to your friends does not undo emotional damage instilled for upto 18 years im sorry to say

Last edited:

ryaneco

HSC
The HSC is not that big a deal, its definately not something someone should kill themselves over, if someone kills themselves because of these 4 weeks of exams thats just plain selfish, i don't have any time for the people who committed suicide over such a petty thing, yes it sad, but when it comes down to it, it's just plain selfish, imagine what family and friends have to go through just because you can't handle the stress of an exam, fucking idiots, sorry if that sounds harsh but thats the way it is, people in the world have for worse problems and you don't see them killing themselves.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ryaneco said:
The HSC is not that big a deal, its definately not something someone should kill themselves over, if someone kills themselves because of these 4 weeks of exams thats just plain selfish, i don't have any time for the people who committed suicide over such a petty thing, yes it sad, but when it comes down to it, it's just plain selfish, imagine what family and friends have to go through just because you can't handle the stress of an exam, fucking idiots, sorry if that sounds harsh but thats the way it is, people in the world have for worse problems and you don't see them killing themselves.
i agree that some suicides are done out of selfishness. and no the hsc is not that big a deal, but do you truly think that is the reason for suicide. no its not, it is what pushes people over the edge to get to the point where they suicide. and yes it is plain selfish when people suicide just because of the hsc but i dont thikn anyone would just because of the hsc. who says their families are that loving enough any way. as i said earlier these are 20/66000 people who have suicided. lots of people restrain themselves for family but some families arent honestly worth living for and can be the source of these problems. Dont you think that these 20 families are complete nuts or atleast some and have driven their children mad (but they may not have though) but it is something to think about.

You are the fucking idiot who cant realise the big picture at all as its not just the hSC!!!!! get out of your HSC is the only problem mentality and realise it is society, family, abuse and mental disorders which are the main problems. HSC for this VERY SMALL fraction of people has just tipped them over the edge.

Dont go saying the HSC is not a big deal for them. You dont know how they have been brought up and how their parents have possibly bred them to achieve and only express love when they achieve. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AS IF IT IS SIMPLE. N one suicides cos of the HSC, it just adds to peoples problems WHICH HAVE DEVELOPED FOR UPTO 18 YEARS. these people these 20/66000 are the ones with these problems that you are referring to but they just happened to have suicided during the HSC

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ryaneco said:
You obviously have no idea about life ... do you. Majority of people have had pressures upon pressures placed on them and the hsc is not portrayed as a not big deal ... and its this last thing that pushes people over the edge. Obviously you are selfish and you don't even know what it is like to be that depressed to kill yourself.

misery

Unspeakable
HSC
Someone once told me that the HSC is the hardest you'll ever have to work.. I suppose thats only study-wise though.

rama_v

HSC
misery said:
Someone once told me that the HSC is the hardest you'll ever have to work.. I suppose thats only study-wise though.
MY brother did the hsc 2 yerars ago and he reckons its nothing compared to uni studies, but maybe that only applies to hard courses (such as the one he is doing now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)