hsc related suicides, iv heard about 20 this year (1 Viewer)

Benjamin

The Hsc is Good, but could be improved

Dear Everyone,

HSC related Suisides are a very real problem, and I asure you a fair ammount are caused nearly soley by the hsc, largely because it can act as a mental and actual barrier to tertiary education which people may have been aspiring to their entire lives, also family presures and presure placed on ones self about their own self worth are also factors which are triggered by the HSC.

I think its a terrible thing to suggest that all the people who have commited suiside are mentaly ill, I think nearly every single person here has atleast thought about it at one stressful point during the hsc, even if it was a breif thought that you immediately dissmissed.

Basicly this segregation of society can have serious effects on the individual, and I for one think the hsc is ineffective in some ways, while incredibly enriching in others. It is ineffective in the fact that often a final UAI mark from a range of subjects assess the ability of some one to study a subject which perhaps didnt even have a hsc study option. Solution? Im working on it but I think a steps program would be brilliant. This would instead of relying on one exam and a range of assessments, would be levels which you would have to achieve (short courses) to advance to the next, finaly ariving at the qualification to study at university in that subject. This would enable any one to try their hand at an occupation, however only those who where able to show the skills of that trade/occupation through studying the included subjects would be able to progress through the levels as if they where incapable of a level they would remain there till they became efficient, but atleast it wouldent be a dead end like getting a crap UAI. (E.g: Medicine could require: PD/H pe, Biology, Medical research and its history, skills for general practice .ect ). This could be achieved through a mail in system if the local schools could not handle the preisure. Im sure private schools would latch on to it with their overly ridiculous government funding.

However, the HSC is an incredibly enriching experience and can/has lead to great growth within not only myself but almost every one I know who has put and effort in. And so this stage of learning should not be removed, but instead remedied to ensure that a persons actual ability to perform a job is gauged fairly and justly without a range of irrelivent subjects which have nothing to do with their intended profesion that hinder the progress of a potentialy wonderful member of the feild they wish to join.

My Model ofcource is still without alot of insightful thought, and I will continue to improve it and if all else fails, abandon it and start a new. Basicly I will do all I can to benifit the individuals within a society and attempt to provide to justice in education, which values natural skill and hard work, rather than the ability to memorise and to write faster than the others. However I do aplaud the BoS as they have done an admiral effort in assisting us and providing us with a variety of resources, both offline and especialy online.

I intend to go into poltics, so if you want change then in around 10-20 years... vote Benjamin Graham ;)

Last edited:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Benjamin said:
I think its a terrible thing to suggest that all the people who have commited suiside are mentaly ill, I think nearly every single person here has atleast thought about it at one stressful point during the hsc, even if it was a breif thought that you immediately dissmissed.
no one commits suicide purely because of the hsc and most suicides are because of severe depression triggered by mental illness in most cases. the hsc alone cannot cause someone to suicide. the pressure people put on themselves is cause of a long history which has instilled severe performance anxiety. the fact that only 20/66000 suicided this year as hsc students does not even mean they are totally hsc related. it just means hsc students suicided. 20 of these people considering the incidence of mental illness could correlate with the incidence of suicide. also suicidal thoughts are very different to the act of suicide. most people have thought about it but note the small number who actually do. the reason is mental illness such as clinical and sever depression, schizophrenia, bipolar etc. this is quite a feasable theory considering the small number of people who will actually suicide

only people who are not in their right mind will suicide=mentally ill. yes the hsc is stressful but this stress is because of societies expectations in general not the hsc. it is drilled into some people for all their lives that they are worth their achievements. it is this "brainwashing" which has made the hsc stressful, but its the fact that after 18 years of being told you are worth your uai, you will get severely depressed if you feel like you are going to fail. if anything that is the cause of suicides during the hsc, not a one month period in someones life

Benjamin

reassess those numbers after the UAI comes out, but GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE! IM PRAYING!!

lukebennett said:
no one commits suicide purely because of the hsc and most suicides are because of severe depression triggered by mental illness in most cases. the hsc alone cannot cause someone to suicide. the pressure people put on themselves is cause of a long history which has instilled severe performance anxiety. the fact that only 20/66000 suicided this year as hsc students does not even mean they are totally hsc related. it just means hsc students suicided. 20 of these people considering the incidence of mental illness could correlate with the incidence of suicide. also suicidal thoughts are very different to the act of suicide. most people have thought about it but note the small number who actually do. the reason is mental illness such as clinical and sever depression, schizophrenia, bipolar etc. this is quite a feasable theory considering the small number of people who will actually suicide

only people who are not in their right mind will suicide=mentally ill. yes the hsc is stressful but this stress is because of societies expectations in general not the hsc. it is drilled into some people for all their lives that they are worth their achievements. it is this "brainwashing" which has made the hsc stressful, but its the fact that after 18 years of being told you are worth your uai, you will get severely depressed if you feel like you are going to fail. if anything that is the cause of suicides during the hsc, not a one month period in someones life

Perhaps 21/66000 is an acceptable number to you. the fact is, everyone of those people loved, lived, cryed and eventualy took their own life.

I know atleast 40 people in my school who have seriously thought about it. It can be a mental condition, but it is usualy just to save shame/maintain honour. But I can caused by an undesireable result after a year of torturous work. ( The HSC varies forus all)

I pray none of you kill yourselves,

-Benjamin G. Graham

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I was playing games during the HSC.

If a person can't handle a month-long exam period, I seriously wonder how he/she will cope with the real world. That'll be a nifty addition to their resume: I have a tendency to want to kill myself whenever things aren't working out or I feel pressured.

Students should look out for each other's mental well-being, and take steps to support those suicidal people, assuming those suicidal people have friends in the first place and don't isolate themselves from the populace.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Benjamin said:
Perhaps 21/66000 is an acceptable number to you. the fact is, everyone of those people loved, lived, cryed and eventualy took their own life.

I know atleast 40 people in my school who have seriously thought about it. It can be a mental condition, but it is usualy just to save shame/maintain honour. But I can caused by an undesireable result after a year of torturous work. ( The HSC varies forus all)

I pray none of you kill yourselves,

-Benjamin G. Graham
i dont by any means think it is an acceptable number. i just think it is very possible that these people had proper mantal illnesses which are quite rare as 20/66000 is not that high a frequency. i do agree that it is too high though as you do.. the hsc is torurous because of societies pressure and family expectations which have been around for their whole lives. the HSC is simply the catalyst of the smaller thing which has tipped people over the edge. to save shame and honour is because their feelings of self worth to them are defined by their families or society. this immense stress can actually lead to severe mental stress and disorders. those 40 people may have had ideas and i cant say they didnt think of it seriously but to actually do it is a totally different mental level.

my actual point which i should make clearer is that the hsc is a superficial cause, while society, family and mental problems are the deeper cause

Benjamin

yes, however...

I agree to a certain extent. These factors all come into it, but I will not excuse the current hsc model of all blame. There are people who simply kill themselves because theyworked incredibly hard for a year and didnt get what they wanted, yet can see themselves doing it again. I however agree that the major underlining uses come from Societies' social segregation based on occupation and the families treatement of their child's results. However, as all just laws and systems, the BoS must make the HSC cater for society. It is highly unreasonable to expect society to change for the HSC, and it wont be happening any time soon. However, your right in the causes, any public education could be established, but the top levels of the social/occupational hierachy would tear down these ideas with ridicule at the first emersion of the public in such a campaign. So in other words, there will always be those who hold themselves superior to others, and this will lead to opression of those on the lower scale of a UAI/occupation field, wether socialy or otherwise.

Great talking to you,

-Benjamin Graham

sayuru

HSC
lukebennett said:
no one commits suicide purely because of the hsc and most suicides are because of severe depression triggered by mental illness

yeah im sure uv spoken to the dead and got your answers from them, how the fuck can u be sure of what your saying unless uv actualy understood what each and every individual person that committed suicide was feeling. FUCK ur an idiot. pisses me off so hard when i thought about y i started this thread and so many fucking dickheads misinterpret this as "hsc is the sole cause of suicide." OBVIOUSLY ITS NOT BUT FUCK IT CONTRIBUTES LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA! basically if u have depression, the stress from the hsc isnt going to help u get over it is it? if u got any other type of mental illness or just general shit that u face as a teenager, the hsc does not give u the time n space to figure those things out. lukebennet ur a fucking assfuck 20/66000 , thats not even the exact number, secondly u have no fucking clue as to how many people ATTEMPTED suicide(actualy u mmight considering u kno everything and everyone). im glad at least theres ppl who realize the seriousness of this problem, im definate that the govt and board of studies are not going to notice this until someone shoves it in there face.

sayuru

HSC
people that commit suicide are not selfish, u have no fucking idea wat they are going thru. family friends, obviously they've taken that into consideration. but life just wasnt worth living.

dont judge anyone, living or dead

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
sayuru said:
people that commit suicide are not selfish, u have no fucking idea wat they are going thru. family friends, obviously they've taken that into consideration. but life just wasnt worth living.

dont judge anyone, living or dead

Not always true. Don't argue it, I know from experience. It's not always an attempt to end life but actually a cry for help. As far as im concerned it's an extreme form of emotional blackmail on family and freinds.

As I said don't argue, i know from experience

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i think they should make the hsc harder so there are less dumb people ROFLKAEKE

i am serious though.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
sayuru said:
Evidently im not a big supporter of the "higher school certificate"(who can memorize the most and regurgitate) and i strongly believe it should be revised or changed.
I agree. The HSC doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't show whether or not you can have a certain career and get into a certain course and do well. It is just a test on how much you can memorize. If everyone spent the same amount of time to study as the ppl who get UAIs of 100, anyone could get top marks and get into any Uni course. (In general) Everyone has differing circumstances and just because some don't have the time or resources to study properly, it doesn't mean they are not as smart, or can't have a particular career. Some stupid people say that everyone has the same amount of time and it's how you use it, and that it's fair for everyone. They forget that everyone has different circumstances and that for many it's beyond their control to change these circumstances. Noone should take their life because of such an unfair system.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The HSC doesn't mean everything ... but look at how much the media actually promotes it as well as the government promoting the need that u HAVE to go to university to get a job.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder if the majority of HSC suicides are from specific racial backgrounds?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I don't think that we will never know why people suicide, cause someone could seem to be "normal" one day, then say a week later, because of the amount of pressure from various things building up on them, they could commit suicide.

mugrug

If I get under 85 UAI I've always said that I'd kill myself, or at least give up all will to live or try.

We'll see =P

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I agree that the HSC is hardly the perfect reflection of a student's worth as a person, but hey, what everyone seems to be forgetting is that it's NOT compulsory! No one's making us do it (kinds weird, then, that we all opt for a year of torture...) It's still possible to get into uni without having done the HSC. I don't think it's very realistic to portray this as a big conspiracy hush-up. The HSC is an opportunity which you decide whether to take or leave, and you can give up whenever you want.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
gemita said:
I agree that the HSC is hardly the perfect reflection of a student's worth as a person, but hey, what everyone seems to be forgetting is that it's NOT compulsory! No one's making us do it (kinds weird, then, that we all opt for a year of torture...) It's still possible to get into uni without having done the HSC. I don't think it's very realistic to portray this as a big conspiracy hush-up. The HSC is an opportunity which you decide whether to take or leave, and you can give up whenever you want.
alot of ppl think its the end of the world if they fail their HSC............my cuz dropped outta skool at 16 and worked at maccas until he became manager for a few years........at 21 he went to study law in uni and graduated with honours or some shit.......i dunno how unis work....and now he earns bucket loads of money........

note: this does not mean the rest of u should drop out of skool......however this is just an example of how the HSC is not the end of ur life....

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I think that alot of people do realise that its not compulsory ... but the principles, government and media basically force students to do the hsc ... when they know damn well that there are other alternatives.

The perception of society has changed from leaving school at year 10 and getting a guaranteed job with a stable income ... to finishing year 12 getting 99.99 and going to university.

However, its changing again, and slowly other institutions like tafe are being accepted into the education system.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
how can they take their own life.........im scared shitless of dying.....no matter wat happens i could neva kill myself......maybe they have a moment of insanity shorty b4 they kill themselves that stops them from thinking clearly....i feel sorry for the distraught parents and family they leave behind....i once got sick once and thought id die (i was far from dying btw) and all i could think of was how my mum would die of distress right after me and how my dad would go insane....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)