HSC2013 School Rankings (1 Viewer)

moocow920

HSC
My school went up 20 places and is within top 20 whoo! So proud of all of us

Lina3

HSC
My school dropped 150 ranks from last year, ever since I started checking school ranks back in 2009, it has never had such a drop.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Is it possible that a lot of the good Grammar students did the IB, so thus are not counted in the DA system?
I don't think Grammar offers IB.

Also, I suspect most of the top students in the good private schools are scholarship students(those in private schools can confirm/refute with anecdotals) - i.e. poached talents (much like in professional sports)

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
Happy for my school, from around 190 to 150. Small but nice achievement.

pHyRe

HSC
With the help of how many imported talents?
aren't all selective schools 'imported talents'? ruse simply gets the smartest kids in year 7, and they are usually pretty damn smart in year 12 too.

ingeniarius

HSC
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand my school has dropped even further to the early 200s

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Is it possible that a lot of the good Grammar students did the IB, so thus are not counted in the DA system?
nah they dont do the IB.

Remember though that the system for school rankings counts state ranks the same as a 90 so thats probably why.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
School ranking down by 3, last years cohort was the best in a while and they thought we would screw it up this year, we did fine to defend it :D,top 85 still.

HSC
Hahaha my school got 68th! and we've only been open for 2 years!
We're going to catch up to james ruse in no time!

Hombad

HSC
Ah mine's still sitting at low 40s - but we almost had 2 99.95s (my friend just got under with 99.90)!

Web Addict

HSC
Just wondering, what does the Sydney Morning Herald base their school rankings on?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah which is a bit silly
Yes and extremely volatile from year to year, especially once you get lower than the top 100.

However it's really the only viable way of doing rankings given what information is available.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Yes and extremely volatile from year to year, especially once you get lower than the top 100.

However it's really the only viable way of doing rankings given what information is available.
Yeah I mean you cant do average atar because people will get angry at ATARs being in the public domain

But as the post above said, the system puts an 89 in the same class as a 50 for a subject... i.e. a non band 6 script. It also puts a state ranking in a subject the same as a 90 for the subject in terms of it being a band 6 script. And it counts a 95 in 4 unit maths as the same as a 90 in general maths.. i.e. both band 6 scripts despite a massive difference in talent and ability required to get each mark.

The system really gives some school time in the sun that they really dont deserve and doesnt give others time in the sun that they really do deserve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)