Human biology vs concepts in biology? (1 Viewer)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I personally haven't done either of those units (will be doing Concepts this semester though), but if you are doing a BSc/MND, I'd imagine the best choice for you would be Human Biology.

Do you know what major you want to do yet?

Last edited:

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Human Bio will be better although I'm considering doing both 1001 and 1003 so that I can do ANAT2009 and ANAT3008 :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191

HSC
Hi Girlworld_Club!

I took Human biology (Advanced) and personally, I LOVED the subject. You have so many different lecturers and most of them are very enthusiastic about what they're teaching. Although, it is very content heavy but a good thing is that the final is ALL MULTIPLE CHOICE. They're not very obscure either, they're just downright straightforward if you memorised and understood what you've learnt. During semester you'll also have to do a report and obviously you'll have labs where you have to do HBOnline (3% weighting each fortnight i think) + special seminars if you're planning on undertaking advanced. Advanced human biology is just the same as normal human biology, except you have 1 or 2 questions in the exam that are VERY simple from the special seminars.

For instance - Todd Wayne presented a special seminar on Phylogenetics. In the exam, what I got was "Who presented Phylogenetics?" or something of very similar nature. Not only that but if you pick advanced, you're with like minded and very intelligent individuals which is always a great thing in partnered activities in labs! I just loved how dedicated my peers were in advanced and wish I had tried out for SSP! Hope this has helped.

I have not taken Concepts of biology but I plan to do it in the advanced/SSP level in 3rd year purely because I'll be studying with very keen peers =)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of workload, ease and interest.
oh oh *waves*-I did every first year bio unit at USYD, so I can contrast and compare them :p

So just for some background, I did my SSP in Human Bio, and Adv Concepts.

So firstly, Concepts!
Concepts is a remarkably well structured course where the outcomes will also be clear to you. The practicals link very well to what you cover in lectures, and what you cover in lectures is a nice broad overview of many biology themes. Pre work quizzes for the practicals are very straight forward and easy marks. For the report, you are also taught an experiment that is similar, which you then modify to do your first report, and it's very, very good for teaching how to write scientifically (arguably better than the report normal/adv human bio students do imho, but I did SSP so my whole prac program was different). It's structured into three sections; Biomolecules, Genetics and Evolution. You'll have three topic tests on those areas worth iirc 10% each. You have a wide variety of lecturers in Concepts, and you learn all about what makes up a cell and interactions in it(think CHONPs and plant photosynthesis and stuff), basic genetics concepts like Mendelian inheritance, incomplete dominance, dual Punnetts, evolution theories and evidence, Hardy-Weinberg distribution, taxonomy debate, phylogenies etc.

For someone that did HSC bio, I found it relatively easy as it revisits some familiar stuff and builds up on it. Exam is some MC and some written.

---
Okay now for Human Bio!

So this is more of a niche area bio subject which is why they advertise it to the anat hopefuls and such. Lecturers swap around because there's lecture series on each part of the body. So like a 3 lectures series all on reproduction, a lecture on lungs, two lectures on eyes etc. Much more in depth than HSC, but if you did Communication you're pretty in luck for the eyes/ear focus :p Genetics was briefly touched in, but I personally think it was explored to better depth in Concepts if that's your thing (particularly it again gets used conceptually in concepts), this is more anat geared.

I believe (and Aysce on asianese account could vouch) normal/adv labs tend to be dissections and you have to do HBOnline.

Now henceforth, I will gush about SSP bio in case you are considering/elligible do it! Reason I loved human was because it was the one I did SSP through. SSP labs are shared between the concepts/human bio SSP and really high level stuff on overarching themes with a lot of self direction. As you can do the pathway through either, this is the type of stuff we did. We got to meet a lot of profs and have tours around all USYD's kickass lab facilities you normally don't see until much later in a degree. We learnt a lot of key lab skills, like isolating and replicating DNA. This came in very useful as we did two investigations; one into investigating our own mtDNA from buccal (cheek) cells and using phylogeny tree mapping/databases and another into wildlife forensics using DNA techniques to identify species of unidentified animals by biomolecular analysis. Really, really great stuff. Loved the prac course, in with a great bunch of people and even though I was a bit lazy with my anat rote memorising for theory, did really well in the lab work for SSP :p

For ease, I think it's easier if you have a good memory. If you did communication in hsc bio you'll know some of it already. I don't think one is easier persay, cause I got similar league marks in them (3 marks diff).

Personally I think Concepts is a better overarching bio subject, but the SSP labwork is superb and you should take it if possible from either stream. Or at least do the Adv of Concepts or Human if you are elligible. But if you are a super anat/med hopeful/immu person, you'd probably like human more.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I feel like I need to sit in on one of these bio lectures! Someone take me D:

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
wait so is it better to do 1901 and 1903 instead of the normal subjects? im going to be very busy this year so kind if want a limited workload as much as possible DX but if theres only like 2 lectures difference then it doesnt matter to much right?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I feel like I need to sit in on one of these bio lectures! Someone take me D:
Should have asked LHS and I a few months ago! D: Go to BIOL1001 when Danny is lecturing. :D Would you like to come cry with me in cranial and cervical anatomy instead? :p

@OP: For MND I believe BIOL1003 is highly recommended. Both units are very interesting and that being said if you wish to undertake a major in PHSI or ANAT or do some electives in either of these then BIOL1003 is the way to go.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Greg Sword was probably my favourite lecturer when I did BIOL1001 but I think he moved to Texas in 2010.

Jan Marc gets an honorable mention for his funny voice.

HSC
We got to meet a lot of profs and have tours around all USYD's kickass lab facilities you normally don't see until much later in a degree. We learnt a lot of key lab skills, like isolating and replicating DNA. This came in very useful as we did two investigations; one into investigating our own mtDNA from buccal (cheek) cells and using phylogeny tree mapping/databases and another into wildlife forensics using DNA techniques to identify species of unidentified animals by biomolecular analysis. Really, really great stuff. Loved the prac course, in with a great bunch of people and even though I was a bit lazy with my anat rote memorising for theory, did really well in the lab work for SSP :p
OMG I WANT TO DO SSP BIO SO BADLY

wait so is it better to do 1901 and 1903 instead of the normal subjects? im going to be very busy this year so kind if want a limited workload as much as possible DX but if theres only like 2 lectures difference then it doesnt matter to much right?

I can't speak for 1901 but for 1903, there's not really an extension on the content. I mean you get marked a little harder I think (?) and you have to attend special seminars where you don't even have to learn the content, but just appreciate it and recall who presented it. They're also very interesting too! There's also some scaling I think but not very much.

OH I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION FOR ADV HUMAN BIO: You have to do a report weighed 9% and it's a report where you can write about ANY SCIENTIFIC TOPIC YOU LIKE. You can have all the freedom in the world as long as it's related to science and with this, you give a presentation weighted at 1%. A very good assessment - my report was based on the HIV/AIDS drugs and how they communicated with T-cells, B-cells and the immune system in general, along with possible applications of stem cells in dealing with HIV/AIDS.

Some of my peers studied other sorts of awesome things such as the Placebo effect, mutant infectious bugs, aromatherapy, biomechanics of dinosaurs (this was EPIC) and so many other things. I strongly advocate advanced because you really are given the freedom to pursue your interests through this report!

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC

I can't speak for 1901 but for 1903, there's not really an extension on the content. I mean you get marked a little harder I think (?) and you have to attend special seminars where you don't even have to learn the content, but just appreciate it and recall who presented it. They're also very interesting too! There's also some scaling I think but not very much.

OH I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION FOR ADV HUMAN BIO: You have to do a report weighed 9% and it's a report where you can write about ANY SCIENTIFIC TOPIC YOU LIKE. You can have all the freedom in the world as long as it's related to science and with this, you give a presentation weighted at 1%. A very good assessment - my report was based on the HIV/AIDS drugs and how they communicated with T-cells, B-cells and the immune system in general, along with possible applications of stem cells in dealing with HIV/AIDS.

Some of my peers studied other sorts of awesome things such as the Placebo effect, mutant infectious bugs, aromatherapy, biomechanics of dinosaurs (this was EPIC) and so many other things. I strongly advocate advanced because you really are given the freedom to pursue your interests through this report!

Hey, this is a tad offtopic. I'm doing med sci at usyd next year and i'll be doing human biology because i love human biology haha (i'm a med hopeful) but i was just wondering how the WAM/GPA system works? Is it like HSC where if you pick hard subjects it scales better or is it purely based on how well you do (Ie, it's smarter to pick easy subjects which are relatively easier to score high in instead of advanced units)?

If someone could clarify that, it'd be really good :)

yjhere

HSC
What should I take if I'm interested in molecular biology & genetics or biochemistry? From above, I think that Concepts has more genetics info? :/

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
youve convinced me ill do adv. bio but i can always drop so,yea whatever lol haha standard everything else cos i need to lift my wam and focus on non uni stuff

HSC
Thank you all for your answers! They have been very thorough and helpful.

Has anyone done living systems? what do you think of the course?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Oh the code for adv concepts in bio is biol1911 too btw. It breaks the pattern lol

I didn't find them too much work tbh, because it's not all additional work, in biol1911 you will just have some lecture series at a greater depth opposed to having additional all new work on top etc. The pracs normally are just more independent in nature, without a complete spoonfed of do x,y,z opposed to normal.

What should I take if I'm interested in molecular biology & genetics or biochemistry? From above, I think that Concepts has more genetics info? :/
MBLG interest doesn't matter so much which bios you do, but do your 12cp of chem first sem and MBLG1x01 is a must obviously!

For a first sem bio, concepts would be more useful imho but human would also be good if you are into genetics.

Thank you all for your answers! They have been very thorough and helpful.

Has anyone done living systems? what do you think of the course?
Hello :) Yeah I've done all jnr bios and I did BIOL1902 for living.

Tbh, I liked human and concepts more but I'll give you a run down of living.

The first part was on animals and all the different orders and animal anatomy structures. Second part is botany (urgh I hated this part haha, plant anatomy and pollination and reproduction is zzz for me personally but some people love it). Third part is ecology which I enjoyed. If you have interest in either upper level animal anatomy, botany or ecology one of the three topic areas will interest you. Similar marks structure to concepts except no topic test on the ecology(more of a focus in exam) and a higher weighting on the lab book.

For normal, the report is quite straightforward modification of a similar prac kinda what they do in normal concepts. In Adv, there's a field trip to the Biology Crommelin station and you independently design a project either on pollination or land disturbance etc. So my group used Shannon Weiner index and sticky traps to compare invertebrate capture on grey versus red flowers on a species.

For ease, though I'll rag on the botany a bit, it's the much easier second sem bio compared to mblg imho. Mblg has a big prac test, fortnightly prac things due and very hard theory conceptually.

Moving from living systems and concepts is a bit of a step cause they don't step you through stuff like they do in concepts.

In terms of interest for me:
SSP>>Concepts course work/labs>>Human Bio>>>>>MBLG>>Living
Top interest to least

In terms of ease:
Concepts=human bio>>>>>>>living>>>>MBLG
Most ease to least

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh the code for adv concepts in bio is biol1911 too btw. It breaks the pattern lol

I didn't find them too much work tbh, because it's not all additional work, in biol1911 you will just have some lecture series at a greater depth opposed to having additional all new work on top etc. The pracs normally are just more independent in nature, without a complete spoonfed of do x,y,z opposed to normal.

MBLG interest doesn't matter so much which bios you do, but do your 12cp of chem first sem and MBLG1x01 is a must obviously!

For a first sem bio, concepts would be more useful imho but human would also be good if you are into genetics.

Hello :) Yeah I've done all jnr bios and I did BIOL1902 for living.

Tbh, I liked human and concepts more but I'll give you a run down of living.

The first part was on animals and all the different orders and animal anatomy structures. Second part is botany (urgh I hated this part haha, plant anatomy and pollination and reproduction is zzz for me personally but some people love it). Third part is ecology which I enjoyed. If you have interest in either upper level animal anatomy, botany or ecology one of the three topic areas will interest you. Similar marks structure to concepts except no topic test on the ecology(more of a focus in exam) and a higher weighting on the lab book.

For normal, the report is quite straightforward modification of a similar prac kinda what they do in normal concepts. In Adv, there's a field trip to the Biology Crommelin station and you independently design a project either on pollination or land disturbance etc. So my group used Shannon Weiner index and sticky traps to compare invertebrate capture on grey versus red flowers on a species.

For ease, though I'll rag on the botany a bit, it's the much easier second sem bio compared to mblg imho. Mblg has a big prac test, fortnightly prac things due and very hard theory conceptually.

Moving from living systems and concepts is a bit of a step cause they don't step you through stuff like they do in concepts.

In terms of interest for me:
SSP>>Concepts course work/labs>>Human Bio>>>>>MBLG>>Living
Top interest to least

In terms of ease:
Concepts=human bio>>>>>>>living>>>>MBLG
Most ease to least
The difference between 1001 and 1002 isn't that big IMO. Infers that I learned things in my first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)