human flaws in Othello (1 Viewer)

Gryffindor

HSC
I have to write an essay on Shakespeare's examination of human flaws in Othello/how they're a key aspect to the enduring relevance of the play. So far I've come up with two flaws I feel would be easy to discuss and provide examples for...

BP1
Jealousy

BP2
yet to be decided...

BP3
Trusting - discuss how virtues to an extreme can become flaws (although seemingly a virtuous quality, Iago takes advantage).

If anyone has an idea of another human flaw in the play, I would be eternally grateful!!!

windebygirl

HSC
you might be able to discuss how othello succumbing to pressure from his society's expectations was a flaw? you'll have to figure out the wording, but there's something there i think. When Othello realises that he has been deceived by Iago, he justifies himself as ‘an honourable murderer’ and states ‘naught did I in hate, but all in honour’, as he murdered Desdemona with the full belief that she was an adulteress. As Othello justifies his crime, he never achieves a full state of anagnorisis - and then you could bring in how shakespeare adapted the traditional tragic hero form - and this untraditional tragic hero has made the play have continued relevance. if you did this it would make sense to have your 'trusting' paragraph go first, and then it would be a really nice lead in to this.

idkkdi

HSC
I have to write an essay on Shakespeare's examination of human flaws in Othello/how they're a key aspect to the enduring relevance of the play. So far I've come up with two flaws I feel would be easy to discuss and provide examples for...

BP1
Jealousy

BP2
yet to be decided...

BP3
Trusting - discuss how virtues to an extreme can become flaws (although seemingly a virtuous quality, Iago takes advantage).

If anyone has an idea of another human flaw in the play, I would be eternally grateful!!!
litcharts lol

may22

HSC
Hamartia is probably a good word to throw into that essay tbh...key buzz words to get your marker's attention lol

Gryffindor

HSC
you might be able to discuss how othello succumbing to pressure from his society's expectations was a flaw? you'll have to figure out the wording, but there's something there i think. When Othello realises that he has been deceived by Iago, he justifies himself as ‘an honourable murderer’ and states ‘naught did I in hate, but all in honour’, as he murdered Desdemona with the full belief that she was an adulteress. As Othello justifies his crime, he never achieves a full state of anagnorisis - and then you could bring in how shakespeare adapted the traditional tragic hero form - and this untraditional tragic hero has made the play have continued relevance. if you did this it would make sense to have your 'trusting' paragraph go first, and then it would be a really nice lead in to this.
I definitely want to do a paragraph on something like this, thank you for the idea !!

Gryffindor

HSC
Hamartia is probably a good word to throw into that essay tbh...key buzz words to get your marker's attention lol
Exactly my thoughts - will be intertwining the concept whilst discussing Othello's jealousy hahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)