hurrah for history nerds :D (1 Viewer)

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by wednesday
christine, i got told that some facts in I claudius are incorrect is that true?

oh and did you hear that calligula aka gaius inducted a horse into the senate??? what a crazy person
well I Claudius is a book/movie so naturally there are inaccuracies - but it puts things into perspective and its pretty funny as well.

yea caligula was a little on the insane side but they were a little eccentric. just read suetonius........ its an ancient erotic thriller.

malayz_angel

Originally posted by ellebelle

Yeah we're doing Sparta this term. We're going to Milsons Point next Monday on an excursion for a seminar "Discover Spartan S
society". I have no idea how helpful it will be.

I know the seminar that u mean, I'm going to the same one on Friday. Tell me if it's any good!

"If nobody's perfect then I want to be nobody."

malayz_angel

I did Sparta last term and now we're on to Xerxes. Sparta wasn't so bad.. it's just remembering all the names like the perioeci and the homoioi that is going to be my problem.

"If nobody's perfect then I want to be nobody."

wednesday

we're studying suetonius and tacitus' views on Agrippina and i read the other day how suetonius said something about how you could tell or it was thought that nero and agrippina were getting it on in the litter due to the stains on his clothes when they got out im like eeeeewwwwww that was so much an overshare. we watched I claudius well part of it in class it was pretty funny.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well, PERSONALLY i prefer agrippina 1, rather than agrippina 2 :p

for my assessment we have to do a 10 minute formal speech on an ancient roman writer (who we drew out of a hat)... i have to do Pliny the Elder, who wrote about agriculture and stuff... he also believed that in certain parts of the world there were men with two dog-like heads... edcuated guy. :D

what texts do you guys use mainly? our main one is 'Ancient Rome: Using Evidence' by Pamela Bradley. Tis not too shabby.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
he also believed that in certain parts of the world there were men with two dog-like heads... edcuated guy. :D
you mean theres not?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*christine feigns shock*

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
of COURSE there are men with dog heads... thats why i said he was well educated! :D (only SPECIAL people can see them... ie, us)

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by wednesday
we're studying suetonius and tacitus' views on Agrippina and i read the other day how suetonius said something about how you could tell or it was thought that nero and agrippina were getting it on in the litter due to the stains on his clothes when they got out im like eeeeewwwwww that was so much an overshare. we watched I claudius well part of it in class it was pretty funny.
If you think thats gross, read about Tiberius and his 'minnows'
big EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

wednesday

Originally posted by mannnnndy

If you think thats gross, read about Tiberius and his 'minnows'
big EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

who's it by Tacitus or Suetonius or Cassius Dio or none of the fore mentioned?

malayz_angel

All this stuff about the Romans-- gee, I thought the "homosexual" Spartans had interesting lives! Who knew there was more to learn? (Actually I think I did Agrippina briefly-- was she the one who poisoned mushrooms or something?)

*malayz_angel is overcome by the idea that still more knowledge can be accumulated from ancient history and faints*

wednesday

yeh most people back then poisoned the food of the people they wanted dead. Mushrooms were used by Agrippina though, It was tricky to do because most people had food testers for them so it had to be a very organised operation.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
malayz, are you sure you just fainted? maybe you were poisoned... !

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
were those chocolate, per chance, shaped like ancient roman mushrooms?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
maybe everyone is just working too hard studying for half yearlies :p :p :p

in other news: i did my history oral today, went pretty well i think (hope) so thats a relief... now i can start summarising ancient rome :)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
oh believe me, you don't wanna know about history orals :D

we had to do a 10 minute formal speech on the propaganda aspects of an ancient roman writer... it was the equivalent of our half yearly exam, so it was worth %15...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)