hurrah for history nerds :D (1 Viewer)

malayz_angel

I have no idea what ancient Roman mushrooms look like but they could have passed for mushrooms without stems. Do ancient Roman mushrooms have stems?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
I have no idea what ancient Roman mushrooms look like but they could have passed for mushrooms without stems. Do ancient Roman mushrooms have stems?
ok heres the plan: we build a time machine, GO to ancient rome and find out... and then come back, write a book with a ridiculous title like "Augmushroom" and make millions of dollars!

is that a great, realistic plan or what? :D

wednesday

hahaha interesting plan

do all yr 12 history students have to do this history oral???

im lik efreakin out now!!!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well, 10% of the assessment mark for the course is oral... usually its a formal speech, but if your brave u can try and convince your teacher to assess you on something else... like a dramatic reading of seutonius :D

wednesday

oh god!!!
i find it hard enough s it is to not laugh when im reading suetonius by myself its just soooooo graphic n dirty its hilarious!!!

i think we have to tape our voices onto cassette and hand it in but im not sure about that one

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well i had to do Pliny, and he was really weird... not dirty, just weird... he believed in fairies, and dog-headed men, and walking mushrooms who shaded themselves using their legs, and people with no necks and eyes in their shoulders... and women who changed into men on their wedding day...

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by snakeoils
well i had to do Pliny, and he was really weird... not dirty, just weird... he believed in fairies, and dog-headed men, and walking mushrooms who shaded themselves using their legs, and people with no necks and eyes in their shoulders... and women who changed into men on their wedding day...
He sounds like he would have made good friends with Herodotus :p I didnt get to read Pliny, but Herodotus believed in some pretty weird things like flying snakes which attacked Egypt every year, and giant gold digging ants which Persian kings kept as pets:rolleyes:

malayz_angel

ok heres the plan: we build a time machine, GO to ancient rome and find out... and then come back, write a book with a ridiculous title like "Augmushroom" and make millions of dollars!

is that a great, realistic plan or what? :D
If you have either the brains to create or the money to finance a working time machine...well, the idea works for me!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah im doing them... you're right, there is ALOT to learn about them!

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I reckon there's enough info on the Julio Claudians for two options, just make sure you know Augustus really well because there's always an Augustus question.

wens*

yeah im doing them... you're right, there is ALOT to learn about them!
So how are you finding learning everything? Are you coping?
Have any tips for remembering stuff?! Hehehe

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well, i think im coping ok... it helps that i have an amazing teacher, i admit... but yeah, what we usually do is for each topic area (eg. agriculture) she will do a lecture like thing where we take our own notes, then we have to add to those notes using a variety of modern and ancient sources, and then share what we found with the class... and as a class we make summaries of the topics and photocopy them...

our main "textbook" is Pamela Bradley's "Using Evidence: Ancient Rome"

wednesday

i'm not really doing the julio-claudians but im doing Agrippina and for her i have to know a fair amount about the julio-claudian dynasty, it gets kinda confusing a few times there

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i spose its much easier NOW than when we first started... we started off with a relief teacher, and she kept trying to teach us all this stuff, and we had NO idea what she was talking about, or who was who, or what was what... we basically wasted 6 weeks (and she was never seen again... except for one time, in town, and i said hi to her and she snobbed me and walked past...bitch!)

girlee281

i LOVE ancient history. It is by far my favourite subject. Except I hate my teacher, she picks on me because I'm good at it. Not being conceited, but everyone tells me so.

And though I love the subject, you get kinda down in class when the teacher hates you. She never lets me answer anything. If I try and put my hand up, per say, she'll tell me to put it down and say something like "I don't need to hear anything from you, I already know you know it, so just put your hand down". Stuff like that. It gets... annoying.

But I actually thik I preferred the Year 11 course. I loved doing Thera and Egypt. Soooo much fun! It's so interesting.

And I like the Greek stuff we're doing, but it doesn't interest me as much as some other stuff we could be doing. But I still love. I like it better than Modern. I find Modern hard.

malayz_angel

I prefer Ancient to Modern also...I don't find Modern hard but I do find Ancient interesting...I mean, these guys (eg Herodotus) didn't have people whose styles they could imitate or whose methods they could copy...all of their history work was their own and led to shaping heaps of other historians later. Oops, I'm babbling but I just find that part of Ancient pretty cool. :D

wednesday

Originally posted by malayz_angel
these guys (eg Herodotus) didn't have people whose styles they could imitate or whose methods they could copy...all of their history work was their own and led to shaping heaps of other historians later. . :D

do you believe that ancient history completely contradicts the post-modernistic theory that nothing is unique? i do. For these people to have led the way and have no one to copy is proof enough that it can be done.

friendoflive86

ancient history

yea - id say i lov ancient history

We've done 2 Greek Periods, and Troy last year - im bored with Greeks, but now we're moving into the Romans, which is cool, but then we'll do Agrippina - i mean - who really cares about Nero's wife, or mother or whoever shewas - id much rather be doing at least SOME egyptian - but our teacher is too much of a dumbarse anyways - and shes also our Year Advisor - so she's got so much else on - she comes to the classes - and goes out after 5mins and doesn't come back

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh i wish i loved it as much as all u do but our teacher is shit and can't teach. all we do is pretend 2 research every lesson and we never do any work compared 2 the modern history people
i think we're a bit screwed, but i do like ancient history

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)