• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hurricane Katrina (2 Viewers)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was surprised to see Bush with a big grin to a reporter, saying that he 'understands people's anxiety'

I think he's going there tomorrow

tennille

HSC
While I do have a lot of sympathy for those who were injured in the hurricane, all I can say is what goes around comes around. America basically invaded Iraq and killed many innocent lives, and now innocent lives are being lost in America due to this hurricane.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
haha Bush. Dickhead.

and it's very easy to sit here and ask how people can be doing these kind of things, but when you don't have fresh water or food and you don't know what's happening around you or where you are or where you're going to get your next meal or your next bed at... it all gets pretty desperate.

Apparently the area won't be inhabitable for another 2-3 months. It's shocking but it feels worse because of the prior knowledge, people down there know about hurricanes like Katrina and have evacuation programs put into place. There shouldn't have been that many people caught in New Orleans.

It's just so sad because it is really one of the poorest regions in the States but they are trying to help out, putting a lot of the people into the Astrodome in Houston. The clean up will be phenonmenal but maybe then it'll be easier to see how Americans can help each other out.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Tennille said:
While I do have a lot of sympathy for those who were injured in the hurricane, all I can say is what goes around comes around. America basically invaded Iraq and killed many innocent lives, and now innocent lives are being lost in America due to this hurricane.
That comparison is completely and utterly idiotic.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
Moronic, to say the least.

Edit: Crap, I was beaten to the punch.

tennille

HSC
I never mentioned anything about America deserving it, did I? I simply that it could be a punishment for what the government has done.

And as I have already mentioned, I do express a lot of sympathy towards them.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Tennille said:
I never mentioned anything about America deserving it, did I? I simply that it could be a punsihment for what the government has done.
I think youve already made yourself look stupid enough. Remember, its impossible to justify stupidity.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
right...

so one governments actions means that people who aren't connected to that decision in a direct way must be punished by having a huge natural disaster where innocent people are killed cause like you know... the war in iraq must be connected to everything that happens in the states

K

katie_tully

Tennille said:
I never mentioned anything about America deserving it, did I? I simply that it could be a punishment for what the government has done.

And as I have already mentioned, I do express a lot of sympathy towards them.
Punishment? Are you serious? Please tell me you had a lapse in concentration. Let us examine the word "punishment". Usually one recieves punishment after doing something wrong. A penalty imposed for wrong doing. What have these people done wrong to deserve such devestation?

Nothing, you're a twat.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I agree with Tennille, I have sympathy for some of them but at the end of the day I really don't care for the majority of the people. No one battered an eye when I mentioned it was an act of God, possibly the euphemism let it slide by but I ment exactly the same thing as Tennille. Are some of these people really worth saving?

K

katie_tully

Transcendent, what was your view on the Indonesian tsunami? Did you shrug and pass it off as an example of natural selection and ponder about whether many of them were worth saving?
Just curious to know, I'm not starting anything. I'm trying to pit them together to see the difference.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Nothing really. It was tragic. The nation is left to rebuild after a natural disaster. You can't stop it, you can't exactly prevent against, and if it's going to happen the only thing that will save lives is predicting it. People live, people die, life goes on. Same applies for Katrina, except I'm allowing my bias to get ahead of me as they live in a relatively richer environment.

K

katie_tully

Ah I see. That's where we differ. I'm bias towards the yanks for the same reason though. They are "richer", they had more infrastructure such as roads, hospitals, schools, houses, industries and businesses which have been destroyed...It's going to take a lot more money and time to rebuild it bck to it's full extent - if they ever do.Plus their own people are shooting innocent bystanders. I feel more compassion for the yanks than I did the Indonesians. The Indonesians had limited infrastructure which was destroyed, limited buildings, businesses and such...

I'm going to get crucified for this, arent I.

K

katie_tully

Whoa. That said, I didn't say anything about them deserving it, or it being punishment. Mainly because I'm not religious and I have more appreciation for the scientific reason behind ole' Katrina.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
No not really. The asians were poor, so returning them to their former lifestyle would be cheaper. It was a tragic loss for alot of them. This is the same for the americans, except as you said they are richer so it'll be harder to return them to the former lifestyle. Yet we don't hear reports of the asians creating more chaos, they are just seen to be mourning, and trying to piece their lives back together. The americans, as noted, are trashing everything they can get their hands on, they are creating more chaos leading to further their demise. This is the very reason I feel nothing for the majority of them. This is the reason why I don't mind if those creating the chaos died. It really highlights the difference between the two cultures.

K

katie_tully

Yes. Unfortunately those causing the chaos didn't die. Many of those who died were senior citizens unable to escape in time, or who died during the relocation processes. Many who tried to save their homes also died. Instead we have people who survived the storm looting and shooting civilians. It does show the contrast in nature, but I feel more sorry for the innocent civilians who have lost everything and cannot return home for fear of being murdered for something like fresh water.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
transcendent said:
No not really. The asians were poor, so returning them to their former lifestyle would be cheaper. It was a tragic loss for alot of them. This is the same for the americans, except as you said they are richer so it'll be harder to return them to the former lifestyle. Yet we don't hear reports of the asians creating more chaos, they are just seen to be mourning, and trying to piece their lives back together. The americans, as noted, are trashing everything they can get their hands on, they are creating more chaos leading to further their demise. This is the very reason I feel nothing for the majority of them. This is the reason why I don't mind if those creating the chaos died. It really highlights the difference between the two cultures.
Oh hell yeah.
My teacher mentioned this morning in English that the poverty in the Southern states is really highlighted by Katrina - and we're doing Luther King in speeches - I mean in the media you see pictures of poor black people crying, sprawled out on the ground...'Georgia, Alabama...' actually I don't think he mentions Lousiana anywhere

America has traditionally been xenophobic, 'I'm the centre of the world, how can anything happen to ME' and when it does the people start chucking hissy fits.
Indonesia is a developing country which means the people are used to making do with what they've got.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
New Orleans decends into anarchy

...At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention centre, a makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.
... ... ...

"You can do everything for other countries, but you can't do nothing for your own people," he added. "You can go overseas with the military, but you can't get them down here."

The street outside the centre, above the floodwaters, smelled of urine and faeces, and was choked with dirty nappies, old bottles and garbage.
... ... ...

Tourist Debbie Durso of Washington, Michigan, said she asked a police officer for assistance and his response was, "'Go to hell - it's every man for himself."'

"This is just insanity," she said. "We have no food, no water ... all these trucks and buses go by and they do nothing but wave." ...
Reading that made me feel physically ill, those poor people. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)