• Total voters

stamos

sellout
HSC
okay you are god and here is a hypothetical question

would you prefer:

a) susilo bambang yudhyono to officially pardon schapelle corby

or

b) corby to serve her sentence of 20 years, with the seperation between indonesian judicial power and the executive government's powers left uncompromised

edit:
Personally, i think it's better for the seperation of powers to be observed, regardless of if she's innocent. Indonesia has only recently become a functional democracy and the seperation of powers is more important than something that nobody can say for certain was a miscarriage of justice.

Last edited:

spell check

HSC
if yudhyono has the power to officially pardon convicts then the seperation of powers would be the same regardless of whether he exercises that power in this case

santaslayer

HSC
spell check said:
if yudhyono has the power to officially pardon convicts then the seperation of powers would be the same regardless of whether he exercises that power in this case
That's what I was thinking?

stamos

sellout
HSC
spell check said:
good point

but by convention some powers should be rarely used

I was thinking that by overruling the court in a very high profile case, there would be an impact upon the seperation of powers. He'd set a precedent.

technically you're right though... cunt

santaslayer

HSC
Shhhhh...
Quickly delete this thread so no one (except spell check and me) will know!

spell check

HSC
nah you're right though, it would be a big deal if he did exercise those powers, same as when whitlam got dismissed by the gov general

santaslayer

HSC
Big deal yes. But all constitutionally valid.

EDIT: It'll just prompt BoSers to create a million threads about it. Like the Corby one.

stamos

sellout
HSC
santaslayer: i'm asking what people would prefer to happen, not what they believed was legal

i was trying to see whether people think that governments should intervene in judicial systems when the public believes someone has been wronged

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
What does that have to do with the blow up doll?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I would prefer her to appeal and be acquitted on appeal or have her sentence shortened by lots.

Or for new evidence to surface that proved her innocence.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I would prefer for solid evidence to prove her guilt or innocence. Either's fine, so long as the outcome is just.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I think if someone has a constitutionally defined power, then obviously it's there for a reason. Regardless of whether or not it's different to the Australian system, if it's there, then maybe the president has the right to exercise it in some circumstances?

Much like John Kerr did in 1975 with his constitutionally defined powers?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i really don't think susilo bambang yudhyono will pardon Corby, I really don't think he cares about the case (what he said to John Howard was just to reinforce the relationship between the countries)

If he was to become involved --> Corby may get 5-10 years of her jail sentence. That is all.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Not to mention 20 years imprisonment in Indonesia for carrying 4KG of marijuana is quite lenient. In fact, I've heard reports that the Judges were seen as taking bribes or being corrupt or submitting to the demands from Australia (and not being objective enough) because they didn't give her the life sentence!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Wesnat said:
Not to mention 20 years imprisonment in Indonesia for carrying 4KG of marijuana is quite lenient. In fact, I've heard reports that the Judges were seen as taking bribes or being corrupt or submitting to the demands from Australia (and not being objective enough) because they didn't give her the life sentence!
i wouldn't be suprised.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i just realised that a convict is a noun for someone who has been convicted

wow you learn something very day

like a convict isn;t just a word for a criminal

its the noun form of the verb to convict

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)