• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I am lacking all means of motivation... (3 Viewers)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Hay guise.
Right now I feel like a lost cause.
Due to my ott perfectionism and high expectations of myself, coming anything but first frustrates me and demotivates me forever. If I don't get the mark I want, I completely give up and deteriorate.
I'm about to start year 12, and I need that drive and spark in me I lost at the beginning of year 11.

How can I motivate myself? Other than just 'willpower.' I have none.

Last edited:

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
"If I don't get the mark I want, I completely give up."

It does sound a little princess-y to me, too. Part of being successful is accepting failures and disappointments and using them to strengthen your motivation.

How can you have no 'willpower' but 'perfectionism and high expectations'?
I 'expected' great marks in year 11 too - I didn't get them because I'd coasted along in middle school and didn't even understand the concept of 'study'.

The fact that coming 2nd 'demotivates you forever' suggests immaturity and an inability to improve. Grow up and learn from your failures.

Jeee

Banned
HSC

It does sound a little princess-y to me, too. Part of being successful is accepting failures and disappointments and using them to strengthen your motivation.

I 'expected' great marks in year 11 too - I didn't get them because I'd coasted along in middle school and didn't even understand the concept of 'study'.

The fact that coming 2nd 'demotivates you forever' suggests immaturity and an inability to improve. Grow up and learn from your failures.

No. It's more complicated than that. I did well in school c (which means nothing now), and I would pretty much kill some exams etc Then yr 11 comes along, people (family etc) have really high expectations for me, but I'm somewhat burnt out rather than refreshed. Just have no willpower left + I've been really tired. Iron deficiency, Vitamin D deficiency, lethargic, faint, dizzy etc etc etc My body is playing up at a wrong time.

I am far from some pompous princess...

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
.........Anyway, what's a good way to get motivated? Does tutoring give you that extra drive? Any tips?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I assume you've been to see a doctor, right? Because curiously enough, a similar thing did happen to me last year - typical deficiency/low bp symptoms. I went to see my GP, found out it was mostly just low bp and felt tremendously better.

Motivation...grew unexpectedly for me. I realised I wanted to get into med school around April (T1), so my marks from T4 and T1 have pulled me down, but after I realised I became exponentially more focused and driven. You have to find out what you want - to get into a particular course, to beat someone you know, to get a certain number, to impress your parents - but you have to find your own reason for working hard or your studying will be lacklustre.

Edit: no tutors, no idea on that front. the thought of an extra commitment/thing to be up-to-date for would just kill me :p

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Yeah I have seen doctors and had several tests, and I'm taking vitamins etc but it doesn't seem to be working. I've been oddly sick for some unknown reason.
I guess motivation can only come from within and nothing else. I'll have to work on that.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
No. It's more complicated than that. I came first last year and killed school c (which means nothing now), and I would pretty much kill exams etc Then yr 11 comes along, people have really high expectations for me, but I'm somewhat burnt out rather than refreshed. Just have no willpower left + I've been really tired. Iron deficiency, Vitamin D deficiency, lethargic, faint, dizzy etc etc etc My body is playing up at a wrong time.

I am far from some pompous princess...
Tip: You shouldn't give a damn about what people expect of you... actually that's a bit harsh because I'm sure they only want the best for you but in the end it comes down to what you expect and not them. It took me ages for that to get through to me (seriously, it only just dawned on me about two weeks ago). Sure, people will tell you what they think you are capable of and predict how you might go in the HSC and that's nice and all but you shouldn't be so serious about what they say. Aknowledge them but you need to set your own goals. Don't compete with other people, don't compare yourself to how you went in year 10. Reassess what you want from your education not what other people expect you to get from it. You don't NEED to come first to get a good result. Remember that. And sometimes it's good to get an average result because it serves as a reason to work harder for the next assessment.

As for motivation... no idea. I suppose your top priority should be to do the best you can instead of always aiming to come first in every assessment.

Try going to the gym or playing a sport or something. It's relaxing and keeps your mind off study for a few hours.
Do you take fish oil capsules? They help with concentration, seriously.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Tip: You shouldn't give a damn about what people expect of you... actually that's a bit harsh because I'm sure they only want the best for you but in the end it comes down to what you expect and not them. It took me ages for that to get through to me (seriously, it only just dawned on me about two weeks ago). Sure, people will tell you what they think you are capable of and predict how you might go in the HSC and that's nice and all but you shouldn't be so serious about what they say. Aknowledge them but you need to set your own goals. Don't compete with other people, don't compare yourself to how you went in year 10. Reassess what you want from your education not what other people expect you to get from it. You don't NEED to come first to get a good result. Remember that. And sometimes it's good to get an average result because it serves as a reason to work harder for the next assessment.

As for motivation... no idea. I suppose your top priority should be to do the best you can instead of always aiming to come first in every assessment.

Try going to the gym or playing a sport or something. It's relaxing and keeps your mind off study for a few hours.
Do you take fish oil capsules? They help with concentration, seriously.
I agree with both of these points, and i take fish oil capsules too ^^

Jaylee42003

HSC
Hay guise.
Right now I feel like a lost cause.
Due to my perfectionism and high expectations, coming anything but first frustrates me and demotivates me forever. If I don't get the mark I want, I completely give up.
I'm about to start year 12, and I need that drive and spark in me I lost at the beginning of year 11.

How can I motivate myself? Other than just 'willpower.' I have none.
Me too.

Why don't you get over yourself ignoramus? Seriously, I have had ENOUGH of your shit. Don't fucking reply to me or write in my threads.
KTHANXBAI.
Yeah. Quit it.

no.

Perfectionsism is an imperfection, not a sign of immaturity. We infact learn it from a young age, for whatever reason. We're over-achievers, and we won't stop at 2nd place. Second place, dizzy, is just not fucking good enough. No-one remembers 2nd place. Heck, even first place isn't satisfactory.

TBH, I don't know how to 'fix' perfectionism. I've got this hospital hand out on perfectionism the psychologist gave me, haven't read it though...

Last edited:

Jaylee42003

HSC
And I really hate it when people give me weird looks when I say "Dammit, I got 98%". Okay yeah it's a fantabulous mark by your standards, but not by my own. Perfectionists's standard = 110%
If you don't get me, then you're clearly not a perfectionist. I'm happy for you :) I wish I wasn't so hard on myself =[

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Ah you have misunderstood my post.

I am not saying that perfectionism suggests immaturity.
I am saying that feeling 'demotivated forever' is not in fact perfectionist at all; it is an immature inability to adjust to failure. The perfectionist would be spurred on to work harder from a 2nd place - they would not be DEmotivated.

Thinking before typing is always good.

Also, first place and 100% is not satisfactory for you?.................

Last edited:

Jaylee42003

HSC
Ah you have misunderstood my post.

I am not saying that perfectionism suggests immaturity.
I am saying that feeling 'demotivated forever' is not in fact perfectionist at all; it is an immature inability to adjust to failure. The perfectionist would be spurred on to work harder from a 2nd place - they would not be DEmotivated.

Thinking before typing is always good.
I do think, you just weren't clear enough.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Jee, you remind me of myself last year. I was first in pretty much everything and all other ranks except 1st really disheartened me. But at the end of the day, you really have to try to be happy with your own marks. Why? Because year 12 means there will be lots of competition, stress and other unexpected things going on. And amidst all these chaos, you can slip off. You really have to learn to be satisfied or at least learn to accept whatever you get.

Before you enter year 12 tho, I suggest you look over stress management tips and good study routines/approach. Be ready for year 12!

Jaylee42003

HSC
Jee, you remind me of myself last year. I was first in pretty much everything and all other ranks except 1st really disheartened me. But at the end of the day, you really have to try to be happy with your own marks. Why? Because year 12 means there will be lots of competition, stress and other unexpected things going on. And amidst all these chaos, you can slip off. You really have to learn to be satisfied or at least learn to accept whatever you get.

Before you enter year 12 tho, I suggest you look over stress management tips and good study routines/approach. Be ready for year 12!
:uhoh: I think that I'll commit suicide if I don't come first in everything. Not joking.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Why don't you get over yourself ignoramus? Seriously, I have had ENOUGH of your shit. Don't fucking reply to me or write in my threads.
KTHANXBAI.
Haha this is exactly what I'm talking about, no wonder you have no motivation - you think you're king shit. i was serious about my post though, really couldn't put it in a nicer way.

speedofsound

HSC
And I really hate it when people give me weird looks when I say "Dammit, I got 98%". Okay yeah it's a fantabulous mark by your standards, but not by my own. Perfectionists's standard = 110%
If you don't get me, then you're clearly not a perfectionist. I'm happy for you :) I wish I wasn't so hard on myself =[
well I really hate it when people say "Dammit, I got 98%". get the fuck over yourselves and stop whining

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)