I can answer textbook questions but not exam ones (1 Viewer)

AmalJ

HSC
Hi!

so I've decided recently to work on my math more and I thought I was improving but a recent topic test proved me wrong. While I can answer the questions within the textbook, I wasn't able to do so on my test. The questions seemed more confusing and I ended up getting completely lost.

How can I combat this? How can I be more efficient in my math learning journey? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you :)

icycledough

HSC
Hi!

so I've decided recently to work on my math more and I thought I was improving but a recent topic test proved me wrong. While I can answer the questions within the textbook, I wasn't able to do so on my test. The questions seemed more confusing and I ended up getting completely lost.

How can I combat this? How can I be more efficient in my math learning journey? Any tips or tricks?

I think the problem with only doing textbook questions is that they don't really require you to apply yourself as much as they simply repeat themselves but just change the numbers. However, with doing past papers, yes they may have the same topics as textbooks, but they will change up the style of question or introduce something new you may not have experienced with just textbooks. But yes, once you reach closer to the HSC (which you could say is about now as many schools don't have trial exams in between), your best bet would be to do as many past papers as you can. You can also pm me if you want access to maths past papers (2U, 3U or 4U).

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Also depends which textbook you have. Also which branch of math's you're talking about.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hi!

Idk if this is a good tip so please take it with a grain of salt but I personally find just putting a time limit/alarm near me with the ticking sound helps emulate the stress and anxiety of an exam situation when doing textbook exercises - I don't think its good to do it when you're first learning the concept but if you have a solid understanding then it can help getting you into that state of speed and accuracy. Of course this is incomparable to the benefits of doing practice papers but its just something I do and it works for me. This is more and so for maths than other subjects - I don't really do this for economics so I can't comment on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)