I dont know nothing about uni (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gavvvvvin

Yeah so I got accepted into a bachelor of science at UNSW. The thing is I dont know what I wanna do when I'm older. And I know absolutely NOTHING about uni or the course because I never looked into it because I didnt think I'd make it in. I just dont know what I should do. Any ideas about what I should do? :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Just wait for another however long, get there, and find a niche, there may be subjects you expect to love and then you hate them, and vice versa.
Once you find your niche, it will be (at least, a little) clearer.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Become a uni bum.

Turn up to classes late, start taking drugs and become a well known figure in the orgy social circles. Sounds good to me.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just remember that you don't have to know what you want to do later in life at this stage (no matter what your mum, dad and whoever else may say... The 'oh, so where will that take you' comments can be more than annoying after a time). Apart from that, just take jess' advice and see what happens.

Looking into what the course and university offers (subjects, life, career prospects if that's an issue, etc.) may be an idea for now, though :).

doe

HSC
N/A
yer, what natstar said

if i were you id take a year off and find out what you're interested in. get a crappy job and work for 6 months then go travel.

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Why did u choose to go to uni if u know nothing about the course, or uni in gernal...uni costs MONEY and TIME.......
Money that is largely dealt with through the tax system, and time to figure out a possible direction (besides, it isn't as though we die at 32). I cannot see the problem, seeing as though he is yet to accept and if he does it is his choice and one that is worth considering if you are capable and clueless at the same time.

Edit: Working for a few months after deferring the offer (to keep your options open) is another choice, of course.

G

Gavvvvvin

GemmaHavok said:
I hope you were using irony in the thread title...
Gav... come to UNSW so that I have someone to hang out with.
No there wasnt any irony :(

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Yeah so I got accepted into a bachelor of science at UNSW. The thing is I dont know what I wanna do when I'm older. And I know absolutely NOTHING about uni or the course because I never looked into it because I didnt think I'd make it in. I just dont know what I should do. Any ideas about what I should do? :(
A common problem.

Check the UNSW web site.
They have a lot of information.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Why? If they dont know what they want to do, dont know anything about the course, then why waste the time and money. Going to uni doesent guarantee you a job, even thought it may give you more knowledge. But if your not sure what you want to do, then consider other options like deferring. Seriously, wait till your finished a year and realise how much time and money you have to put into it.
I feel that obviously this person will have alot of spare time if they don't know what they want to do. Therefore they should go to uni and experiment with subjects they enjoy and figure out a degree which will suit them. Money is not a problem for everyone and if it is they can work part tie while at uni anyway. It's better than working full time in a dodgy job which isn't going to take you anywhere just for the sake of time and to accumulate some money which you have no purpose for.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
The majority of people I know dont go to uni, and work in these "dodgy" jobs since high school, and are now earning more than any uni grad
Those are the people you know. Graduating with an arts degree also doesn't count.

G

Gavvvvvin

natstar said:
Why? If they dont know what they want to do, dont know anything about the course, then why waste the time and money. Going to uni doesent guarantee you a job, even thought it may give you more knowledge. But if your not sure what you want to do, then consider other options like deferring. Seriously, wait till your finished a year and realise how much time and money you have to put into it.
What exactly is deffering?

Does that mean I can basically start uni one year later?

What happens if during that year I decide I dont wanna go to uni? Can I just walk away from it then...or do you have to pay some kind of 'fucking the uni around' fee?

Will I still be guaranteed a spot in uni if I deffer?

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
The majority of people I know dont go to uni, and work in these "dodgy" jobs since high school, and are now earning more than any uni grad
Must be your social crowd.

Most of the people I know have been to Uni and are earning between 100 K
and 250 K per year.

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Excellent :cool:

So how exactly do I deffer?
Most people who defer do not end up going to uni.

So be careful and think hard about whether or not you want to risk that
and your reasons for defering.

Talk to one of the academic advisors at the uni you have been accepted at.

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
What I am talking about is that you dont have to go to uni to get a good job that you love and also that pays well. People that I was referring too include my best friend- who got a UAI of 59, got into UNE, but now works at the local RSL getting aprox 60k a year doing Bar work/celler work and security work. He is working his way up the ranking of the club, and will probably soon be a supervisor or duty manager.
Another guy I know, dropped out in year 11, and now is in the army getting aprox 100k a year.
I guess if you enjoy them that is fine.
To my way of thinking those are dead end jobs.

Most of the people in my extended family are in medicine and law .
Of those, half are in academia while the other half are in the commercial world.

I guess that everyone has different aspirations.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm sure a lot of us can dig what deathlessone's saying though...I mean, do we reeally know what we're getting ourselves into?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
natstar said:
Nothing is a dead end job if it pays well and you enjoy it. Not everyone can become a doctor or lawyer, nor does everyone want to be a doctor or lawyer
so true!

DeathlessOne: whenever you get around to it, try uni. What have you got to lose? (apart from time and money) - you might really like it. Or, even if you don't like it, you're not bound to it. You can drop out anytime! So ya might as well give it a shot... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)