I don't think i have it in me to be a poet! (1 Viewer)

kiniki

HSC
So for my major work, i've chosen poetry as my medium. You might've seen me on the other threads but i'm doing narrative poetry, with Dorothy Parker's 'The Monkey's Mask' as my biggest influence.

I didn't realise how difficult it is to get started, i've done a far bit of research on poetry, the aesthetics, construct and what not but it doesn't seem to be helping me. I've written two lines of my draft for my MW and i'm already stuck. I don't know what to write or how to write it :(

Are some people just not capable of doing poetry? I'm really disheartened right now...

HSC
if it makes you feel any better..99% of the state hate poetry

anyway although im doing CR.. i was kind of the same situation as you..
i didnt know how to start blah blah blah..etc etc et c

and although this advice will you piss you off..i overcame this by just writing..
it doesnt have to be the start

and now i dont know what im talking about so ill go off somewhere else

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You are capable. However, poetry is a very difficult medium to choose. You may be better of noting your ideas in prose, and then trying to work from there. Focusing on imagery, metaphor, and simile is a good way to get started. You'll find these are easier to transfer into poetic structure. They may also fuel you ideas for tempo, meter, and timing.

Also, sometimes it's easier to start in the middle of your work. Beginnings and Endings can often be hard to formulate. They're also the areas where the most work usually needs to go.

Essentially, if you can even get a very rough draft done, it will assist you greatly. Even if it is the bare backbone of your piece, you'll have something to work off.

Best of luck

isabe

HSC
There's this book by Stephen Fry which is like a DIY guide to writing poetry, it's called " The Ode less Travelled; unlocking the poet within". I didn't read all of it but it's probably be really useful.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's this book by Stephen Fry which is like a DIY guide to writing poetry, it's called " The Ode less Travelled; unlocking the poet within". I didn't read all of it but it's probably be really useful.
And if not, it's Stephen Fry, so it'd be a good read anyway. :)

kiniki

HSC
Also, sometimes it's easier to start in the middle of your work. Beginnings and Endings can often be hard to formulate. They're also the areas where the most work usually needs to go.

Aw thanks for the encouragement. I just need a bit of pushing to get me started I think...

Yeah i was thinking of doing each poem as if they were a profile of something, or a scene. So maybe I'll just write a poem on my character, on the dead body, on the characters/murderer then of the crime scene etc. Just to get me started and maybe I can mash it together and go from there..

Ah I have the worst sick feeling at the bottom of my stomach :(

That's a good idea but, writing in prose then switching to verse. I was thinking of doing it but then I was like - goddamnit I don't have the time and enthusiasm!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Well if you can do each scene individually, and then give yourself a basic structure you can piece it all together. I know with the script I'm writing for uni, I started with a bare backbone. Then added more scenes and better dialogue as I went along. It's still not done yet, but it's getting close.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
So for my major work, i've chosen poetry as my medium. You might've seen me on the other threads but i'm doing narrative poetry, with Dorothy Parker's 'The Monkey's Mask' as my biggest influence.

I didn't realise how difficult it is to get started, i've done a far bit of research on poetry, the aesthetics, construct and what not but it doesn't seem to be helping me. I've written two lines of my draft for my MW and i'm already stuck. I don't know what to write or how to write it :(

Are some people just not capable of doing poetry? I'm really disheartened right now...
You are me this time last year. Self doubt is quite a disarming thing to experience when writing, and trust me, I found it really difficult to start also.

First of all, I definitely agree with Absolutezero regarding starting in the middle of your work. I didn't formulate a definite structure until very, very late in the process. I wouldn't worry about beginnings and endings right now- just substance.

Be prepared to take risks. To think abstractly, to think lyrically. Poetry is poetry because it is not prose. Read for inspiration. Write for inspiration. Think for inspiration. Don't have reservations, just write. It might be the biggest piece of shit you've ever read (hey, when I started, I was a shocker) but at least you will have taken that first step forward.

Personally, I felt writing (whatever it was, and whatever relevance it had to my MW) usually opened up avenues I hadn't thought to explore. Trust yourself and move forward.

As always, very tangential advice from me. I'm sure you're very capable- I mean, you've got this far, right?

Asubmarine

HSC
Being stuck with the actual writing at this stage isn't too much to worry about imo. It's still early in year 12 and you can write considerably less than the word limit in poetry and get away with it as long as the work remains substantial.

I'd be more concerned about getting what you want to write and how under control first. If you read a lot of poetry, experiment with new ideas, and get a feel for how you want to write then putting pen to paper will eventally be really easy. For my EE2 project I found I could never write regularly, just in really big chunks after ages of research/outside reading... just my 2c

kiniki

HSC
get a feel for how you want to write then putting pen to paper will eventally be really easy

ok guys, update: it is getting a little bit easier, and i just realised i've written like 4 different poems for my 1st one.. looking back, their so unsophisticated. but the best way to refine them IMHO is to get some heavy criticism. is there anywhere I can upload them on the internet like on a poets forum or something where I can get some helpful advice? or do you guys want to have a sneak peek?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
ok guys, update: it is getting a little bit easier, and i just realised i've written like 4 different poems for my 1st one.. looking back, their so unsophisticated. but the best way to refine them IMHO is to get some heavy criticism. is there anywhere I can upload them on the internet like on a poets forum or something where I can get some helpful advice? or do you guys want to have a sneak peek?
PM me :) Feedback is the way to go.

or email: spongify_lemon@hotmail.com ... think thats easier.

oh, and also, try gotpoetry.com for criticism- it's great!

Last edited:

Asubmarine

HSC
i'm sorry alex.leon but I have to disagree with you on the internet poetry forums. Just my taste I guess, but I fricken hate them.. so many bad examples imo.

Also it's worth noting for everyone just starting that there's a few scams out there being circulated through poetry websites. There was a big story not long ago about poetry.com or something scamming money out of its members by telling them they had to pay a cover charge to receive some poetry award.

Anyway i'm happy to have a quick look at some work if u want to PM me or just post it up for everyone.
The best way to get regular feedback/criticism however is prob just from ur teacher. If you hand over heaps of drafts for review, even if your teacher isn't that great at feedback, you'll become way more critical of your own writing.. which is of course a good thing.

kiniki

HSC
alex has commented and made notes on two poems i sent him, so let me refine that and then ill post it up here :) thanks for your help guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)