I Got Nominated For Encore!!! Yeewww (1 Viewer)

Erotic Cakes

HSC
All I'm saying was that in my books he was certainly quite excellent, and musical, he also played all those side instruments like cornet, bugle and French horn for some reason haha.

My personal opinion about why brass don't get nominated, I think they're some of the harder instruments. Where you can technically play some pieces, but to make even like a grade 2 piece sound good is really difficult. Whereas (of course it's more complicated than this), pianists can make a piano sound good quite quickly. For the brass I reckon tone is everything, and I've heard very few trumpeters play with a brilliant tone, I think you really need to be pro to have that skill. That and brass mistakes really stand out, I make heaps of mistakes in my performances which no one but myself can hear, but the whole audience can hear mistakes made on the trumpet.

ashllis92

HSC
All I'm saying was that in my books he was certainly quite excellent, and musical, he also played all those side instruments like cornet, bugle and French horn for some reason haha.

My personal opinion about why brass don't get nominated, I think they're some of the harder instruments. Where you can technically play some pieces, but to make even like a grade 2 piece sound good is really difficult. Whereas (of course it's more complicated than this), pianists can make a piano sound good quite quickly. For the brass I reckon tone is everything, and I've heard very few trumpeters play with a brilliant tone, I think you really need to be pro to have that skill. That and brass mistakes really stand out, I make heaps of mistakes in my performances which no one but myself can hear, but the whole audience can hear mistakes made on the trumpet.
Certainly very true, I wasn't implying that your brother was a bad player simply that the examples you gave didn't support your argument very well, im sure he's quite good!
And about pianists, piano is infact rather hard to get a lot of tone colour from when compared to brass imo, having said that i haven't played either in years lol, I should pick them up aa=

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
Certainly very true, I wasn't implying that your brother was a bad player simply that the examples you gave didn't support your argument very well, im sure he's quite good!
And about pianists, piano is infact rather hard to get a lot of tone colour from when compared to brass imo, having said that i haven't played either in years lol, I should pick them up aa=
but hey, us pianists have a lot of people to compete with. sometimes i wish piano wasn't so popular...

ashllis92

HSC
but hey, us pianists have a lot of people to compete with. sometimes i wish piano wasn't so popular...

Dw, I'm a pianist too, I understand! It's so popular because it is easier to pick up than most instruments yet harder to master, and because it's plain awesome!

hamlaciso

HSC
N/A
I am a high school music teacher and in my time at the school we have had two brass players nominated and one go through, so I don't think that this is entirely true. However, both players were truely exceptional, one has gone on to win the "Ern Keller" (Big brass band solo competition in England) and one was Brass Band Association open champion in their instrument at the time...

StudyBuds

HSC
does anyone know the actual process of getting nominated for encore? like does your school apply, or do the examiners nominate?

flaminmo

HSC
you should have gotten around 14/15 or 100% in Music 2/Ext. or 19/20 or 100% for Music 1 and then you are put onto the 'short list' automatically I think... and then there are people who go over everyone's performance marks and comments and then choose. I think that's how they do it :)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
does anyone know the actual process of getting nominated for encore? like does your school apply, or do the examiners nominate?
the school has no hand in choosing, it's the examiners who recommend anyone for an encore nomination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)