• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I heard that it's possible for assesment ranks to jump after HSC results (2 Viewers)

Rohanco

HSC
So it's generally accepted that after all your internals are calculated to give you your assessment rank, that the rank given is fixed and can't be changed. But I heard from somewhere that in cases of EXTREME mark differences between a HSC result and it's corresponding Assessment rank, that the assessment rank actually can be pulled up accordingly. Is this true, or just an optimistic rumor? If it is possible, how much of an increase in marks must you score in the HSC for the rank to be affected?

Thanks for your time :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure it's true

for example if your assessment mark is 2 because someone bombs out and your mark is 78
it would be a bit unfair to give you an HSC mark of 40

however i'm not sure how drastic this change is

deswa1

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's true

for example if your assessment mark is 2 because someone bombs out and your mark is 78
it would be a bit unfair to give you an HSC mark of 40

however i'm not sure how drastic this change is
How would your assessment mark be 2? The only possible way this could happen is if you were ranked last and one guy answered one multiple choice question in a whole paper... I get what you're saying but I don't think they can change assessment ranks. Sometimes they treat people as outliers if their performance is significantly different from their cohort etc. but I don't think your assessment mark can be pulled up. If it could, I imagine the scenario would be extreme- like an assessment mark of fifty (so a really bad rank) and then close to state rank external (which won't happen for someone that ranked lowly at school).

Not totally sure though- happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong

madharris

HSC
N/A
How would your assessment mark be 2? The only possible way this could happen is if you were ranked last and one guy answered one multiple choice question in a whole paper... I get what you're saying but I don't think they can change assessment ranks. Sometimes they treat people as outliers if their performance is significantly different from their cohort etc. but I don't think your assessment mark can be pulled up. If it could, I imagine the scenario would be extreme- like an assessment mark of fifty (so a really bad rank) and then close to state rank external (which won't happen for someone that ranked lowly at school).

Not totally sure though- happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong
I could be wrong but I'm just going off what one of my teachers told me.
Of course an assessment mark won't be 2 but I was just exaggerating

asdfqwerty

HSC
I have also been told that you generally get marks around the external mark that you get if there is a large gap between your internal and external.

michaeljennings

HSC
Your internal ranks cant be changed, regardless of what happens in the HSC. If there are 2 people in a cohort and your ranked 2nd. If the person ahead of you bombs the externals and you do better than they did, they still receive a higher internal (assessment) mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)