I lie therefore I am?.... (1 Viewer)

cayte

Xayma said:
Polygraphs rely on what most people do when they lie, ie heart rate rises, they sweat more and hold their breath, but people who are calm when they lie or if they are experienced with the knowledge of how they work then it can be avoided (as they will know that their lie wont be detected), so they won't work all the time.
Well duh. Which is the point. And not only do they not always detect when an individual lies, the graph can also falsely incriminate an individual making physiological responses to the fact that they are even being given the polygraph in the first place. As far as I knew the "technology" was not used today for these reasons.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cayte said:
Well duh. Which is the point. And not only do they not always detect when an individual lies, the graph can also falsely incriminate an individual making physiological responses to the fact that they are even being given the polygraph in the first place. As far as I knew the "technology" was not used today for these reasons.
Your right. Polygraphs are old and out-of-date.

owoodley

Xayma said:
Whitlam would have been the death of this country, he was reckless with his spending, his ideas were grand but impractical, and impossible in the long term.
QUOTE]

Please expand.... Whitlam's ideas were hardly impratical:

- ended conscription and withdrew Australian troops from Vietnam.

- implemented equal pay for women.

- launched an inquiry into education and funded government and non-government schools on a needs basis.

- established a separate ministry responsible for aboriginal affairs and supported the idea of land rights.

- recast our foreign policy by withdrawing support for South Africa, recognising China, granting independence to Papua-New Guinea and distancing Australia from USA foreign policy.

- abolished tertiary education fees and established the Tertiary Education Assistance Scheme.

- increased pensions.

- established a universal system of health insurance known as Medibank.

- established controls on foreign ownership of Australian resources.

- passed the Family Law Act, establishing no-fault divorce.

- passed a series of laws banning racial and sexual discrimination.

- extended maternity leave and benefits for single mothers.

- sought to democratise the electoral system by introducing one-vote-one-value.

And reckless with spending?.... what about the international factors, such as the inflation caused by the trebling of oil prices by the Middle East Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), which created great economic difficulties.

-

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Lie detector tests ain't fool proof anyway. I don't think he should sit a lie detector test, I reckon we follow the ancient Spartan example, but modernise it.

After a leader's time in power his actions whilst in command come under review (through a referendum or something). If the people ain't happy, he goes to gaol or something. Of course this needs thinking through before it becomes an Act, but the general idea is that a leader is responsible to the people for his actions, as it should be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)