i missed an exam (1 Viewer)

Chang

HSC
Ok heres my dilemma, i missed an exams but the only reason why i didnt turn up is because i slept in.... wot am i supposed to do i mean im not sure if my doctor will just give me a certificate and so i can fill in a misadventure slip. On top of that my exam is worth 70% of my final mark. Wot should i do?

DO you believe the excuse my dog got hit by a car will work?

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
quickly go to a doctor and ask for a doctors certificate, and lodge in a defferal of final exam notice within 2 days of teh date of the final exam your missing.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
haha ... dog getting hit by a car .. thats so primary school excuses :p

Rule number one of uni: They do not like giving extensions for assignments, and will not accept little crappy excuses like my printer broke. My friend used that and she ended up with a fail for an assignment.

Just go and see the doctor and see what happens, although, you shouldn't really be doing that.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
what are you going to say when you go to the doctror
it has to be something that requires a docs certificate

Jacks

HSC
umm coming up with a dodgy excuse really isn't going to help you, because they'll most likely see right through it. Your best bet would be to apply for a deferred examination for medical reasons...so I'd advise you get sick fast otherwise there isn't much you can do. I wrote about how to apply for the deferred examination in a previous thread so see that for details on how to lodge an application. Go to the doctor and see what happens...maybe they will find something slightly wrong with you that will get you off the hook...but I'd advise against making up misadventure stories...applications do need to be approved and silly excuses will not be accepted. You have a few days to get this sorted so rush to the doctor now...claim to have stomach cramps and severe diarrhoea...hehe that would prevent you from sitting an exam....bad luck though, hope you sort something out...give it a go and tell us what happens.

Edit: here is the link to the thread, see the last post http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?p=1628362#post1628362

I do agree with Cape though that you shouldn't really be going to the doctor...but if I were in your place I'd probably try anything...so just keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahhaha you are screwed. im sorry for laughing. but seriously. unless u have glandular, its pretty hard to get them to let u resit the exam

Jacks

HSC
I agree with natstar...it is your own responsibilty but since the damage is done you'll just have to try your doctor. If you make up a stupid excuse looking to be granted a deferred exam on the grounds of misadventure I can pretty much tell you right now it wouldn't be accepted. At least if you get a doctor's certificate you'll have documentation, but of course you can't just go to your doctor and say "I slept in, missed my exam, can you write me something to help?" unless you have narcolepsy there is no way you can expect a doctor to put their reputation on the line like that. So if the doctor thing doesn't work I don't know what to tell you, because your dog being run over, while horrible, is not a good enough fabrication :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have a feeling I am going to sleep in and miss my exam on Wednesday! I have to wake up at 4am! Thats going to hurt :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes. in order to become a socially acceptable adult you must take responsibility for your own actions!!!!! (Imitates natstar)
These things happen. Chances are its his fault and he's fucking worried sick. he doesn't need a lecture.
I nearly missed a marketing exam. People do stupid things under stress. Like waking up at 4am in the morning, double checking to see if the alarm is set, then putting the alarm at the exam's start. Luckily, in my case, i ended up waking up again in one hour, and checking the alarm for a second time.

Jacks

HSC
wow cape that's early...I had to do that last year for exams...I think that itself is enough for special consideration...how can you concentrate and do an exam when you have to get up that early! that's insane!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know. The fact that absolutely NO trains run from strathfield to richmond before 7am, means I have to catch a train to blacktown and switch there. And northern line trains don't connect with western line trains ... and grr ... I'm going to be so grumpy on wednesday! or dead tired before I even set foot in the exam room :(

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
soha said:
what are you going to say when you go to the doctror
it has to be something that requires a docs certificate

every doctor i have been to doesn't care if you are lying, they just give you one as long as you sign the medicare paper thing

Chang

HSC
Well its ok, i threw up today and i just got a certificate from the doc. He said im having withdrawral symtoms from my previous medication. Either that or my current throat infection is infecting my stomach. Well he said one of those two which means im legitimatly sick. Neways thx for your concerns

stazi

Nightman
HSC
let us know the result. from what ive heard most unis dont let you resit an exam regardless of whether you are sick or not. its like the hsc

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
Does that mean if your boss tells you that you have to work on the day of your exam, that you can use it as an excuse?? lol, heaps of my lecturers went on about work commitments and how they were no excuse! It just sounds strange thats all

Idyll

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
let us know the result. from what ive heard most unis dont let you resit an exam regardless of whether you are sick or not. its like the hsc
At UNSW they seem to let people sit the supplementary exam instead of the final exam if they missed it.

Jacks

HSC
pussy_cat said:
Does that mean if your boss tells you that you have to work on the day of your exam, that you can use it as an excuse?? lol, heaps of my lecturers went on about work commitments and how they were no excuse! It just sounds strange thats all
no I don't think that's what it means...it has to be something with long term consequence or affect, I'm not sure of what an example would be but I know they do not use having to work as a reason, so don't try it!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
pussy_cat said:
No. Simply because you had been given ample time of notice about when your exams are. Of which you should tell your boss about your exams anyway. Once again, the boss told me to work is a pretty lame excuse :p

Idyll

HSC
I think they mean something that would cause significant amounts of stress through emotional issues or financial issues. e.g. If your boss sacked you from your full-time job on the Monday before the exam you might get special consideration. At least that's the way I interpret that sentence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)