I need a Backup in Case I Fail (1 Viewer)

JRPictures

HSC
To put it straight, my Dad is forcing me to create a backup plan for myself in case I fail the HSC.

This started after he got a letter from the school saying I have to resit my half-yearly Maths exam because I didn't get a passing mark.

Even though I'm determined to make sure I don't fail, he still wants me to make up a backup plan.

What options are there for a 17 year old who isn't particularly strong or smart whose best strong point is a massive knowledge of film?

If any of you can give some good suggestions I'll appreciate it. :D

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
- What film features a scene in which death plays chess?

- Who is the only actor to have had significant roles in 5 films, all of which were nominated for the best picture academy award?

- What is referred to in the film name "Synecdoche: New York"?

- In The Truman Show, what is the symbolism behind the names "Truman" and "Christoph"?

- What item is infamously said to appear in every shot of Fight Club?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
To put it straight, my Dad is forcing me to create a backup plan for myself in case I fail the HSC.

This started after he got a letter from the school saying I have to resit my half-yearly Maths exam because I didn't get a passing mark.

Even though I'm determined to make sure I don't fail, he still wants me to make up a backup plan.

What options are there for a 17 year old who isn't particularly strong or smart whose best strong point is a massive knowledge of film?

If any of you can give some good suggestions I'll appreciate it. :D

What a lovely school/father you have.

A)There is no such thing as "failing" the hsc because nothing is given as a pass/fail mark etc.

As for options (I assuming this is in case you don't get into uni right off the bat):

1) Get a full time job somewhere and earn money. If you not studying, at least make some money. There are quite a few entry level jobs out there for HS leavers if you wanted to work. I know of quite a few people that started working full time out of school, and now they work for companies that allow them to study (part time in the evenings) to help them with work. Look on sites like seek using key words like "school leaver" and "entry level". When I finished school my atar wasn't good enough to get into the course I wanted. I ended up applying for a bunch of different jobs around the city for admin/receptionist work. In the end I was having a phone interview and they asked why I wasn't going to uni (I -could- have gone to uni, just not my preferred unis), and they offered me a different position as an accounting cadet. Long story story I'm now studying accounting at the one uni I didn't want to go, but I got a pretty good career when I wasn't looking. And the girl who got the admin job is now my friend :p

2) Study at TAFE. IMO; TAFE is for practical skills/jobs and University is for white collar workers. Many trades do make a great amount of money if you work hard. Or you could just study something that interests you and then apply for TAFE next year (or as a mature student when your 21). My friend got a ~55ish ATAR, he did TAFE for a year and worked hard, and is now studying a ~95ATAR course at UTS :)

3)Travel! Your never going to have a better chance in your life to just pack up and see the world. You've got no debts, no commitments and it gives you plenty of new experiences! I get that a lot of parents don't approve of this sort of thing, but you never know what you might become. Maybe you'll even find a job and end up living overseas? Haha who knows!

4) Don't fail. Not really a backup plan but if your determined to get to uni straight out of school than start working harder than ever now! :p

JRPictures

HSC
- What film features a scene in which death plays chess?
The Seventh Seal (1957) - Directed by Ingmar Bergman

- Who is the only actor to have had significant roles in 5 films, all of which were nominated for the best picture academy award?
That's a broad question. Plenty of actors have been in multiple films that were nominated for Best Picture. Narrowing down one would be hard.

- What is referred to in the film name "Synecdoche: New York"?
Haven't seen it, so I don't know

- In The Truman Show, what is the symbolism behind the names "Truman" and "Christoph"?
*Christof represented Jesus as an "off-Christ" ("Christ-off") or Antichrist while Truman means true man or simply a faithful man.

- What item is infamously said to appear in every shot of Fight Club?
A Starbucks coffee cup according to Fincher.

I'm a movie buff but it doesn't mean I know everything some of these were just lucky.

So what was the point in these questions?

Last edited:

JRPictures

HSC
What a lovely school/father you have.

A)There is no such thing as "failing" the hsc because nothing is given as a pass/fail mark etc.

As for options (I assuming this is in case you don't get into uni right off the bat):

1) Get a full time job somewhere and earn money. If you not studying, at least make some money. There are quite a few entry level jobs out there for HS leavers if you wanted to work. I know of quite a few people that started working full time out of school, and now they work for companies that allow them to study (part time in the evenings) to help them with work. Look on sites like seek using key words like "school leaver" and "entry level". When I finished school my atar wasn't good enough to get into the course I wanted. I ended up applying for a bunch of different jobs around the city for admin/receptionist work. In the end I was having a phone interview and they asked why I wasn't going to uni (I -could- have gone to uni, just not my preferred unis), and they offered me a different position as an accounting cadet. Long story story I'm now studying accounting at the one uni I didn't want to go, but I got a pretty good career when I wasn't looking. And the girl who got the admin job is now my friend :p

2) Study at TAFE. IMO; TAFE is for practical skills/jobs and University is for white collar workers. Many trades do make a great amount of money if you work hard. Or you could just study something that interests you and then apply for TAFE next year (or as a mature student when your 21). My friend got a ~55ish ATAR, he did TAFE for a year and worked hard, and is now studying a ~95ATAR course at UTS :)

3)Travel! Your never going to have a better chance in your life to just pack up and see the world. You've got no debts, no commitments and it gives you plenty of new experiences! I get that a lot of parents don't approve of this sort of thing, but you never know what you might become. Maybe you'll even find a job and end up living overseas? Haha who knows!

4) Don't fail. Not really a backup plan but if your determined to get to uni straight out of school than start working harder than ever now! :p
Yeah my dad's a saint (he also wants no failure this year. Yeah I hate him.) -_- and so is my school.

And thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
:p you don't need help. Just make sure your lowest UAC preference is an ATAR you'll definitely get. No problemo

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Indeed what other people say. Most famous film directors including Stanley Kubrick and Quentin Tarantino never went into higher tertiary education because their marks were too low (don't know about Tarantino, but Kubrick did not make it!). Perhaps directors like these are born creative somehow..., if you think you can go into films, then do so.

Otherwise:
Logo.jpg

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Indeed what other people say. Most famous film directors including Stanley Kubrick and Quentin Tarantino never went into higher tertiary education because their marks were too low (don't know about Tarantino, but Kubrick did not make it!). Perhaps directors like these are born creative somehow..., if you think you can go into films, then do so.

Otherwise:
View attachment 28142
BUahahahahaha, uws LOL

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
But seriously, TAFE or College (very expensive) are options you can take, then transfer into a uni. Also, if you are disadvantaged in any possible way, then maybes apply for EAS, because I certainly do know someone who got into UTS (B.Sci/B.Bus) with low 80s that high late 80s.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But most working directors did at least some type of education, training or placement. The big name exceptions are big names because the break the mould.

Acetute

HSC
The world is your playground - there are infinite possibilities for you, with uni being but one of them.

In terms of education, there are plenty of places you can get educated beyond school.
In terms of work, there are plenty of jobs out there for people of all talents.
In terms of the future, there are plenty of opportunities - through work, education, connections, family, friends and others, for you to have new experiences, sustain yourself through life and even be successful.

For your interest in film in particular, you could look at studying full-time/part-time through TAFE or anywhere else you prefer while trying to find a shoe-in into the film industry.

Best of luck

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
HAHAHAHAHA

UWS IS AWESOME, STOP BEING MEAN.

The UWS representative came to my school yesterday: "the atar cut off that you see is the lowest ATAR that we accept"

I wanted to jump and say "no, you accept 70 for LAW"

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad
HAHAHAHAHA

The UWS representative came to my school yesterday: "the atar cut off that you see is the lowest ATAR that we accept"

U srs?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
HAHAHAHAHA

Clearly they don't teach math at your school.

The lowest ATAR for any combined (or otherwise) law degree at UWS is 90.
You can have a maximum of 10 bonus points, thus, the lowest you can have is 80.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)