I need some answers... (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
2014 HSC - Term 1

Advanced English .......... 4/10, 6/15 Rank: Legit...Last
Math .......................... 55-60%? Rank: IDK yet
Biology ....................... 18/20 Rank: No point ~ All mixed up since a lot of people got 18-19 ish
Physics........................ 95% Rank: FIRST
Chemistry..................... No idea. I think i did good? 90%+?

Ok i'm gonna go direct with this: Should and can I still change subjects?

- First off i was thinking about dropping to "General". I choose standard math because i heard general scales bad, dont pick it etc, so i tried to avoid it and do my BEST in 2unit. But ever since the start of year 11, I've NEVER gotten over 70%....NEVER. I had like, high expectation for myself to get around 80-90%. But at the end, the test kinda fcked me up. :( . Even for tutor, I'm at the dumbest class out of the 4. And the tutor was like why don't you guys drop to general? It's much easier blah blah blah. Should i drop?

- Science is alright, i like the subject. EXCEPT for chemistry. I don't know WTF is going on. Every time i study it (which I legit do), it gets boring later. I think i did good because it was just a "Research Assignment" which is easy since i just need to search up the stuff. Trust me, I get screwed in half-yearlies/yearlies for chem man. IF it's possible...i was thinking about dropping to "Senior Science". I know it scales sh1t and all that but i was thinking about this: Why can't I just do the subjects which i can get good marks in and stop relying on this scaling sh1t?

- I have nothing to say for English..... I'm working on my Module A essay and getting some feedback. What do u think?

Correct me if i'm wrong on whatever i say here. And uh, please give me suggestions? Thank you :)

d-alarmclock

HSC
Honestly, I think you're having trouble with the subjects because you don't understand them and have lost confidence in yourself. I think if you work hard to properly UNDERSTAND and not just MEMORISE (like everyone else does), I reckon you should still do okay. Good luck mate.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, congratulations to your wonderful rank and mark for physics!-keep the good work up:)

"But ever since the start of year 11, I've NEVER gotten over 70%....NEVER. I had like, high expectation for myself to get around 80-90%. But at the end, the test kinda fcked me up. . Even for tutor, I'm at the dumbest class out of the 4. And the tutor was like why don't you guys drop to general? It's much easier blah blah blah. Should i drop?"

Perhaps to jump from 70% to 80% might be a bit massive, have you consider setting your goal to 75%, and then when you have achieved it, to increased it to 80%, 85% and then 90%? Don't give up, and don't lose hope, and please don't drop to general JUST YET. Remember, your internal rank matters, your mark matters less, so depending on how hard your school assessment were-getting 70% does not necessarily instantly denies you the opportunity to a band 6. Obviously your current tutor seems slightly impatient with your class, have you considered getting a private maths tutor who perhaps can really be able to target your own personal weakness and transform them into strengths-a bit hard to do in a class setting-this weakness may not only be in certain maths topics, perhaps transforming the way you are studying for maths may help you out as well.

Stop saying NEVER-you need to transform your mentality that it is impossible to reach over 70% threshold. You have to say-I have not been able to exceed it YET, but I am going to take constructive actions to exceed that threshold. Transforming your attitude and mentality to an optimistic, constructive one is the first step, and most important step to improving your marks in maths

"I don't know WTF is going on. Every time i study it (which I legit do), it gets boring later. I think i did good because it was just a "Research Assignment" which is easy since i just need to search up the stuff. Trust me, I get screwed in half-yearlies/yearlies for chem man. IF it's possible...i was thinking about dropping to "Senior Science". I know it scales sh1t and all that but i was thinking about this: Why can't I just do the subjects which i can get good marks in and stop relying on this scaling sh1t?"

This might be because you are not connecting the concepts you are learning in chemistry-either within the module or across modules effectively enough with practical applications in real life. Perhaps researching more in your spare time, watching you tube videos, teaching the content to a friend or classmate, try to engage and be passionate about the subject. I don't recommend you to drop down to senior science. I know that you may not like this scaling system, but if you want a high ATAR, you might as well just follow the rules of the system and try to use them to your advantage. Everyone is in the same boat-they will be subjected to the same scaling system. I know the fact that doing research assignment may bore you on the content you are studying-perhaps make visual mind maps of the module, still complete them to the best of your ability because you want to maximise your internal rank which helps you get a good HSC mark provided you also perform well in the external HSC exam.

Again, transforming your attitude to learning chemistry and engaging chemistry content consistently over a prolonged period using different types of resources is VITAL to transforming and improving your marks in it.

- I have nothing to say for English..... I'm working on my Module A essay and getting some feedback. What do u think?
lol, you should have plenty to say about English-after all, it is a beautiful subject to study once you get the hang of it. If you happen to finish your module A essay during January, you are more than welcome to PM it to me or send it to my email at strawberrye@live.com.au for checking and getting some detailed feedback:)

Hope this helps, don't give up yet, don't lose hope in the system, focus and congratulate and reward yourself on your successes so far and improve on subjects you might not have done as well as you like. Always evaluate your own progress and make sure you don't stress yourself out too much. Take some time out to rest and relax this holidays-this will make you motivated to continuing study hard next term. KEEP GOING:) If you have any more questions, welcome to PM me

Zokunu

HSC
First of all, congratulations to your wonderful rank and mark for physics!-keep the good work up:)

"But ever since the start of year 11, I've NEVER gotten over 70%....NEVER. I had like, high expectation for myself to get around 80-90%. But at the end, the test kinda fcked me up. . Even for tutor, I'm at the dumbest class out of the 4. And the tutor was like why don't you guys drop to general? It's much easier blah blah blah. Should i drop?"

Perhaps to jump from 70% to 80% might be a bit massive, have you consider setting your goal to 75%, and then when you have achieved it, to increased it to 80%, 85% and then 90%? Don't give up, and don't lose hope, and please don't drop to general JUST YET. Remember, your internal rank matters, your mark matters less, so depending on how hard your school assessment were-getting 70% does not necessarily instantly denies you the opportunity to a band 6. Obviously your current tutor seems slightly impatient with your class, have you considered getting a private maths tutor who perhaps can really be able to target your own personal weakness and transform them into strengths-a bit hard to do in a class setting-this weakness may not only be in certain maths topics, perhaps transforming the way you are studying for maths may help you out as well.

Stop saying NEVER-you need to transform your mentality that it is impossible to reach over 70% threshold. You have to say-I have not been able to exceed it YET, but I am going to take constructive actions to exceed that threshold. Transforming your attitude and mentality to an optimistic, constructive one is the first step, and most important step to improving your marks in maths

"I don't know WTF is going on. Every time i study it (which I legit do), it gets boring later. I think i did good because it was just a "Research Assignment" which is easy since i just need to search up the stuff. Trust me, I get screwed in half-yearlies/yearlies for chem man. IF it's possible...i was thinking about dropping to "Senior Science". I know it scales sh1t and all that but i was thinking about this: Why can't I just do the subjects which i can get good marks in and stop relying on this scaling sh1t?"

This might be because you are not connecting the concepts you are learning in chemistry-either within the module or across modules effectively enough with practical applications in real life. Perhaps researching more in your spare time, watching you tube videos, teaching the content to a friend or classmate, try to engage and be passionate about the subject. I don't recommend you to drop down to senior science. I know that you may not like this scaling system, but if you want a high ATAR, you might as well just follow the rules of the system and try to use them to your advantage. Everyone is in the same boat-they will be subjected to the same scaling system. I know the fact that doing research assignment may bore you on the content you are studying-perhaps make visual mind maps of the module, still complete them to the best of your ability because you want to maximise your internal rank which helps you get a good HSC mark provided you also perform well in the external HSC exam.

Again, transforming your attitude to learning chemistry and engaging chemistry content consistently over a prolonged period using different types of resources is VITAL to transforming and improving your marks in it.

lol, you should have plenty to say about English-after all, it is a beautiful subject to study once you get the hang of it. If you happen to finish your module A essay during January, you are more than welcome to PM it to me or send it to my email at strawberrye@live.com.au for checking and getting some detailed feedback:)

Hope this helps, don't give up yet, don't lose hope in the system, focus and congratulate and reward yourself on your successes so far and improve on subjects you might not have done as well as you like. Always evaluate your own progress and make sure you don't stress yourself out too much. Take some time out to rest and relax this holidays-this will make you motivated to continuing study hard next term. KEEP GOING:) If you have any more questions, welcome to PM me
Cheers man :)

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC

I swear to go I love your responses! So much effort and thought goes in to each one :)

Zokunu

HSC
k, just a quick question. I was just wondering IF (i said if alright), I did actually move, what happens to the ranks and marks? Are they all gonna be done based on an estimate or somethin?

study1234

HSC
Don't drop, just keep motivated and study even harder. Amazing comebacks are possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)