I now know what you mean by completely random questions in BIOC2101 (1 Viewer)

ichiraku

HSC
that reminds me of BIOS1101 - best subject evar!!!!!!! *cough*

Tim035

HSC
ichiraku said:
that reminds me of BIOS1101 - best subject evar!!!!!!! *cough*
Haha, spend 2 hours copying notes off posters and another hour identifying different plants!
Still... I always found those little quizzes easy marks, just like PHPH2101 this semester. Oh that reminds me, some people were saying that for the 3 pre-lab quizzes you do, it is your best 2 that get averaged, is this correct? Would be kind of good seeing as I got 10, 9 and 5! (they wouldn't give us a quiz 2 weeks in a row!)...Ah crap.

FeelBare

HSC
Damn Tim that's nice. I'm in the tuesday morning class and there was a BIOC2101 quiz right before that damn quiz I think (Week 3?). If there was one, I missed it because we were all at the squarehouse and I left late =.=.........

Just to clarify...were there four or three quizzes?

Tim035

HSC
There were 3, I had a couple of friends who missed their quiz that week aswell due to the BIOC test, not overly fair.
I really hope the MCQ in phph2101 relating to the prac material isn't to specific... I've spent most of my time on theory with those past papers and redoing the tutes, desparatly trying to summarise / relearn the vitals for each practical now.

ichiraku

HSC
Yeah, I missed the start of one of the labs where they had a test, so I pretty much got 0 for that one. For the first exam, did they say there would be one short answer question from blood, CVS and neurophysiology or was it 2 from CVS and 1 from neurophysiology?

Tim035

HSC
Well what Vickery said is, most likely there will be:
1- Blood and or CVS (as Ulman did the lectures on blood but also the 1st 3 lectures on CVS I.e. general structure & measuring blood volume, electrical events of cvs cycle & mechanical events of the cvs cycle).

2- CVS

3- Neurophysiology (some of the past paper questions for this section are actually really weird / difficult)-
After staring at a hole in the floor of the train for a period of time you look up at one of your friends to see what appears to be parts of her face moving, discuss why this illusion may have occured.
And my other favourite- Discuss the difficulties if you had merkel disks for hearing receptors and hair cells for touch receptors.

I'm definatly choosing the one thats more straight forward- theory based, providing I know enough about it; rather than trying to confabricate some kind of elaborate answer relating to why a certain illusion occured or something....

FeelBare

HSC
God.. I'm going through Vickery's lectures..... they're shockers; pretty lecture slides but you know, need more than that to get a pass mark for that neurophysiology "short answer" question.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Luckily for us in 2007, Molecular Biology had no Practical Exam. The final week also had no lab.

We did however had to do a 3% essay, yes an essay that's worth a tiny amount! Spent so much time, it's a god-forsaken asssessment, whoever designed that must have come from Hell's University.

You have some quizzes again like BIOC2101, a Practical Examination and Theory Examination (both held in final exam period). Again calculations based for practical, they'll drill you in that you'll sleep talk how a Beta-Galactosidase Gene actually works.

No doubts mol bio is a much better subject that 2101, equally hard however. Don't let me and survivor's marks deceive you. I did enjoy it though, very interesting stuff.

@Feelbare and other fellow students: Yes there is a peer assessment which allows you to mark down peers who did not do well. However, if they do not actively help our group, it'll pull down our marks anyway from a possible 27/30 to a 15/30.

Peer assessement is not useful, if they're going to get a 50% mark reduction, leading to only 7.5/30, from a 15/30. Then it's hurting me as well, since I'm not getting the 27/30.

I'll tell you what, Team work does not work at all. Unless if you're working with people of equal or similar calibre. :D

Rekkusu

HSC
Haha sorry for not responding to your msg survivor!

@Survivor: Oh B & D was supposed to be yesterday at Kingsford haha, but somehow someone lit a fire there, obviously they didn't want to do a supp exam, but wanted one more day to study :D So it was moved to today at Lvl 3 labs.

Tim035

HSC
The more I hear, the more tempting it becomes to do cell biology over molecular biology....
Hooray, physio paper 1 down.... The neuro question was really weird, required a lot of lateral thinking beyond the theory covered in the lectures, some mcq were cruely specific about a certain method or step done in a prac; overall though I'd say it was a reasonably good exam.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hi Feelbare,

Just to let you know, WebCT automatically adds your subjects after approximately at the end of Semester 1 provided you enrolled in the course at MyUNSW about 4-5 weeks ago.

Anyway even if you do see it, you won't have access to it until Week Zero.

Tim035

HSC
Micro was interesting..... A few of the short answers I wasn't really sure what they were asking for, and some of the long answers it was hard to write more then half a page whilst others required atleast 2.5 pages to answer.
Just have to wait and see now :D

Rekkusu

HSC
Wow Ruiting must have changed the format of the exam a lot. Still though I like how Microbiology is rarely if ever Multiple Choice-based anymore.

Back in my time when I did this course, there were 40 short answer questions, they gave you the lines as well, so there was only so much you could write. Additionally, each question was worth 1 mark. So in real terms, whatever marks you got in the final exam was equivalent to your final MICR2011 mark. It's so much better in that you don't get weird 84.xxx marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Back in my days, we had multiple choices, a few short answers and one essay.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)