I REALLY need a high ATAR!! ATAR estimate please! (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
okay pretend OP gets these marks
Chemistry - 94
Physics - 91
Biology - 95
Adv English - 90 (not hard in a school that gets 20+ B6 for english)
MX1 - 97
MX2 - 95

thats already 99.65 according to the calculator i use, so all these estimates of ~98 are retarded LOL
and trust me i know, although i was in a top 10 school, people who had english ranks of like 110/160 ended up with 99.5+
The number of band 6s in English is usually ~10, not ~20 as OP said, he's looking at ~88 there.
It's difficult to see how the max mark is at that school. I know at my school (rank ~35), top mark is ~95 in physics and ~94 in chemistry. I find it unlikely that he would pull off a 94 but then again, he is rank 1 and it's hard to say how good he actually is.
I'd say Chemistry is more around 92-93 and physics 89-90.

As for MX1 and MX2, you can't tell how good he is. My school's max is 96 in MX1 and ~96 in MX2.
I'd say he will get 95 in MX1 and 94 in MX2 but again, at the top, it's immensely difficult to estimate properly.

I'm not sure about Biology at my school but it would be near mid-90s, I'd say OP is looking at 93 in biology but once again, hard to estimate.

Einstein ATAR calculator gives 99.20 but you need to take into consideration that it tends to slightly overestimate science/maths and slightly underestimate humanities

My personal prediction: 98.70+

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
Thanks, although I really like official's estimate I think that someth1ng's prediction is more realistic... especially for English. Our school's highest for biology and chemistry is usually in the mid band 6 range and for maths the highest was 98 for Ex1 and 96 for Ex2 last year (pretty exceptional year). Because of that I think I can do better for the sciences and maths but then again I don't know until I get the actual results :(.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, although I really like official's estimate I think that someth1ng's prediction is more realistic... especially for English. Our school's highest for biology and chemistry is usually in the mid band 6 range and for maths the highest was 98 for Ex1 and 96 for Ex2 last year (pretty exceptional year). Because of that I think I can do better for the sciences and maths but then again I don't know until I get the actual results :(.
If you think you can match last year's results, you can probably push to around 99.20 but if you can't then you're looking more towards the high 98s to maybe flat 99 (maybe a tad over). It really depends on your externals to actually determine how you go overall.

There was someone at our school that smashed maths and the sciences but bombed out in English. He had what I believe was ~93 in physics and chemistry and I'm quite sure was ~98 in MX1 and MX2, he turned out with a low-mid 99s. Your English was better but it's hard to compare you for many reasons.

Your school rank is unstable and cohort strengths seem to vary greatly, this school is slightly higher ranked than last year's and you're mostly at the top.

Either way, an estimate is an estimate and Official could still be correct with his estimate but I feel that it's a bit inflated (no offence to anyone). You're looking at a great ATAR ahead of you in any estimate given :)

Last edited:

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Maybe my estimate was a tad on the higher side, but from the experience of someone who has sat their hsc and knowing the general atar estimates given in these places, i believe 99+ is guaranteed, if not higher.
@thief, not really, at burwood girls usually highest chem/bio marks are 95, and 3u/4u marks are like 97-98, so in those cases, my estimate of marks isnt that much off.
@someth1ng, i see where you are coming from, but in all honesty, the general trend for subjects like english advanced is that each year there are more and more band 6s. I guess the only way to test both our hypotheses is to actually see how cartoonmaiz really goes ahaha.

but i still think mid 99s is likely.

I know because my english rank was really shit :)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Oh and someth1ing, i did exactly the same subjects as you for both prelim and hsc (including SLR)

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't done so well academically in years 7-10. I've only started trying really hard in my senior years so when I got my final ranks HSC ranks I was moderately pleased. However, people have been telling me that with my ranks I cannot get a high enough ATAR to get into UNSW medicine (99.6+).

Final Ranks:
Adv Eng: 15/85
Biology: 1/68
Chemistry: 1/54
Maths Ex 1: 2/75
Maths Ex 2: 1/22
Physics: 4/35 --- I might drop this.

School Ranks:
2011- 60ish
2010- 120ish

Last year we got 20 band 6s in Eng Adv but normally we get 10-12 band 6s.
You dont need 99.6 to get into UNSW med (unless you UMAT was terrible). In my course there are people with UMAT scores around 90 and ATARS of low 99's so dw. your interview is probably the most important thing (apart from UMAT)

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
Okay I have received my hsc results and I just want to say that official's estimate of 99.60+ was right. Although there were a few disappointments in my results for some subjects I am relatively pleased. Thanks to all the people who gave me an estimate.

By the way I was able to a band 6 in English even with my bad school rank (although my assessment mark (89) did drag my overall mark down to 91).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)