I still don't get RFTG... (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
What the hell is it?

My teacher keeps avoiding the question; she'll tell us we need to come up with our own definition of it. Thats probably good, in the spirit of independent thinking and all... but its not much help when I dont have any place to start at all :(

Any RFTGers can tell me what it's all about so I can get a fair idea of what it is? I've sadly got an upcoming assessment but I'm still lost on this fundamental thing :(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
there isnt really a clear definition, but basically what we said last year was that 'rftg' was a discussion about globalisation and people who were against it.. its not really clear, im a bit fuzzy

Giant Lobster

HSC
so ur saying that having done this module, u still dunno what rftg is? :p

damn i hate this module

Rahul

Dead Member
KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid!

retreat from the global is just that. retreating/rejecting the global values/concept of globalisation. that is the topic.

now, its your responsibility to 'discuss' the topic. you can look at how some individuals/communities react [or dont react] in the midst of global forces. it can become a very broad topic if you wish.

edit: the KISS principal doesnt mean that rftg is an easy concept, but keep it simple when you working through it.

jibba

retreat from the global tutoring?

so you really tutor for retreat from the global?
how can i acess such a god send?

HSC
N/A
I personally feel it's less about a straightforward answer than an open ended question.

Generally what youi want to look at is effects of globalisation on the local- in essence, we must "retreat from the global" in order to study the effects of globalisation from the local point of view.

Look at the loss of culture, local values, language, spirituality, family, the differences, economy... how it affects the individual, the community, struggles between accepting one or the other, coming from global/local or going to local/global...

Not in all cases does rejecting the global stand to reason- for example, the very act of accepting the global (usually for financial gain or other specific reasons) could be used as a case study for the Retreat from the Global module.

Most texts in the RFTG module are in favour of globalisation but it's possible that you could use a text in favour of globalisation as your related text and use it to show comparisons between the two (for example, try comparing books from two different modules- now THAT's interesting...)

And finally, in response to someone saying "globalisation and people that are against it" (not picking at you, just the point) it is interesting to note that in MacLeod's Lost Salt Gift of Blood, the anthology of short stories, most characters do not reject globalisation but see it as an inevitable part of life- they often accept it, but don't surcome to it.

I haven't read Rahul's notes on RFTG, but be wary of the notes Eldridge wrote on the HSC Online site. I'm one of his students, and even I don't get what's written on there (stole some bits for my eng ext 1 speech though, unfortunately he was sick today so he missed me throwing his own words back at him..grr). but if you are ever at one of his lectures, keep your ears out for the magic phrase "You want to talk about..." because THAT'S when the really good stuff comes out.

Best wishes!

HSC
N/A
Yes and no, mainly yes I guess, we get good marks, but there's a LOT of 'throwing into the deep end with no lifejackets' kind of thing in the way we 'approach' techniques, theories, ideologies etc... I tend to loose track of what's going on most of the time...

Oh, I just asked a friend of mine, and she specifically wanted to say "confusing" and "doesn't bore you to death but gets pretty close sometimes". Others add "Scary", "really, really, really eccentric" and "ugh, weird" (he has this incredibly unapproachable big scary head english teacher aura) but he is a good teacher, if you ignore his cries of "Baboon" and "Oh no, I've got the ugly class today!" (he promised us in Yr 11 that when we got to Yr 12, we'd be the 'pretty class')...

actually here are some quotes, since I'm in the mood...

Mr Eldridge: "Oh no! It's the ugly class!"
Our class: "WHAT?!?!?!"
Mr Eldridge: "Oh no it's a good thing, now you have prettiness to aspire to"

"And then you have people like me, I have an IQ of 190" (after explaining how most of us would have had to have IQ's of 165-175 to get into HGHS)

"_____! You're late! BABOON!!!!"

Mr Eldridge: "And after Post-Colonialism you should look at this reading, which I have made up, and I call it the Narratological Reading..."
My Class: "You made up your own reading? You can't just make up your own reading! What are we supposed to do, say like, "And David Eldridge says..."
Mr Eldridge: "But other schools do it, all the time, when I go out on my little seminars..."
My Class: "But you're like, OUR TEACHER.."
Mr Eldridge: "I know! and in time, my reading will be known as the 'David Eldridge reading' and everyone will be using it!
My Class: "Yeah, whatever...."

"And then you can get onto your horse, and prance around,"(this was actually his reference to me as some kind of circus girl- I had been away for a dance audition, and the day I came back, I got this...very confusing...)

"A-I-E-P-O-T-A-M-O-N-O! And that, my girls, is how you spell onomatopeia backwards! Oh look! Here's the principal! Show him how you can spell onomatopeia backwards!" (the incredibly intelligent things we learn here at HGHS)

Mr Eldridge: "I will be away for a few days, I am off to have surgery on my nose... and I will be marking your essays whilst I'm in hospital, when I'm on Morphine!"
Class: "YES! that means we'll all get high marks whilst you're high on morphine!"

And there is this beautiful, beautiful spiel about chain smoking that had my entire class laughing their heads off for a whole hour but due to not wishing the rest of the state to loose their faith and respect for Mr Eldridge, I will refrain from publishing it here... but it did happen, and it was REALLY funny!

Giant Lobster

HSC
u spelled onomatopoeia wrong both forwards and backwards :D

That eldrige dude sounds like a cool teacher... damnit, why does a schoolteacher have to invent a module! thats unfair, ur school shouldnt be doing RFTG cos then ud get like a huge advantage :mad: :( :p

HSC
N/A
Yeah well, I just can't spell... :D I'm sure he spelt it right though, even though he doesn't know what "a million is". HAHAHA!

I think that's why we do RFTG- on the other hand, many moments lost wishing "Man I wish I was doing Fairytales or something interesting like that..."

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
Only thing I can say is that person who invented RFTG probably don't like economics...anti-globlisation that is for old fashioned people who does not want to expose themself to the sun light :D

every nation for themself will only course more and more problem on a smaller scale anti-globlisation is like inter breeding u always get the worst result. Lucky i didn't do the topic or i prob will hate the crap out of it

Fido

Originally posted by Teleph
Only thing I can say is that person who invented RFTG probably don't like economics
its a killer, cos my teacher attacks us if we go on economicy or globalisationy threads, but i SWEAR the economic, globalisationy stuff and social are heavily interrelated, i mean, that like IS RFTG!
... isn't it?:(

__fruitcake__

HSC
Giant Lobster said:
u spelled onomatopoeia wrong both forwards and backwards :D

That eldrige dude sounds like a cool teacher... damnit, why does a schoolteacher have to invent a module! thats unfair, ur school shouldnt be doing RFTG cos then ud get like a huge advantage :mad: :( :p
you'd think so, wouldnt you? but the thing is, he spends so much of the time discussing baboons and his views on american/australian politics that we actually dont do much at all =S

bewitched05

Almost finished school!
HSC
it is basically the examination of the realtionship between the local and the global in a society. This relationship is not one of binary opposites. U r expected to know that the local can retreat from the global, challenge it, embrace it or find a compormise. For example, if u r doing "The Castle" the kerrigans find a compromise where capitalism is concerned. While they challenge it on global level ie the compulsory acquisition (Airlink is the product of free enterprise capitalism) while on a smaller scale (the Trading post), capitalism is embraced. As capitalism has been made available to them thru globalisation, they are essentially finding a compromise between global and local values.
hope that helps. :)

Kameleon

HSC
N/A
omfg, that chick is always on every forum for retreat from the global. you offer very brief advice and are extremely repetitive, even though you finished your HSC 4 years ago!

HSC
N/A
Crap, I've been giving the same kind of answer to the same kind of questions that have been repeatedly popping up over the last three years? Gah. I knew as the EE1 moderator I shouldn't have bothered to try and be helpful.

btw congrats on bumping a thread that was originally posted three years ago (incidentally, my HSC year).

Last edited:

Dave2007

HSC
Easy there grandma!

2004...thats like when i was in year 9! whoa!

But seriously, your ee1 help is appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)