• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I stuffed up in my exams. (1 Viewer)

amourpenelope

HSC
N/A
Guys, I stuffed up in my English exam.

Should I consider dropping to Standard English if I 'just' passed?

+ Will this affect my atar greatly :c

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
3 more quarters to go. You can do alot in the holidays too...

Skeptyks

HSC
Was your 'exam' a speech? What did you do wrong?
- If it was a speech, well don't worry too much about it since the HSC exam doesn't actually test you on speeches. It tests you on your ability to reproduce essays that you have perfected in class and then adapt it to the question (key terms etc) :]
- If it was a test, what did you actually do wrong? Many things could be worked on over the holidays as ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ have stated. If the test mirrored the 'AOS: Belonging' part of the HSC exams, perhaps you didn't re-edit your essay enough etc etc etc...

Also, I am guessing that the weighting was 15% so that if you just 'barely' passed, then I assume that is ~55%. That is 8.25%/15%. I think that in-school assessments account for 50% of the total mark in the end so that is 4.125%/7.5%. That means you have lost 3.375% out of a possible 100% from your end of year mark without all the scaling and aligning and whatever (I don't know anything about those things). I don't know if this is right but I assume that it won't impact TOO drastically on your ATAR unless you keep getting ~55% on all your assessments.

Sorry if any of this was wrong, I was just trying to give some of my own advice.

Last edited:

amourpenelope

HSC
N/A
No.
I had to answer questions and write an essay.
I had 10 minutes left for the essay.

HSC
N/A
It's okay, buddy.

If it makes you feel better: I wrote 4 pages for an essay. I didn't get through half the body.

heheheheh i'm screwed :haha:

Skeptyks

HSC
No.
I had to answer questions and write an essay.
I had 10 minutes left for the essay.
Oh I edited my response before, I guess I was too slow -.-
Since it is an essay + questions thing, I assume that the teacher gave you roughly 80 minutes? (Is this how much time you get for the Belonging section of the HSC?) As shadowdude said, that's just a time management issue and I guess you could improve on it by working on your ability to write conceptually...

BTW I'm just assuming that your teacher gave you 3 short answer questions with 3 stimuli and then a mini extended response to talk about two of them and how they explore notions of belonging...

Oh and also, according to some people, standard and advanced aren't too different (amount of workload) and if you didn't do too well in the Belonging area in the Advanced exam, then you wouldn't be doing too differently in the Belonging area in the Standard exam.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You are not going to do any better in Standard than you would in Advanced. Even though Standard is "easier", it is much harder to get top marks in the HSC than Advanced...by far. Obviously, if you are failing Advanced and drop to Standard, you might be top of your grade in it but you will still probably get Band 5 at best and considering you aren't all that strong, you might even end up with a lower Band than 5.

Skeptyks

HSC
You are not going to do any better in Standard than you would in Advanced. Even though Standard is "easier", it is much harder to get top marks in the HSC than Advanced...by far. Obviously, if you are failing Advanced and drop to Standard, you might be top of your grade in it but you will still probably get Band 5 at best and considering you aren't all that strong, you might even end up with a lower Band than 5.
+1, summing everything up much more easily in comparison to what I tried to do :p

reps2g

HSC
Dont worry, it doesnt matter if you "just passed". Your internal mark is moderated before they send it to the board of studies, meaning you just need to do good in comparison to your classmates.

Skeptyks

HSC
Dont worry, it doesnt matter if you "just passed". Your internal mark is moderated before they send it to the board of studies, meaning you just need to do good in comparison to your classmates.
I heard some people talking about this. Does it work like this: If you are 1st in a particular subject and you get 80% overall assessment, they will 'raise' it to like a 90%+ before they send it to the board of studies? If so, does this include 2nd and 3rd place? Thanks :]

enoilgam

HSC
I heard some people talking about this. Does it work like this: If you are 1st in a particular subject and you get 80% overall assessment, they will 'raise' it to like a 90%+ before they send it to the board of studies? If so, does this include 2nd and 3rd place? Thanks :]
Your internal mark is moderated based on the final exam marks of you and your cohort. So internal marks can only be moderated once the external marks have been finalised.

Skeptyks

HSC
Your internal mark is moderated based on the final exam marks of you and your cohort. So internal marks can only be moderated once the external marks have been finalised.
So after doing the actual HSC exam the internal marks gets moderated positively/negatively according to your ranking among your cohort?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
it does just sound like your time management is off so its not like you can't do the work, its just that you ran out of time which is an easy enough fix. stick with advanced, don't drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)