I want the hardest 2003 4unit paper (2 Viewers)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Newbie
whats the vB tags for that?
and the underscript thingys
*sup*abc*/sup* => NORMAL<sup>abc</sup>
*sub*abc*/sub* => NORMAL<sub>abc</sub>

use <> isntead of *

turtle_2468

HSC
Hmm... graph sketching? Yeah that's what slowed me down during actual 4U as well. Basically just get it down to an automatic thing and it shouldn't take TOO long..

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by turtle_2468
somewhere between 2:00 and 2:15 if I remember correctly...
omg, lol, that's sooo fast, I won't even finish.
So basically, 4u to you is like piss easy? :p

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
So turtle: have you given up on maths totally now?

Curve sketching: Usually what speeds me up slightly... (Maybe because the rest is a bit slow...)

turtle_2468

HSC
Hmm, 4U is a bit of a walk. But then, I don't want to sound arrogant, so I will admit that I always make a silly mistake somewhere... or else the markers try very hard to take one off me...

Fosweb: No I'm still doing maths! Overloading in uni isn't too much fun, but I'm squeezing a few maths courses into my timetable... it's also easier this year because I got permission to substitute some of them for general education..

Underthesun: I did a few practice papers, only HSC and back to around '97 I think. But then I've done a lot of maths before...

The key to speed, IMHO, is not having to work a problem out. What I mean is that, if you know exactly how to do a problem as soon as you see it (think easy mechanics), then you can focus on just writing down the solution as fast as your hand will allow as opposed to working it out.

eg most mechanics either involves vert/horiz components or radial/tangential. If you pick the right one, the results usually (not always, but anyway) just follow from the algebraic identities you get.
But this can also apply to say complex numbers, if you know that polar coordinates will work quickly... etc etc.
So the more q's you just "see" the soln to, the quicker you get.

IN SUMMARY: Remember that even if you could see exactly how to do all the questions in the exam, you still need 2 hours to write down all the solns properly. So practice writing fast... and accurately...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Oh i got it now. Experience!

I don't think there's enough time to level up to your level before the exam though, most I can do is to just tune up my ability into the right configuration for exam..

taking my level as 15, you're probably level 50 at the time of your exam.. hehe l33t bro :)

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
This is starting to sound like a RPG now. LoL!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by turtle_2468

Underthesun: I did a few practice papers, only HSC and back to around '97 I think. But then I've done a lot of maths before...
what sorta maths did u do and in what year.... i.e did u finish the 4u course in yr 10 for eg?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
You have time to get 100% then check the paper over twice?! Crazy...
it would 've been even more shocking if he actually left the exam room bfore the end (rem. u can leave bfore the last half hour).:D

Originally posted by ND
I'd like to do more than just that. ;) :D
oh yeah....u wanted to do 4u maths with her, didn't u. :p:D

btw, who is that anyway?

Last edited:

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
Considering that he made it into IMO by year 10...
LoL

Mill

HSC
I did the 4u paper in 2002 and I think I finished up to and including question 6 in 2 hours or 2:15. And was happy with that because it left 45-60 minutes to work out the last 2.

What Turtle says is right. You want to know as much of it automatically as possible. I could sort of rush through the majority of the first six questions of any paper. It's the sevens and eights I have to think about.

turtle_2468

HSC
4U in year 9, did other stuff after that...
but it still didn't stop stupid markers from taking a mark from me.. :)
Moral of the story: stupid mistakes count.
Edit: I'll reemphasise what Mills said... automation = speed = more time to do more questions

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
A maths professor in the making, or already made :)

Automation works if you know the question and how to work it out, but what if you don't? Blind automation? Only works 50% of the time..

Affinity

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
A maths professor in the making, or already made :)
wait till you see the stew...

Turtle, do you know where is stew now? I didn't check the club messages for a while

turtle_2468

HSC
ND: I did IMO stuff after year 9... so that took until this year, and then uni stuff took over.

Underthesun: Probably not a maths professor. :) Regarding automation: Yeah, depends on how well you know the stuff. Blind automation has a point sometimes, it's sort of like "start with the procedures you know will probably be part of it", and when you finish that step and get an eq out of it, take a breather, and look at how far that thing is from the result you require... repeat as needed. Usually this should happen at most once or twice in the thing, so when you take the breather and look at it the "right" way then you'll see how to manipulate it to the right answer.

Yeah, there's the secret society, with weird customs and everything... :p

Affinity: He's in uni.. see pm

schooly

argg took me a good 30min or so to sit here reading this whole post from beginning. why it took me 30min? because of all the suprises and shocks. HOW THE HELL CAN SOMEONE GET 100% in the exam? thats some mathematician alright..............
by the way so i am not lost, saying 120/120, does that mean in the actual exam he got every question right with not one error? or did he/she get top mark in state so counts as 100%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)