I was overpaid, what should I do? (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i dunno, personally i would generally keep money although thats quite a bit. it's not like they overpaid you by $50 or something

mishka

HSC
N/A
think of what would happen if they found out that you were overpaid. imagine what they'd think of you if you hadn't told them.

i'd tell them, because, like you, i have a nagging guilt trip every time something like this happens to me :D

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
As I said earlier, I told them already. Felt good too because they thanked me for being so honest, and they would've found out sooner or later anyway when they did the budget that something wasn't right, however I'm not sure whether they would have picked my timesheet mistake up or not. Oh well it's all good now

Danoz The Great

HSC
I once used the wrong clock in number for a week I worked like 20 hours. (It was my first week too.) I never got paid and I didn't know what was going on, so I told the cash office lady what number I was using, and it turned out it was paying her!!! She "didn't even know" she said, haha MY ASS YOU DIDN'T it had been like 4 days since payday, as if you wouldn't notice....

...the moral of this story is to:
1) never trust no-one, even if it's the cash office lady
and
2) don't be stupid.

sladehk

le random
HSC
Now that they trust you, can you eye a promotion/good letter of reference?

hatty

Banned
i woulda kept it
and if they found out, i woulda said its their fault for making such a stupid mistake and so im keeping the money to teach em a lesson.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
now they trust you, they will like you more and you'll probably get more shifts than if you'd been dishonest and they worked out you kept the money. it pays to be honest. ;)

dani_danoz said:
I once used the wrong clock in number for a week I worked like 20 hours. (It was my first week too.) I never got paid and I didn't know what was going on, so I told the cash office lady what number I was using, and it turned out it was paying her!!! She "didn't even know" she said, haha MY ASS YOU DIDN'T it had been like 4 days since payday, as if you wouldn't notice....

...the moral of this story is to:
1) never trust no-one, even if it's the cash office lady
and
2) don't be stupid.
hahahahaha

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
need a law student here:

isnt keeping the money technically stealing (like if the bank accidentally puts $$$ in ur account it's illegal 2 spend it ???) or is that an american thing.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I think so. But in my circumstance (a few posts earlier) she claimed that she didn't know it was happening, and everyone at work loves her, so they probably believed her.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
This happend to my mum. They paid her like $20 a week more than she was meant to, and not being interested so much in her pay as long as it wasn't $100 off, she didn't notice. 6 months later they wrote to her demanding the money back, giving her the option to pay it all back right now, have it deducted from her future pay, or to send them a letter with a payment plan (ie pay back manually every fortnight, whatever).

Bottom line, it's not your money. Look on the bright side: you'll get good karma for telling them! :D

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
give it back
what goes around comes around
even tho it was their mistake
ir could happen to you
imagibe if u accidently gave someone like 300 bux more then u should have
wouldnt u appreciate it if they gave it back?
its not ur money..u didnt work for it..
oh wellz...

happened to me
was supposed to be paid 7 bux an hour..they started paying me 10..and 15..i told em they fixed it...

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
soha said:
happened to me
was supposed to be paid 7 bux an hour..they started paying me 10..and 15..i told em they fixed it...
Why would you tell them about being paid 10 bucks an hour? they were ripping you off in the first place only paying u 7..

12-51

Custom User Title
HSC
I've been overpaid before as well. I just took the payslip back and showed them and it was deducted from my next pay.

Jonathan A

HSC
noneother said:
Should've kept the dough...sigh

No but if that money is invested, it means it has more potential now than say if she recieved it a week or two from now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)