I would like some opinions on my choice for a related text. (1 Viewer)

Theotius

HSC
Oops, sorry!
My prescribed text is The Fiftieth Gate by Mark Baker.

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're interested in anterograde amnesia, a FANTASTIC related text would be The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. This is a collection of short non-fiction 'stories' written by psychologist Sacks. The short stories The Lost Mariner and A Matter of Identity are about people who suffer that type of amnesia. These are non-fiction stories, but Sacks has written them to be like a 'story' and that's interesting in itself as it is borders on essentially "creative non-fiction". They examine the interplay between history/memory - the importance of both to the individual (just as h/m is critical to Baker's sense of self), and the text itself can be examined as a 'biased' piece of history, in the sense that Sacks is writing a clinical file in a completely personal/emotive way.

Also, because they are short stories, it'll be a quick read and analysis for you. You can read a wiki summary of the text here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I have been thinking of using 1984, this will be my fall-back text if I can't find a better one.
I also recently stumbled upon this: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/25tvye/iama_24_year_old_man_living_with_anterograde/

Which, though not in normal form, provided an extremely interesting view on the relationship of History and Memory.
Thoughts would be appriciated!
I'm not sure that would work. I would look at documentaries for a good related text for Mod C. There's plenty of great ones out there that portray conflicting perspectives. If you need a place to start, Michael Moore produces some interesting ones :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure that would work. I would look at documentaries for a good related text for Mod C. There's plenty of great ones out there that portray conflicting perspectives. If you need a place to start, Michael Moore produces some interesting ones :)
I recommend Capitalism: A Love Story by him :)

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
The suggestion from _blank made think of The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time, which is about how an autistic boy relates to facts and memories as he goes about trying to solve the murder of his neighbour's dog. Works not just from the perspective of history and memory (the protagonist has trouble discerning between "facts and truths" for example, and also cannot forget ANYTHING), but also from the representative angle because the author writes the boy in first-person and she is very good at doing so. But how do you represent autism as one who doesn't have it? Is it possible to capture a clinical condition in words? And so on.

I personally caution against non-fiction works in this unit unless there is some clear bias or angling going on - simply because everyone chooses this angle. You want to stand out, pick a fictive work which plays with these themes in a more nuanced way. Just my $0.02

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting! I've never thought of Haddon's The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time in that way before. However, note that it is currently a Standard English Mod B prescribed text and the school/teacher may have a rule against using syllabus texts as related material.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Late to the party, but I reckon you could get away with the reddit AMA if you framed it as an interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)