Ian Thorpe & Craig Stevens (1 Viewer)

Is it right that Stevens gave up his spot for Thorpe?

• No. Stevens earned his spot fair and square

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Yes. Thorpe's the world champion. He gets immunity

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
The selection trials are a joke if the world and olympic champion, and the current world record holder doesn't represent Australia. Seriously.

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by George W. Bush
The selection trials are a joke if the world and olympic champion, and the current world record holder doesn't represent Australia. Seriously.
KIND OF LIKE AN ELECTION WHERE A PERSON CAN GET LESS VOTES AND WIN

THAT'S JUST ALL KINDS OF STUPID AHAHAAH ...OH WAIT

jesshika

supreme being
hmmmyeah it is unfair for craigh to give up his place in the 400m freestyle for the sake of australia having a better chance of winning gold with thorpe and hackett...

why was he even questioned to step down in the first place ?? ..

Originally posted by teh winnar!
KIND OF LIKE AN ELECTION WHERE A PERSON CAN GET LESS VOTES AND WIN

THAT'S JUST ALL KINDS OF STUPID AHAHAAH ...OH WAIT
There are varying levels of 'goodness' in an analogy. That was towards the lower end of the scale.

G

Gavvvvvin

Stevens earned his spot fair and square. Fuck Thorpe. Anyone who unfairly takes the place of someone else isnt much of a sportsmen in my opinion.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I don't think he should have stepped down, but Stevens was in a lose-lose situation and he did what he thought was best.

For a fair amount as well.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
i dont even think there should've been pressure on stevens, the pressure should've been on the AOC or IOC to give thorpe a widcard entry

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Stevens had 2 much pressure upon him...he should have atleast one chance to compete...but the better always prevail!

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
if thorpe didnt swim, would the winner of the Gold in the 400m be able to consider himself the best in the world though?

stevens never had a choice..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i'm undecided, he false started, so he shouldn't be there, but then again stevens is 3rd best, so he shouldn't be there either

my conclusion: they should change the false start rule
Originally posted by Nick
if thorpe didnt swim, would the winner of the Gold in the 400m be able to consider himself the best in the world though?
probably not, but in a sense yes, since he won the olympics.
Originally posted by Suney_J
i dont even think there should've been pressure on stevens, the pressure should've been on the AOC or IOC to give thorpe a widcard entry
but that's unfair as well, because if it were any other swimmer they wouldn't care. but it's better than the pressure on another swimmer who earned his spot though

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
if thorpe falls in again at the olympics i will be so damn pissed off. Stevens should never have been put in that position though, the officials who decided thorpe was disqualified need to take some responsibility as well

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Well, Stevens was under the pressure he shouldn't have been under. If he hadn't won, he was going to be persecuted by the public. But still he shouldn't have stepped down. You never know, he might have won it.
Now Thorpe is under even more pressure to win, pressure that he shouldn't have. There is no guarantee he will win, he's lost before.
The real people at fault are the fools at the AOC, who created this idiotic rule and won't change it. Most sports allow for three mistakes. It is not an IOC rule, but a domestic rule, and therefore could be changed to prevent further incidences like this.

G

Gavvvvvin

Originally posted by super katie
if thorpe falls in again at the olympics i will be so damn pissed off. Stevens should never have been put in that position though, the officials who decided thorpe was disqualified need to take some responsibility as well
The officials need to take responsibility for what? Enforcing the rules?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
stevens said that there would be alot of shit thrown at him if he fails at the olympics though and he wanted to avoid all that. if thorpe falls in again, i will be :rofl:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i would of thought that if stevens withdrawls the third qualifier would go in his stead.
you shouldnt be able to have a say in who takes your spot.

i cant believe we're cheating just to get gold, we might as well take drugs

rumour

HSC
give craig a chance!!!!!!!!!!!
all those uncle toby's ad's has gone the Thorpe's head, he should have just said " No, i won't do it! Back off Australia! I fucking fell off! o.k.!!!!!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)