ich liebe deutsch zu lernen! (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
we have a case system today in english? see were never actually taught that - i guess germans arent taught it either

in 50 years well all b tlkng lke ths

u knw? stpd txt tlk!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Charity F said:
I was wondering... what has been/is the best method to learn/memorise/expand your vocabulary/idioms for German?

I watch the news, listen to music/magazine cds, read articles...

Is it just the good old "Look, cover, write, check" business for languages or is there a better way?
I use the most basic vocabulary (like the elementary school one). I basically memorise all the words. That's the way I got started in English as well. It helps because all the basic words are necessary for general use. :D

Peartie

HSC
I used to write in German on one side and English on the other

then read the german/english and see if i know it...flip it over...i know it tick in pencil if i dont cross in oencil

in the end you should have lots of ticks

doing it 10 mins a day helps a hell of a lot

also what our uni lecturer gets us to do is ahave a LITTLE notebook, one we can put in our pocket then on bus/train trips just pull it out and do it on them with vocab in it....it works......

and immersion...kinda hard in australia...but immersion helps IMMENSLY.....

X

xeuyrawp

Peartie said:
we have a case system today in english?
Yes..? Only with the pronouns though, and there's only an accusative/nominative difference.

I punched him.
He punched her.
She punched me.

+ Plurals.

see were never actually taught that
People with cases in their language find it quite natural, I think, and enjoy having it.

- i guess germans arent taught it either
I think they are, because even the most uninformed native German speaker will know Akkusativ vs Dativ, etc.

German speaking countries also have a much better educational system in that formal grammar is part of the curricular. Apparently a reasonably popular Gymnasium/Arbitur subject across all states is actually Grammar, which usually has a core component (German grammar) as well as electives from other languages (French, English, Classical languages), or things like Discourse Analysis, Functional Grammar, etc. Lots of ending schools will encourage students to take other languages, and I suppose it's handy to use German grammar as a basis - pretty much every grammatical issue across the main European languages can be expressed using German equivalents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peartie

HSC
actually...ask alot of germans questions we think theyll know about grammar and they will know it but not actually be able to tell u abt it....like english people

from memory they arent taught when to use accusative, dative etc unless theyre actually going to be teaching it - they "just know"

Borbor

HSC
Servus!

Ich habe Deutsch fur drei Jahre gelernt aber mein Deutsch ist wirklich schrecklich. :(. Dieses Jahr hat meine Schule keine Deutschklasse denn wir haben nicht genung Leute! Deshalb muss ich jetzt Deutsch lernen durch OHS ==. Ich finde es sehr schwerig, besonderes wann habe ich Fragen. Ausserdem, es ist manchmal sehr einsam.

Letztes Term habe ich meine Klassenkameraden kennengelernt. Sie waren fast alle Deutsche! (Ich bin Chinesisch) Ihre Deutsch war so viel besser als mein :(.

Haha, there was my attempt at trying to speak German. I'm thinking of dropping it after prelims if I don't so so well (doesn't mean I won't try).

Feel free to correct my horrible German :p. Sorry for no umlauts and s set, it's so annoying to type those on the computer.

X

xeuyrawp

Borbor said:
Feel free to correct my horrible German :p. Sorry for no umlauts and s set, it's so annoying to type those on the computer.
It's really not that bad, just needs some tweaking.

If you don't put umlauts in, put an e after the letter - Schüle > Schuele. That's absolutely fine to do in absence of the correct letters.

If anyone here wants a tutor, PM me. She's really fantastic and is centred around the City.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueGiraffe

HSC
Ich weiss dass, wir Deutsch sprechen sollen, aber do you guys to Beginners, continuers or ext?
I do beginners und morgen, habe ich meine deutsche Prüfung!

Last edited:

impervious182

HSC
BlueGiraffe said:
Ich weiss dass, wir Deutsch sprechen sollen, aber do you guys to Beginners, continuers or ext?
I do beginners und morgen, habe ich meine deutsche Prüfung!
Viel Glueck dafuer! Hoffentlich wirst du sehr gute Noten bekommen. Mitte dieses Monat habe ich auch meine deutsche Pruefung und dafuer habe ich viel Stress.

Ich fand die muendliche Pruefung ziemlich gut, und hoffe, dass ich gut abgeschnitten habe. Im Ganzen aber, ob ich ein gutes HSC bekommen werde, haengt ganz allein von diesen naechsten Pruefungen! Ich wuensche ihr viel Glueck, aber ich spare natuerlich einen kleinen Teil fuer mich! :)

Wie studiert ihr fuer den HSC (euren Abitur)?

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Haha... but that's not what I said, at least not in the context of the thread. When I said 'subject', I meant an actual school subject, a course.

I'll explain.

My German teacher, informed me, that to 'love' an inanimate object is ridiculous.

The verb 'lieben' does not have the same connotations as 'love' does in English.

E.g. 'I love chocolate', would probably be best translated as 'ich esse gern Schockolade', because 'ich liebe Schockolade' means that you very very strongly like something.

After all even in English 'love' when talking about chocolate, does not mean the same thing as 'love' when talking about family.

EDIT:

Argh... I just remembered my above promise to only write in German from now on in.

It's just an English idiom, as the word 'love' is used as a hyperbole in this instance.

That's true what your teacher said, but I spent a year in Germany last year and found out that people do actually say they 'love' things like chocolates or whatever even though it's not actually correct, it depends on the personality of the person and also what dialect they are speaking.

btw everyone I saw a few of you were writing 'Sie', you are all students so should be writing 'Du'.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
That's true what your teacher said, but I spent a year in Germany last year and found out that people do actually say they 'love' things like chocolates or whatever even though it's not actually correct, it depends on the personality of the person and also what dialect they are speaking.

btw everyone I saw a few of you were writing 'Sie', you are all students so should be writing 'Du'.
It depends if you want to be extremely formal. If you are new to the forum and are being polite, 'Sie' would be completely appropriate. I'm sure those who speak fluent German here would not mind either.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
It depends if you want to be extremely formal. If you are new to the forum and are being polite, 'Sie' would be completely appropriate. I'm sure those who speak fluent German here would not mind either.
I used to think like that too, but since I've been in Germany I realised that the way you are taught to use Sie and Du in school is not at all how you use it in Germany.

Because everyone here is most likely a student, then it's Du straight away regardless if you're new to the website, and if this was a German website with a bunch of German users, they would think you are making a joke by saying Sie. Also usually on the internet you 'dutz' everyone regardless.

greeng

HSC
Hey

Ich bin in der zwolften Klasse, ich lerne meine Deutsch mit Distanc Education. Es ist echt schiesse weil ich nur viele Blatter mit aktivitaten bekommen und es macht gar kein spass. Ich habe einen Austausch fur drei Monate gemacht, dass hat jede Menge spass gemacht, ich empfehle jede Student einen Austauschprogramm zu machen, wenn Sie das gelegenheit (opportunity?) haben.

Wenn Sie etwas anders mit Deutsch zu lernen mochten, sie sollen Deutsche Musik horen. Rammstein, Falco und Falco sind ein paar Deutsche Sanger. Viele Filme kommt auch mit Deustche 'sub' titeln

Viel Spass!

X

xeuyrawp

Because everyone here is most likely a student, then it's Du straight away regardless if you're new to the website, and if this was a German website with a bunch of German users, they would think you are making a joke by saying Sie.
I think that's half-correct. In this context, you'd definitely use the Du-form. If this were a German forum, and you used the Sie-form, people would just assume you're foreign or silly.

In my opinion, the important thing is not to think about age or anything of the other speaker, but context.

Take for example what you said about students. If I spoke with you now on the forum, I'd use the Du-form. However, if I came into a store and you were working behind the counter (and we didn't know each other), we'd probably speak in the Sie-form.

So I think we could say that the usage of the Du-/Sie-form is context-specific, particularly location of the speakers. On the casual end of the scale is a context like being in a club - you'd obviously use Du there with other people. The other end of the scale is difference of status, someone serving someone, someone being older, someone being a professional, etc. Age is just a common difference in status, but not the only one.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
I think that's half-correct. In this context, you'd definitely use the Du-form. If this were a German forum, and you used the Sie-form, people would just assume you're foreign or silly.

In my opinion, the important thing is not to think about age or anything of the other speaker, but context.

Take for example what you said about students. If I spoke with you now on the forum, I'd use the Du-form. However, if I came into a store and you were working behind the counter (and we didn't know each other), we'd probably speak in the Sie-form.

So I think we could say that the usage of the Du-/Sie-form is context-specific, particularly location of the speakers. On the casual end of the scale is a context like being in a club - you'd obviously use Du there with other people. The other end of the scale is difference of status, someone serving someone, someone being older, someone being a professional, etc. Age is just a common difference in status, but not the only one.
Yeh you're right,
on this website it's 100% a 'du' situation, but then if I needed to ask you a question on the street and you were older than ~ 18 then I might say 'Sie'

I noticed that was one of the hardest things to know, when to use du or sie, but it really depends on the situation, and sometimes there's no right or wrong answer, if someone is about your age and you're in your teens/20s you could say du or sie and both would be ok.

sheizaminelli

HSC
Gibt es Jemand, der mit mir sprechen will, sich fuer unsere 'continuers' muendliche pruefung zu ueben???

like msn :)

Let me know y'all :p

lucyc19

HSC
Man, some of you guys are doing HSC this year and SERIOUSLY need to work on verb conjugations and adjectival endings :D

And on the du/sie thing, we're just slack (and friendly) here in Oz ... in Deutshland nennt man einem Schueler in der Oberstufe IMMER Sie, aber wir nennen uns ,du.'

ani-b

HSC
Hallo!
Ich bin auch in der 12. Klasse dieses Jahr und lerne auch Deutsch (wie man sieht.)

Man kann "in meiner Meinung" sagen, das sagt man auch in Deutschland. "Meiner Meinung nach" hoert sich aber besser an, den es ist mehr korrekt.

Und das mit dem "du" oder "Sie".... Man koennte beides sagen, aber als Schueler/in ist es viel hoeflicher "Sie" zu sagen, besonders weil man in einer Pruefung sehr viel juenger ist, und man die Lehrerin nicht persoenlich kennt. Deutsche benutzten die "du"-form eigentlich nur wenn sie die person persoenlich kennen, oder zu einem Kind. Deshalb ist es besser "Sie" zu sagen - ich wette das holt dir eine bessere Note!

Wenn jemand in Deutsch hilfe braucht...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)