Ideas Required Please! (Engineers, Hobbyists alike)!!! (1 Viewer)

Technoash

HSC
If you're going with the handcrank thing then you also might want to look into a bridge rectifier and a small value capacitor. The bridge rectifier you can make out of 4 diodes. It will allow you to spin the motor clockwise AND anti clockwise while still lighting the LED up. The capacitor will help keep the LED on. This is useful because the motor won't produce continuous power.

This stuff isn't necessary for your display. Get the thing working first and then you can do this to make it a bit more usable.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ok so you want to make a hand crank generator hmm.

Pretty damn hard to make a proper one that will work, but get a few circular magnets, mount them on a plastic piping, mount that onto a turning wheel and have a stick of wiring in the middle between the magnets.

Also what are you going to do about your battery idea? If you want you can show how diodes work. Diodes can stop current if there is less than 0.6 V going through them in the correct bias. If you have more than 0.7 V you will get a consistent flow of current. If you put then in reverse bias, you can blow them up or have a reverse breakdown (Zener diodes only for reverse breakdown).

To show if the diode is on or off, you can use an LED at the end to show stuff.

Also what you can do is, make a galvanometer using the motor effect, and base the scale of the galvanometer on the point where the diode starts allowing current through to show that you qualitatively obtained results using another piece of equipment that wasn't a multimeter to measure stuff.

There's a lot you can do really. Just pick something. Also, I'm not researching anything. This is just my ideas coming to me at random. I'm an engineer remember. I'm supposed to be creative :p

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I would like to thank everyone for their ideas and especially anomalousdecay who thought really well about the design of the project, thank you very much again.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Let us know of your progress :) Would be good to see how everything turned out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)