if english wasn't compulsory (1 Viewer)

andybandy

HSC
How many people do you think would be doing the course? (sorry if in wrong forum)

YouKnowWho

HSC
Probably a fair amount. Generally those who do well in mathematics and sciences are horrible in English and those who do well in history, geography, art are better in English. So I'm guessing it would be equally balanced.

Ben W95

HSC
Only if it was necessary to complete for particular University courses.
If I didn't need it, no. I would have picked up something easy like Senior Science instead.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Probably a fair amount. Generally those who do well in mathematics and sciences are horrible in English and those who do well in history, geography, art are better in English. So I'm guessing it would be equally balanced.
lol that is not rly a correct generalisation

Reactions: D94

D94

HSC
N/A
That's a poor generalisation. So where do you categorise those who do Std English and Gen Maths? Or those who do 4U English and 4U Maths? Or those who mix humanities, science and maths? There's heaps of students who do those combinations, and do well on the whole, so it may be what you have observed, but it's definitely not accurate of the state.

I probably would not have done English, but I sure would have kept my 4 units of humanities courses.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably a similar amount of people which do Extension 1 English.

kpopism

HSC
as much as i love reading and writing
english wouldnt be one of my subjects
i would pick drama instead. sigh.

Ben W95

HSC
On a side note, one of my friends that does Advanced + Extension English is in the top 3 (changes every assessment) for Gen. maths. Seeking a 92+ ATAR for Veterinary Science or something.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I reckon maybe a third of the advanced students would take it, and very little from standard. I know I wouldn't take it.

Spontaneous_Me

HSC
A maximum of at least 12 people would take it. Almost everyone at my school hates it with a passion.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I know a lot of my friends would drop it instantly, but I think there would be a substantial amount of people who would still do it :p

I would've done another language or economics instead of English :( what a waste of 3 units

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if planning to go into uni, most students would do it because of the essay writing skills you need, moreover lawyers will be picking the 4unit english :p. only people that wouldn't are probably those with math related courses.

Hila

HSC
I think most of the advanced students will and of course the 3u and 4u students. I know I deffs will but that being said English is by far my favourite subject. I doubt any of the standard kids would do it because all of the people who do standard that I personally know would want to drop English altogether but there might be a couple of kids who would take it anyway from standard.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Considering the scaling of subjects is based on English results, and MX1/MX2/physics/chemistry are the best in scaling, I'd say this definitely isn't true.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I think most of the advanced students will
I think you'll find that a high majority of advanced students are doing advanced for the sake of their ATAR, and would drop english straight away if given the chance. I reckon it would be the 3/4U kids + a couple from advanced who have an interest in the arts.

Web Addict

HSC
The Board of Studies will always be cruel and keep English compulsory. They should at least not make it count to your ATAR.

If I got a chance to drop English, I would definitely drop it and so would heaps of other people. I think only the students doing English Extension would pick English willingly. All you learn is how to memorise essays, which isn't a very useful skill.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)