If I don't get into Pharmacy here next year... (1 Viewer)

gcmk

HSC
sparklstsista said:
dude, who cares what ppl have to say
do wat u want!!!
and once u get into pharmacy u can always transfer into medicine or something else (thats if u do well at pharmacy).

i hate wen ppl say shit nall
lol sorry, i jus wanted to hear what others think..
im trying to choose between advanced science or pharmacy, so yeh.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
@ Deltan: But what if I want to transfer between uni's? I'm just scared that if I can't maintain those Distinctions that I'll be stuck doing a partially useless course. If I start @ CSU, I'll be able to at least have BPharm degree instead of something like Med Sci. So, is it just as easy to tranfer in between unis?

Here's something that you might find useful

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/53153/getting-into-pharmacy.html

The good thing about pharm is that they dont consider ur UAI, just only ur academic record for uni

http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/careers/mkt/2008_Pharmacy.pdf

'Transferring into Pharmacy from other courses
= There is a limited number of places for non-recent school leavers (15 to
20% of total places). Admission is HIGHLY competitive.
= Students must have superior performance in at least one full year of tertiary
study. In 2007, a Distinction Average was required.
= Students must have completed the STAT, and achieved the required mark.
= Chemistry, maths and biology background is ideal but not essential
Credit transfer is only available at enrolment after you gain a place in
Pharmacy.'

Why not do a master's degree which takes up only 2 yrs

danz90

HSC
gcmk said:
hey sorry to go off topic, but im having doubts for pharmacy..
people are saying don't do it because of future job prospects !? what do you guys think?
Pharmacists - Job Outlook

I think that Pharmacists will always be in need... and there are PLENTY of areas to go within the Pharmaceutical Field. If you're not happy with the pay, working style of community pharmacies, then you can try and work in Drug Research/Development and in big companies etc.
That's what I most like about Pharmacy, that it's so versatile, you can move to plenty of different areas within the industry (community, hospital, industrial/commercial, research/development, clinical studies, sales/managerial/exec roles etc.)

Don't get swayed by anyone who gives u a bad opinion of Pharmacy as a job.. just because they're not happy with they're current job and pay.. doesn't mean you'll be unhappy too ;)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
sparklstsista said:
sle3pe3bumz:::
we both float in the same boat. lol. in terms of uai and the course we wanna do
lol
yeah i think u shudnt do any science course to transfer to USYD.
do it charlse (if u can) and then try transfering into USYD coz thats wat i plan on doing too ;)
so is pharmacy (at CSU) ure first preference.
and hey let me know if u get in k?

im gunna friggen cry a river if i dont get in there aye LOL
coz i dont wanna spend an year doing something i wont even enjoy.

BPharm @ USYD is my first preference. CSU is my second. And sure, I'll let you know. :)

But I totally understand. I want to get into this so badly too and I've just stressed so much about it. Eh.

Deltan said:
Here's something that you might find useful

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/53153/getting-into-pharmacy.html

The good thing about pharm is that they dont consider ur UAI, just only ur academic record for uni

http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/careers/mkt/2008_Pharmacy.pdf

'Transferring into Pharmacy from other courses
= There is a limited number of places for non-recent school leavers (15 to
20% of total places). Admission is HIGHLY competitive.
= Students must have superior performance in at least one full year of tertiary
study. In 2007, a Distinction Average was required.
= Students must have completed the STAT, and achieved the required mark.
= Chemistry, maths and biology background is ideal but not essential
Credit transfer is only available at enrolment after you gain a place in
Pharmacy.'

Why not do a master's degree which takes up only 2 yrs
Funnily enough, that's probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read that thread but it seems to make more sense now. LOL

So to clarify some things, whether you're transferring from within USYD or from another uni into pharmacy, everybody has an equal chance of entering that course? Thus, it is not harder to transfer from CSU to USYD than from inside USYD itself (internally)?

So, to conclude, I'm better off studing BPharm in CSU and then trying to transfer into BPharm @ USYD than rather studying some science degree within USYD and transferring from then on? In the end, I really want that Pharmacy degree so is this the wisest move I can make?

lol sorry for the long-winded reply and stuff. I've just heard some really contradicting crap and it's confusing me a bit.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
So to clarify some things, whether you're transferring from within USYD or from another uni into pharmacy, everybody has an equal chance of entering that course? Thus, it is not harder to transfer from CSU to USYD than from inside USYD itself (internally)?

So, to conclude, I'm better off studing BPharm in CSU and then trying to transfer into BPharm @ USYD than rather studying some science degree within USYD and transferring from then on? In the end, I really want that Pharmacy degree so is this the wisest move I can make?

lol sorry for the long-winded reply and stuff. I've just heard some really contradicting crap and it's confusing me a bit.
If you think you can maintain a distinction average at CSU, then yes you can transfer, but getting the marks will be difficult. I dont think they take in favouritism so that's a bit of a risk, but at least you got a back up.
Pharmacy has a greater prospect in rural areas as there are less competition, so u mite consider on that.
Otherwise if your dead set for pharm at usyd, do a science degree at usyd, work hard for distinction average.

sle3pe3bumz, what are your reasons for studying pharm?

Tsyei

HSC
gcmk said:
lol sorry, i jus wanted to hear what others think..
im trying to choose between advanced science or pharmacy, so yeh.
Hahaha, same here. I've got my teachers saying I should do Advanced Science, and my family telling me I should do Pharmacy. Think I might go with Pharmacy though; good luck deciding :) As for job prospects, my brother reminded me of our aging population...oO

By the way, does anyone know if there's any way I can check if UAC received my notification that I've sat the STAT test? I found it a bit strange that we have to notify them considering they send us our results, but my mother said I should anyway :/ My UAC application still says I haven't sat it, but apparently that's normal? Oo

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Deltan said:
If you think you can maintain a distinction average at CSU, then yes you can transfer, but getting the marks will be difficult. I dont think they take in favouritism so that's a bit of a risk, but at least you got a back up.
Pharmacy has a greater prospect in rural areas as there are less competition, so u mite consider on that.
Otherwise if your dead set for pharm at usyd, do a science degree at usyd, work hard for distinction average.

sle3pe3bumz, what are your reasons for studying pharm?
Hm, wait are you saying it MAY be harder doing Pharmacy @ CSU and transferring from there on? Sorry :) Your answer just seems a bit vague.

I guess right now, doing Pharmacy @ Usyd would be the best thing in the world for me to hear. But if I can't, then I guess I'll do pharmacy @ CSU and see where I go from there.

Well I don't have very solid reasons for studying Pharmacy. I personally don't think anybody really has much of an idea at this time. But I do love chemistry with a passion. I also plan on owning my own business one day and it also seems like a financially smart move. It'd also bring in a lot of different people for me to meet which would also be a bonus. :)

danz90

HSC
flamesage said:
arr.. CSU is probabli a bad choice, u can perhaps transfer from medical sciences.

i think i am definitely going to pharm @ USYD next year.. i got the scholarship for it already...

anyone else going?
I'm definitely going, unless UAI Cut-off goes above 98.20.

Congratulations on getting the scholarship! :D Did you get merit or entry? And when did you receieve the letter?

I applied in the Faculty of Pharmacy and got shortlisted... but still haven't gotten anything back.. at the moment I'm really disappointed and reckon I'm not getting one :( :( :( But still not losing hope, until I get a rejection letter.

danz90

HSC
Getting a scholarship is kinda like "Welcome to BPharm @ USyd".

I really really hope I get one...
Apparently there's a ceremony you're supposed to attend in May if you are awarded a scholarship.

danz90

HSC
Hopefully :)
We should organise a meet of BOS-ers doing BPharm @ USyd during O-week, so we can get to know each other and not nigelated during first lectures etc. LOL

Yeah, Premier's Awards are sent along with your Higher School Certificate credentials, which are scheduled to arrive on 13th January 09. :)

If I don't get a letter from the faculty tomorrow, do you reckon I should just give up hope for a scholarship?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Hm, wait are you saying it MAY be harder doing Pharmacy @ CSU and transferring from there on? Sorry :) Your answer just seems a bit vague.

I guess right now, doing Pharmacy @ Usyd would be the best thing in the world for me to hear. But if I can't, then I guess I'll do pharmacy @ CSU and see where I go from there.

Well I don't have very solid reasons for studying Pharmacy. I personally don't think anybody really has much of an idea at this time. But I do love chemistry with a passion. I also plan on owning my own business one day and it also seems like a financially smart move. It'd also bring in a lot of different people for me to meet which would also be a bonus. :)
A pharmacy degree isnt so easy at any uni, the requirement for usyd entry requires a distinction average.
Choose a course which u think u can maintain that mark, i would personally choose some science degree or medical science since you like science. =)

danz90

HSC
Deltan said:
A pharmacy degree isnt so easy at any uni, the requirement for usyd entry requires a distinction average.
Choose a course which u think u can maintain that mark, i would personally choose some science degree or medical science since you like science. =)
Heyy
Did you put Pharmacy as ur 1st pref?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
danz90 said:
Heyy
Did you put Pharmacy as ur 1st pref?
Yeah, though i'm not so sure whether i wanna go through chemistry or biology again.
Its gonna be harder for me to make a decision if i make the cut-off for pharm next yr =(

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
Deltan said:
Yeah, though i'm not so sure whether i wanna go through chemistry or biology again.
Its gonna be harder for me to make a decision if i make the cut-off for pharm next yr =(
What UAI did u get? I wanna do pharmacy too but I got a low UAI lol

nchoy

HSC
kristydolphins said:

Good luck to you, kristy! I am in the same situation as you.
Did u do well in STAT?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
kristydolphins said:
i got close to around the 94-95 mark.
there's always CSU but everyone's hopin for usyd entry lol

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
nchoy said:
Did u do well in STAT?
It doesnt matter what your STAT score is, as long as you pass the 150/200, ur all good =)

only UAI is the hurdle for now

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
nchoy said:
Did u do well in STAT?
thanks, i hope u get in too!!! My stat score was 163, so not bad. What bout u?

nchoy

HSC
kristydolphins said:
thanks, i hope u get in too!!! My stat score was 163, so not bad. What bout u?
I got lucky & got 176. But as Deltan said that does not really matter as long as it is over 150. right?

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
Deltan said:
i got close to around the 94-95 mark.
there's always CSU but everyone's hopin for usyd entry lol
yea, i have already got an offer for Bpharm @ CSU but i really wanna go 2 sydney lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)