If I don't get into Pharmacy here next year... (1 Viewer)

nchoy

HSC
kristydolphins said:
yea, i have already got an offer for Bpharm @ CSU but i really wanna go 2 sydney lol
How did u manage to get an offer from CSU already?

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
nchoy said:
I got lucky & got 176. But as Deltan said that does not really matter as long as it is over 150. right?
yea, as long as it is over 150 it doesnt matter. what was ur uai like?

nchoy

HSC
kristydolphins said:
I applied through an early entry scheme called prep. I got the offer on 5th december
Lucky girl!
So what are you going to do if u cant get into Usyd? U definetely going to CSU?

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
nchoy said:
Lucky girl!
So what are you going to do if u cant get into Usyd? U definetely going to CSU?
If i cant get into usyd for pharmacy, i will do a Bscience, then try and transfer over to pharmacy later on. I dont want to go to csu- its my last option

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Ah. Again, my question wasn't really answered. Sorry.

But I do understand that it is an extremely demanding course and all.

And I'd rather do Pharmacy @ CSU and try transfer from there than do like BScience and transfer internally. But while reading up on some stuff, it looks like that I might not even get into CSU 'cos the UAI cut-offs were so high a few years back.

Ah. Crap. :(
it will be harder to maintain a distinction if u chose CSU for pharm because it is a more difficult degree compared to other science courses, thus limiting ur chances of obtaining the necessary marks.
someone doing an arts degree who maintain a distinction will have an equal chance of transferring as you. So if u want to get into usyd at all cost, its probably wise to pick your course carefully.

i doubt that the cut-off for CSU will sky-rocket to high 90's so don't give up hope

danz90

HSC
I was having a look at a review of BPharmacy at GoodUniGuide.com.au, and it seems the salaries aren't bad for graduates (except pre-registration).

As soon as we finish our degree, rate of employment is pretty much 100%, and for the first 12 months after we finish our degree, average salary is around $37,000 p.a. (pre-registration graduate salary)

Immediately after we are officially registered (post-registration with Pharmacy Board), i.e. 12 months after we finish our degree, our average salary jumps up to $60,000 p.a.

It also says that Pharmacy is a very regulated industry etc. etc. and there are very good job prospects, particularly with a skill shortage in Pharmacists in all areas.

Sounds good!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Deltan said:
A pharmacy degree isnt so easy at any uni, the requirement for usyd entry requires a distinction average.
Choose a course which u think u can maintain that mark, i would personally choose some science degree or medical science since you like science. =)

And I'd rather do Pharmacy @ CSU and try transfer from there than do like BScience and transfer internally. But while reading up on some stuff, it looks like that I might not even get into CSU 'cos the UAI cut-offs were so high a few years back.

dolbinau

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:

But weren't the cut offs really high when the course was just starting?

nchoy

HSC
Do you guys ever go to sleep!?
Yeh, pharmacy does have pretty good job prospect & resonably good salary. However, if you are employed by a big pharmacy, which is more than likely, you will become a dispensing machine. On the other hand, if you work in a small pharmacy, you are more than likely work as a locum, 2-3 days a week, and you will be expected to do a lot more than being a pharmacist. And believe me, the general public are not all that understanding.
What I am trying to say is, the salary is not everything.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Deltan said:
it will be harder to maintain a distinction if u chose CSU for pharm because it is a more difficult degree compared to other science courses, thus limiting ur chances of obtaining the necessary marks.
someone doing an arts degree who maintain a distinction will have an equal chance of transferring as you. So if u want to get into usyd at all cost, its probably wise to pick your course carefully.

i doubt that the cut-off for CSU will sky-rocket to high 90's so don't give up hope
Oh hey, I never saw that reply. Whoops.

So the requirements for transferring externally and internally for BPharmacy @ USYD is the same? Oh I see what you're saying now. Hm, either way, distinction average in any course is still very hard to manage. I shall ponder on this issue I thinks.

@ dolbinau: You're probably right. But I'm just thinking of how some people who won't get into Sydney might want to go to CSU, making it be in more demand and all. But as Deltan said, it probably won't go that high so let's hope. :)

nchoy

HSC
The only problem I think is there will be quite a few ppl thinking of doing the same thing. It will certainly be very competitive. Also, I just wonder if USyd will give preference to applicants for internal transfer.

piitb

HSC
Deltan said:

is your heart set on being a pharmacist or studying at sydney U?

problem with that is if you do a b.sci degree and you DONT get a DN average, which isnt easy, and you dont get the grades to transfer to sydney then your really stuffed.

you may aswell goto CSU, study pharm for 1 year, then if you really want to, then transfer to sydney..

there are no gaurantees either way, you may not get the DN average u need at CSU either, but at least if you do CSU pharmacy, you are going to be in a pharmacy course, also if you are sucessfull in transferring you would get all of first year credited towards your sydneyU pharmacy degree.

really 4 years goes real quick, especially when the uni semester is only 15 or so weeks. so really you have half a year to do whatever you want....

Last edited:

piitb

HSC
nchoy said:
The only problem I think is there will be quite a few ppl thinking of doing the same thing. It will certainly be very competitive. Also, I just wonder if USyd will give preference to applicants for internal transfer.
nope it does not matter. whatever gpa u get at usyd=gpa at uws =gpa at unsw

there is no "internal transfer" its all handled externally by UAC.

piitb

HSC
Deltan said:
If a student doesn't get a distinction average, should they really be comtemplating on a pharm degree in the first place?
I know getting a distinction isnt easy, but they would be putting themselves in a more difficult situation.
You be up against a competetive cohort in pharm and there is also of workload that is pretty difficult.
pharmacy isnt any more difficult than any other b.sci degree, heck is probably alot easier than engineering degrees

lala2

Banned
HSC
I wholeheartedly agree with pittb. CSU is not a bad place to be going to--moving away is a whole new experience, and in the case you don't make the transfer, at least you're still in a pharmacy course. To correct pittb, you may not get ALL your subjects credited as they're very anal about giving credit, but a large amount would be.

nchoy

HSC
lala2 said:
I wholeheartedly agree with pittb. CSU is not a bad place to be going to--moving away is a whole new experience, and in the case you don't make the transfer, at least you're still in a pharmacy course.

Exactly what I thought!

Zazo

Pharmacist :)
On earth, on a huge island, in the best city, Sydn
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Pharmacy is a really good degree and a great profession. If u really want to do pharmacy then apply for it at any uni. however if u really want to go to USYD then its better to do a B. Science or something like that and then pick the science subjects that pharm does.

We did BIOL1003 CHEM1611 first semester then MBLG1001 and CHEM1612 2nd semester. The Chem subjects are especially for pharm however my friends doing medical science took exactly the same topics as we did (doing a different chem subject) and my other friend got exempted from doing the chem and bio subjects as she had already done a sci degree.

anyways dw too much just hope for the best put pharm as ur first choice and hopefully u'll get in :)

By the way pharm is hard but not toooo hard it requires a lot of studying and commitment :)

GOODLUCK :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)