If I don't have maths assumed knowledge for science courses (1 Viewer)

whoknows5555

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm in year 11 and I am currently doing 2 unit Maths, which I cannot stand, it takes up a lot of my time, I generally don't like maths and I tend to do poorly in maths, which would mean it would bring down my ATAR, and I really don't wish to continue it in year 12 and would like to drop, however I do want to do a science related course, such as medical science or medicinal chemistry, etc. which I see all have maths as assumed knowledge (when it says maths, does it mean 2U maths?). My question is, would I be able to keep up in my courses if I don't do any maths at all in year 12 and don't do a bridging course (I hear that bridging courses don't help that much and that it's just a waste of time and money)?, what type of maths is generally involved in science courses? And would you guys still recommend I keep maths in year 12 or can I still keep up in science related courses if I dropped? Preferably answers from anyone who does a science course in uni and know what maths is involved. Thanks!

P.S
My other subjects are English 3U, Chem, Bio, Physics and History

lawstu

HSC
There's very little maths except in maths. In some disciplines or courses, there may be some basic arithmetic (e.g., dilution factors in biochemistry/chemistry, applying equations in physics). I do recall that physics used a little more maths.

I recommend doing a bridging courses simply to satisfy the requirements. You should be all right with the uni stuff.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
if the course requirment says 'hsc mathematics or equivalent' then they are referring to 2U maths

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
yes, the name for 2u maths has the name "mathematics" according to the bos.

You really need to stick to maths or you are going to find it really hard at uni. I did 3U and did OK in my HSC and found it really hard to do uni maths 101 and did the maths for life sciences which I could cope with.
To be honest, i'd get a tutor, as you will find a science degree requires math's skills even if its only the dilutions etc.
Presumably you have enough units that you don't need to count it for your atar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)