If I use the outlier formula, does the outlier found count as the outlier, or must it be greater than the outlier? (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
Okay so let's say that I use the higher outlier formula which is Q3 + 1.5IQR.

I get 15.5. SInce my data is discrete, should I either round up or down? I want to exclude 16 and include 15

Side tangent fuck Mathematics take home assignments. Littearlly tests nothing. People in the mentally hurt "Advanced" class(I call it math standard +)will liekly score higher than me because they try hards and im lazy. Seriously! There's this one guy in the dumb advanced class who unironcally thinks that integral of 1/x^2 is a natural logarithm. Despite my friend's attemps to convice him and even showing him the symbolab calculator. He thinks the entire internet is gaslighiting him. And he's paired with a big tryhard who's friends will all the extension 2 kids, and will likely score higher than me in this asssessment, despite my understanidng of maths being leagues better than his.

Note: I'm at a low band 6 level for math advanced rn. I'm not smart. It's more that they're extremely dumb. ANyway please ignore this rant i'm just angry and answer question

dav53521

HSC

I get 15.5. SInce my data is discrete, should I either round up or down? I want to exclude 16 and include 15

Side tangent fuck Mathematics take home assignments. Littearlly tests nothing. People in the mentally hurt "Advanced" class(I call it math standard +)will liekly score higher than me because they try hards and im lazy. Seriously! There's this one guy in the dumb advanced class who unironcally thinks that integral of 1/x^2 is a natural logarithm. Despite my friend's attemps to convice him and even showing him the symbolab calculator. He thinks the entire internet is gaslighiting him. And he's paired with a big tryhard who's friends will all the extension 2 kids, and will likely score higher than me in this asssessment, despite my understanidng of maths being leagues better than his.

Note: I'm at a low band 6 level for math advanced rn. I'm not smart. It's more that they're extremely dumb. ANyway please ignore this rant i'm just angry and answer question
I will say probably you should round up but you should ask your teacher as they'll be the one marking.

Also calling people in the lower math class "hurt "Advanced" and "math standard +" reflects incredibly poorly on your character and is really just an incredibly disrespectful and sad thing to say as just because you're more "gifted" at maths and in a higher math class doesn't mean you are better then them and that sort of thinking is not positive at all so I would recommend you to stop it. Also you scoring less then them because they try harder and you're lazy is your fault as in the end they realized they're not that good at maths and need to work on it because they want to improve, so they should earn higher as they are actually putting in work which is something you should do as if you put in the work you'll likely score better then them as you shouldn't be spoon-fed marks just because you believe that your maths is better due to you being in a better class.

Last edited:

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

Ask your teacher?

Bruh... if they r really that stupid, why did you get lower? You're making excuses... What does that change? It just makes you look stupid in the process... Change your mindset and don't see yourself as the outlier in your class. Because at the end of the day, your classmates did do better. Prove to the class that you're capable of more before you rant about how others are stupid despite them doing overall better than you.

Interdice

HSC
Also one last question. I have a "bi modal" populatoni graph
Ask your teacher?

Bruh... if they r really that stupid, why did you get lower? You're making excuses... What does that change? It just makes you look stupid in the process... Change your mindset and don't see yourself as the outlier in your class. Because at the end of the day, your classmates did do better. Prove to the class that you're capable of more before you rant about how others are stupid despite them doing overall better than you.
Assignment due on monday. I doubt they will respond.

And I get much higher marks than them. In my most recent test, I got within 1 mark of the top mark in my EXTENSION 1 class. And they do crazy expensive tutoring at matrix, and I just cram before exams. I'm talking about the take home where they will probably beat me because they will dedicate more time to this assignment, despite me knowing teh math better than them. If we do a examination, I will curbstomp them.

Interdice

HSC
I will say probably you should round up but you should ask your teacher as they'll be the one marking.

Also calling people in the lower math class "hurt "Advanced" and "math standard +" reflects incredibly poorly on your character and is really just an incredibly disrespectful and sad thing to say as just because you're more "gifted" at maths and in a higher math class doesn't mean you are better then them and that sort of thinking is not positive at all so I would recommend you to stop it. Also you scoring less then them because they try harder and you're because and you're lazy is your fault as in the end they realized they're not that good at maths and need to work on it because they want to improve, so they should earn higher as they are actually putting in work which is something you should do as if you put in the work you'll likely score better then them as you shouldn't be spoon-fed marks just because you believe that your maths is better due to you being in a better class.
Too late to ask teacher. And Yeah rounding up sounds fine

Yeah I just got angry. I was going to just ask that questoin, then I started ranting. When I get angry, I usually rant on the itnernet about anything that pissess me off. Also, I beat them in examinations, where I can study less and still get a higher mark. I hate take home. They suck and are unfair.

dav53521

HSC
Also, I beat them in examinations, where I can study less and still get a higher mark. I hate take home. They suck and are unfair.
They may seem unfair to you because you may be more mathematically capable but in the end they're getting a higher mark because they put in the effort while you didn't. So if you did put in the work then you would've scored higher so what you should do is put in work and not procrastinate hand-in assignments because if you're logic is correct then you should score higher. So I guess this can serve as a lesson as you can now see that if you put in the work you will get better marks so you should now put in the work and score better instead of blaming other things as deflecting and blaming other things never helps.

Interdice

HSC
They may seem unfair to you because you may be more mathematically capable but in the end they're getting a higher mark because they put in the effort while you didn't. So if you did put in the work then you would've scored higher so what you should do is put in work and not procrastinate hand-in assignments because if you're logic is correct then you should score higher. So I guess this can serve as a lesson as you can now see that if you put in the work you will get better marks so you should now put in the work and score better instead of blaming other things as deflecting and blaming other things never helps.
Well yes. I understand that. But competence should be rewarded. Not "effort".

But this assignment isn't gonna help anyone in the HSC. Half of my calcultions are done using excels functions. No excel in the exam. I also have no friends in my classes, so I'm doing the assignment alone, and these guys get groups. HSC isn't collaborative. I still don't understand why this stupid assessment has to exist. Fuck the boardofstudies for making take homes mandtory probably.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

And I get much higher marks than them. In my most recent test, I got within 1 mark of the top mark in my EXTENSION 1 class. And they do crazy expensive tutoring at matrix, and I just cram before exams. I'm talking about the take home where they will probably beat me because they will dedicate more time to this assignment, despite me knowing teh math better than them. If we do a examination, I will curbstomp them.
OH this is an assignment? Bruh those things never pan out. Crazy subjective. There were students in my 3U class that lost 26 marks due to a teacher's preference that differed to another's who marked the test. In both assessments in my 3U class, I've gotten 87%. Ik embarrassing. The only reason why I even got those marks was bc I did exceptionally better in the validation tests which weigh about 40% of the assessment. Assignments may become the reason why I get a mystery mark atar or smn ima be completely honest.

cossine

HSC

What you are referring to is Tukey's fence. It is not necessary to round. If you look at the section on wikipedia you will see square brackets are used which include the value E.g., the set [3, 5] includes all the numbers inclusive from 3 and 5. In contrast (3, 5) does not include 3 and 5 but does include all the number between 3 and 5. So the values outside the set [Q1 - 1.5IQR, Q3 + 1.5IQR] are outliers. Obviously you can modify the set if you want since you're data is discrete however as mention before it is not necessary.

That being said there no precise definition of outliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

Interdice

HSC
What you are referring to is Tukey's fence. It is not necessary to round. If you look at the section on wikipedia you will see square brackets are used which include the value E.g., the set [3, 5] includes all the numbers inclusive from 3 and 5. In contrast (3, 5) does not include 3 and 5 but does include all the number between 3 and 5. So the values outside the set [Q1 - 1.5IQR, Q3 + 1.5IQR] are outliers. Obviously you can modify the set if you want since you're data is discrete however as mention before it is not necessary.

That being said there no precise definition of outliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier
Oh okay. I see what you mean. All I have to do is mention it's discrete. Thanks!

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

then u should dedicate time to this assignment as well not be 'lazy' ?
if they spend more time on it than u bc ur lazy then they deserve to beat u

side note matrix is a trash tutoring centre their high prices only fund their giant investments and expansion interests and interior design adn shi they don't prioritise paying the tutors well and focusing on the students education

Interdice

HSC
then u should dedicate time to this assignment as well not be 'lazy' ?
if they spend more time on it than u bc ur lazy then they deserve to beat u

side note matrix is a trash tutoring centre their high prices only fund their giant investments and expansion interests and interior design adn shi they don't prioritise paying the tutors well and focusing on the students education
But studying and homework is sooo boring. I litterally would rather stare at a wall for 6 hours then do my homework/study. ANd the fun part about math advanced is that it requires no studying. I litterally come to early classes late, forget the book, don't do the homework and still beat most my peers. Extension's a bit harder. I fail to see why simpletons deserve to get higher marks than me beacuse they put more effort. I am smarter than them in math. They are better than me in other subjects, but not math.

Also matrix seems pretty good. I mean I would kill for their Chemistry and Physics resources. They average 95 atar.

Also didn't you used to be a girl? Or am i having a stroke.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
But studying and homework is sooo boring. I litterally would rather stare at a wall for 6 hours then do my homework/study. ANd the fun part about math advanced is that it requires no studying. I litterally come to early classes late, forget the book, don't do the homework and still beat most my peers. Extension's a bit harder. I fail to see why simpletons deserve to get higher marks than me beacuse they put more effort. I am smarter than them in math. They are better than me in other subjects, but not math.

Also matrix seems pretty good. I mean I would kill for their Chemistry and Physics resources. They average 95 atar.

Also didn't you used to be a girl? Or am i having a stroke.
then u deserve to do bad

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i still have to do adv assessments and for my financial math assignment i still tried on the alst night and still beat my adv friends just to piss me off, it was also really funny cuz i made a story it in and i also added memes and stupid stuff.

Interdice

HSC
You need to fix your ego, you'll do poorly in the HSC if you take this mentality with you
I checked. Band 5 in software. Band 6 in math advanced. E3 in extensoin. Band 4 in the rest. 75-80 atar. That's good enough for Comp sci at USYD. At uni I'll take a shit ton of adderall(Government perscribed speed) and get good grades. ANd not have to deal with assignments that have nothign to do with what they're teachering

ANd my ego isn't that big. I fully well accept I suck at many subjects. It's just that they're amazingly bad at math. Seriously. They can't do basic year 9/10 concepts. they don't understand logs. One of my friends studies with a few of them and their competence is ridiculously low. It amazes me that despite them probably pulling more hours than me and their tutors they still get wrecked. And it annoys me even more that they're taking my well deserved rank. I don't deserve to be dragged down for this. THEY'LL GET HIGH MARKS. IT'S NOT FAIR. I HATE THIS STUPID ASSIGNMENT. I had to walk aroudn asn ask my fellow students for data poitns and it was so awkwared. Why coudln't we just get a test. I'm defo gonna complain to the teacher. I mean for other subjects sure but not math. They aren't even giving a validatoin task.

Oh and the marking rubric is a can of worms. Seriously. it's sooo vague. I don't know what to do because of how vague it is. I'm gonna lose marks because of teh teacehr's own opinions. It happened with my extension assignemtn where I got a 60 percent and the tryhard nerds all got 90 percent for making theirs look pretty. I got yelled at by the head teaacher for how unorganized mine looked and that there were no pictures. Excuse me. This is math. Tell me where orgainzatin and pictures are in the rubric. Oh wait you can't because it wasn't in there, because it's a stupid assignment. stop being pussies and give us exams that are fair. Dear god.

Interdice

HSC
i still have to do adv assessments and for my financial math assignment i still tried on the alst night and still beat my adv friends just to piss me off, it was also really funny cuz i made a story it in and i also added memes and stupid stuff.
I'm a normal person and I don't find schoolwork fun. It's a chore

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I checked. Band 5 in software. Band 6 in math advanced. E3 in extensoin. Band 4 in the rest. 75-80 atar. That's good enough for Comp sci at USYD. At uni I'll take a shit ton of adderall(Government perscribed speed) and get good grades. ANd not have to deal with assignments that have nothign to do with what they're teachering

ANd my ego isn't that big. I fully well accept I suck at many subjects. It's just that they're amazingly bad at math. Seriously. They can't do basic year 9/10 concepts. they don't understand logs. One of my friends studies with a few of them and their competence is ridiculously low. It amazes me that despite them probably pulling more hours than me and their tutors they still get wrecked. And it annoys me even more that they're taking my well deserved rank. I don't deserve to be dragged down for this. THEY'LL GET HIGH MARKS. IT'S NOT FAIR. I HATE THIS STUPID ASSIGNMENT. I had to walk aroudn asn ask my fellow students for data poitns and it was so awkwared. Why coudln't we just get a test. I'm defo gonna complain to the teacher. I mean for other subjects sure but not math. They aren't even giving a validatoin task.

Oh and the marking rubric is a can of worms. Seriously. it's sooo vague. I don't know what to do because of how vague it is. I'm gonna lose marks because of teh teacehr's own opinions. It happened with my extension assignemtn where I got a 60 percent and the tryhard nerds all got 90 percent for making theirs look pretty. I got yelled at by the head teaacher for how unorganized mine looked and that there were no pictures. Excuse me. This is math. Tell me where orgainzatin and pictures are in the rubric. Oh wait you can't because it wasn't in there, because it's a stupid assignment. stop being pussies and give us exams that are fair. Dear god.
i mean assignments are mandatory and part of the nesa requrements
idk abt u bbut my assignemnts def help me improve a lot and think more in depths with the topics that they contained

dav53521

HSC

Data collection is important for work especially if you work in data science or other industries that require the collection and use of data and you'll have to turn that data into information so people can understand it. Plus you will have to deal with assignments/courses that don't have that much to do with comp sci as the Australian Computing Society mandates and ethics course if you want to be ACS accredited (which will be INFO1111: Computing 1A Professionalism at USYD) so you will have to deal with stuff that doesn't exactly fit in to your idea of comp sci and you're gonna have to suck it up because USYD school of computer science, your lecturer, subject coordinator and tutor will likely not care or bend over backwards to meet your idea of comp sci.

Plus you'll have to deal with group assignments and if you don't contribute because it's easy then you're likely gonna do bad in them as a non-contributor will likely get your mark dragged down and again you'll have no one else to blame but yourself.

Also you will likely deal with people who are less capable in certain areas at work and guess what you will have to work with them and deal with it as if you call them stuff like "simpleton" and they catch wind your professional career will not be an enjoyable one as that sort of stuff will not be tolerated in a company with good working conditions

Last edited:

Interdice

HSC
i mean assignments are mandatory and part of the nesa requrements
idk abt u bbut my assignemnts def help me improve a lot and think more in depths with the topics that they contained
True true. T
Data collection is important for work especially if you work in data science or other industries that require the collection and use of data and you'll have to turn that data into information so people can understand it. Plus you will have to deal with assignments that don't have that much to do with comp sci as the Australian Computing Society mandates and ethics course if you want to be ACS accredited (which will be INFO1111: Computing 1A Professionalism at USYD) so you will have to deal with stuff that doesn't exactly fit in to your idea of comp sci and you're gonna have to suck it up because USYD school of computer science, your lecturer, subject coordinator and tutor will likely not care or bend over backwards to meet your idea of comp sci.

Plus you'll have to deal with group assignments and if you don't contribute because it's easy then you're likely gonna do bad in them as a non-contributor will likely get your mark dragged down and again you'll have no one else to blame but yourself.

Also you will likely deal with people who are less capable in certain areas at work and guess what you will have to work with them and deal with it as if you call them stuff like "simpleton" and they catch wind your professional career will not be an enjoyable one as that sort of stuff will not be tolerated in a company with good working conditions
Fair enough. I can undertand data collectoin in sciece. But this is math. Cmon

And I'm sure "INFO1111" is a joke of a subject which is pretty much "IF you can angry at cowarker should you yell at them" Yes/no. And surprising some people who might not come from australia might actually answer yes.

And no I don't call them "simpletons" I don't throw fits at school. At msot I rant about them to my friends in extensoin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)